It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1699

Kudos [?]: 494 [2], given: 0

Location: Dhaka
Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 13:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:14) correct 34% (01:23) wrong based on 1463 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Q14.
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoids from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

hey ya......


Last edited by JarvisR on 10 Jul 2015, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
OA updated

Kudos [?]: 494 [2], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2005
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 14:20
2
This post received
KUDOS
E, I think.

I was initially thinking A. But settled on E as being the more correct answer.

This is a trap by the testing methodology by throwing up a seemingly good answer at the beginning and saving the best answer for last - kinda testing whether your brain has grown tired...

Does anybody know whether the order of the options is randomized by the CAT or remains the same for a particular question?

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1705

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 20:20
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.

if other than Cannabinoids stimulates the appetite, the resercher would have not found chamically injected mice not having intreset in feeding.

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 838

Kudos [?]: 90 [2], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 20:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
HIMALAYA wrote:
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.

if other than Cannabinoids stimulates the appetite, the resercher would have not found chamically injected mice not having intreset in feeding.

I disagree. Talking from a researcher's point of view, the mice would still have access to the mother's milk. A standard technique to study the actions of a substance is to block it using an inhibitor of the substance in study. One of the main concerns is the effects that the inhibitor may have by itself. So, E is the logical answer.

Kudos [?]: 90 [2], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 785

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 21:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
E is the best choice.


If it were not true, the observation on mice behaviour may be because of the inhibitant rather than the Cannabinoids.

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5201

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2005, 02:51
E. The purpose of the assumption is to isolate cannabinoids as the primary cause that stimulates the appetite.

BTW, the conclusion is true :lol:

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1705

Kudos [?]: 101 [1], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2005, 05:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
anandsebastin wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.

if other than Cannabinoids stimulates the appetite, the resercher would have not found chamically injected mice not having intreset in feeding.

I disagree. Talking from a researcher's point of view, the mice would still have access to the mother's milk. A standard technique to study the actions of a substance is to block it using an inhibitor of the substance in study. One of the main concerns is the effects that the inhibitor may have by itself. So, E is the logical answer.


hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............i will think about it again...................

Kudos [?]: 101 [1], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5032

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2005, 06:37
Premise:
1) The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids
2) Cannabinioids are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain
3) To investigate function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical to prevent canndibnoids from reaching brain receptors
4) Injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice

Conclusion:
5) Cannnabidnoids probably function to stimulate appeatite

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A, C and D are irrelevant

Between B and E, B is a better chioice. If Cannabinoids are the only substances in mamml's mlik that stimulate appetite, then preventing the brain from receiving information, the newborn mice would have far less interest in feeding

E however, just says the chemical that prevents cannabinoids from stimulating brain ceceptors does not independently inhibit appetite. However, how does this show that cannabinoids is the one and only substance in mammal's milk that stimulates appetite. There could be three to four stimulants, and E doesn't go out of the way to prove they don't exists.

B however states cannbinoids is the only substance, so there's no doubt only cannabinoids in milk will stimulate appetite.

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2005, 09:51
I think it is E

As a researcher myself, I know that E is one of the negative controls to be included in the experiment. I guess it is already assumed.

As the last sentence states "probable function", so B might not be the answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1699

Kudos [?]: 494 [0], given: 0

Location: Dhaka
Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2005, 10:28
Good job guys.... OA is E.

I don't have the OE, but you guys explained it very nicely.
Thank you.
_________________

hey ya......

Kudos [?]: 494 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 312

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 19:03
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 312

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 19:05
Assumption: "feeding" involves receptor action so B follows

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 909

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 19:14
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.


this was between B and E but i think E is a stronger assumption. it could be that the chemicals they injected caused the mice's appetites to decrease and not the absence of cannabinoids

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 312

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 19:22
beckee529 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.


this was between B and E but i think E is a stronger assumption. it could be that the chemicals they injected caused the mice's appetites to decrease and not the absence of cannabinoids


You are correct OA is E....please explain a little more on E!

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 115

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 21:19
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.


E.

The only variables that were different between the control group "normal newborn mice" and "injected newborn mice" was the chemical and the cannabinoids. Since we're testing for the latter, if we can fault the chemical, then the experiment is not valid.

B is not as strong because say, for instance, the chemical caused them to have only 10% of the energy they normally would have. This would not be a direct change in their appetite, but they may show low-appetite behavior.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 22:17
The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors "does not independently inhibit the appetite"
can u pls clarify on this

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1438

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2007, 06:52
ajay85 wrote:
The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors "does not independently inhibit the appetite"
can u pls clarify on this


Means it does not of its own accord (meaning by its own presence) inhibit appetite instead of indirectly inhibiting apetite by blocking canabinoids as mentioned in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 360

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2007, 06:30
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.



Its E....A--->B ..you have to make sure that there is no C --->B

or in simpler words there is no other alternative paths to the conclusion

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2553

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2007, 17:51
singh_amit19 wrote:
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoides from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their
mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.


E.

A: this was my contendor til I read E. But its weak.
B: this assumption is too extreme.
C: irrelevant
D: Irrelevant

E suggests that possibly the chemical was the cause. If this were the case the argument would be weakend. So E it is.

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2007, 18:30
agree with E.

If the chemical blocks appetite that it does not matter if it blocks cannabinoids.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2007, 18:30

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.