Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 18:22 It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 480 Q36 V21
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V31
GPA: 3.03
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 480 Q36 V21
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V31
GPA: 3.03
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Dominican, GMAT:620, WE:4yrs of quality [#permalink]
Expert Reply
houellemont wrote:
Thank you son much for taking the time to respond to my request, Jon.

Well, I'm a male and and I got my undergraduate from a university in my country (the best in economics): Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra

About the GMAT:

I have taken it twice, actually. The first time was in march 27 2013 and I scored 480 (Q: 36, V: 21). Evidently, I took it with no preparation. I underestimated how tricky this exam could be. The second time was last wednesday on december 10 2014, and I scored the 620 I wrote you in the first post. I'm VERY confident I can score higher. I was supposed to take the examan (the second time) on october 27 2014 but when I arrived to the test center they told there were some connection issues and I had to reschedule the exam (for free of course). I tought to reschedule a month later (december 10) to prepare a little bit more, instead I was so overwhelmed with work that I barely study. What worries me is what the universities I'll be applying would think of someone taking the examn 3 times. What do you think I should do about this?

Experience:

I can mention that the last time my boss gave me a feed back he emphasized how well I get along with all the people I've met at the institution. And this is something I've building up to reach my goals which I'll mention later.

I can tell a little bit more about my journey in this institution. I started in 2010 as an analyst in a department that develops and sales cash management products. I was in charge to create from scratch the reports needed to follow up how the sales were doing. I also prepare power points presentations with these results.

A year and a half later, I was promoted to assistant manager and my work now would consist not only in what I was already doing but also in creating (from scratch again) the reports that the executive VP of corporations business needed to follow up the results of his area. With these new tasks I had the oppotunity to learn for the first time how a bank really works.

A year after that I fill a request for an available position as assistant manager at the strategic planning department. In this new department I've been able to lear a lot more about the bank and other industries, but the most important thing I've learned is to think. My boss (he is executive VP of strategic planning and used to have high position at McKinsey) insists so much with this. When we make power points presention he insists that that even the smallest number in a slide must have a purpose to be in that slide. He also insists in the message we want share and how every slide in a presentation must take you to that message. We recentley merged with another bank and my boss was the manager of the project. With this I had the opportunity to work deep inside the merge. Oh, I almost forget to mention that I was recently promoted to manager.

Involvement:

Well, I've been a volunteer for over a year in an organization responsible for collecting dogs in the street, feed them, cure them when they've been mistreated, and put them up for adoption.

In my spare time I read and play or watch soccer. I'm also thinking in taking french classes since I want to apply to HEC Montreal and McGill.

Goals:

There's a good chance the company where I work offers me some financial aid. This means I would be returning to my country after the MBA. Following this path, my long term goals would be to keep escalating positions within the company or other company in my country.

I hope this helps you have a more wide view of my profile.
Thank you very much!

Hey there,
Sooo you are welcome!
:)

I think maybe the best piece of advice I can give you right now, is that if you are pretty sure you can get higher, then take your time to do it. I mean, you took the GMAT twice, and you will take it once more (hopefully only :) ) so there's NO advantage at ALL in rushing things. Go for it when you are ready and not a second before.

It's a bit early to think about schools right now, till you get that higher score ;)... but let's just say, the higher the better.

For your career, on the positive side, you have moved up quite well in the organization, and things look good with the new responsibilities. On the other side, retail banking is for MBAs a little bit the "Dwarf" of finance if you get my drift...

But don't worry about anything right now, other than acing that GMAT and enjoying your holidays,

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts