It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: As a result of a supernova explosion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16205 [1], given: 1952

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: As a result of a supernova explosion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:11) correct 29% (01:17) wrong based on 278 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 72: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was bombarded on February 23, 1987, by about 100 billion neutrinos; fortunately, neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter.

(A) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that
(B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which
(C) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which
(D) these harmless elementary particles are produced in nuclear reactions, and neutrinos
(E) these elementary particles, harmless products of nuclear reactions, are neutrinos that

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16205 [1], given: 1952

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1331 [5], given: 363

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Lots of disagreement on this one within the first few hours! I like that. It means we picked a fun one.

As is often the case on official SC questions, this one is mostly about logic and meaning, and the mechanics take a backseat. Fun times. And tricky, in my opinion.

Quote:
(A) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that

The first thing that catches my eye is the parallelism, and that looks OK: "...neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter." Fair enough.

And the meaning seems OK to me, too: it is indeed fortunate that neutrinos are harmless and that they interact weakly with matter. If they weren't harmless, we would have been toast thirty years ago, and we never would have experienced the joys of GMAT Club, the Colorado Rockies, snapchat, Game of Thrones, Steph Curry, or Taylor Swift. Keep (A).

Quote:
(B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which

I'm uncomfortable with that last bit that begins with "and which..." In theory, it's parallel with "which are harmless", but it's a little bit weird to have "which" without a comma here, since "which" is generally used as a non-essential modifier. I'm not 100% sure that this is wrong, but it doesn't seem quite right, either.

But more importantly: the meaning is warped. Stripping out the non-essential modifier, we have "fortunately, neutrinos... are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions." No, it really isn't fortunate that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions. The fortunate part is that they're harmless. (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which

There's that silly "and which" thing again. But in this case, there's nothing that could possibly be parallel to "which." So there's no grey area here at all: (C) is definitely wrong.

Quote:
(D) these harmless elementary particles are produced in nuclear reactions, and neutrinos

This has the same meaning problem as (B), since it seems to be saying that it's fortunate that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions. That really isn't the point of the sentence. (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) these elementary particles, harmless products of nuclear reactions, are neutrinos that

I see two issues here. First, the fact that the neutrinos are harmless is buried in a modifying phrase, and that's not great. Again, the heart of this part of the sentence is that it's fortunate that neutrinos are harmless, so (E) does a lousy job of conveying the meaning of the sentence.

Second, I also don't really understand that last modifier beginning with "that" -- sure, neutrinos interact weakly with matter, but the phrase "these elementary particles... are neutrinos that interact weakly with matter" suggests that there might be other types of neutrinos out there. And I don't think that's true. (E) doesn't quite get the meaning right, and that leaves us with (A).

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1331 [5], given: 363

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: QOTD: As a result of a supernova explosion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 11:07
Is it c, eliminate A & E 'that' is singular can not refer to plural neutrinos. Between B, C and D I chose C

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 11:12
IMO A.
Fortune is attributed to two factors 1. These are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions 2. These interact weekly with matter. Parallelism is justified by the use of 'that' to mention two factors correctly.
B. It's absurd to call the fact that neutrinos are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions, fortunate. How's this fortunate?
C & D : awkward usage of 'which' after 'and'. Parallelism is violated
E. Gives a meaning similar to the one conveyed by "Thank God, these particles are neutrinos that exhibit property A and not other properties B,C or whatever"-Weird !

We already know that bombardment is by neutrinos. Clause after the semicolon is expected to reveal facts about neutrinos that are FORTUNATE in this case.
This is rightly done in option A.
Awaiting OA.

Just do it !

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Last edited by TaN1213 on 01 Aug 2017, 11:26, edited 3 times in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 11:16
TaN1213 wrote:
IMO A.
Fortune is attributed to two factors 1. These are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions 2. These interact weekly with matter. Parallelism is justified by the use of 'that' to mention two factors correctly.
B. It's absurd to call the fact that neutrinos are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions, fortunate. How's this fortunate?
E. Gives a meaning similar to the one conveyed by "Thank God, these particles are neutrinos that exhibits property A and not other properties B,C or whatever"-Weird !

Awaiting OA.

Just do it !

Seems typo error. In D I could not find 'which'.
I think D is correct.

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 11:22
goalMBA1990 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
IMO A.
E. Gives a meaning similar to the one conveyed by "Thank God, these particles are neutrinos that exhibits property A and not other properties B,C or whatever"-Weird !

Awaiting OA.

Just do it !

I think D is correct.

Correcting Typo :

D. It's absurd to call the fact that neutrinos are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions, fortunate. How's this fortunate?
C & B : awkward usage of 'which' after 'and'. Parallelism is violated
goalMBA1990 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
IMO A.

Awaiting OA.

Just do it !

I think D is correct.

Just do it !

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 11:27
As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was bombarded on February 23, 1987, by about 100 billion neutrinos; fortunately, neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter.

(A) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that -Correct parallel structure
(B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which -The red part is being represented as non-essential information
(C) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which -incorrect
(D) these harmless elementary particles are produced in nuclear reactions, and neutrinos -Awkward construction
(E) these elementary particles, harmless products of nuclear reactions, are neutrinos that -Awkward construction

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 115

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 92

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A as well.

The answer statement and the independent clause starts with fortunately.
A) fortunately- neutrinos are harmless---- that are produced in nuclear reactions -that interact weakly with matter.

Looks alright, Let's hold this for now.

B) fortunately neutrinos (ignore the non restrictive modifier) are elementary particles

--> nothing fortunate about them being elementary particles, also which should be preceded by noun and "and which" isn't parallel to previous clause "neutrinos are elementary particles".WRONG

C) again parallelism issue same as in B. WRONG

"And" before which is redundant, "and which" should be replaced by restrictive modifier "that".

D) the sentence structure implies these harmless elementary particles and neutrinos are separate things. Wrong .

E)fortunately these elementary particles are neutrinos that interact very weakly with matter. (Ignore non-restrictive modifier)

Implies the fortunate thing is that these particles are neutrinos -when the sentence should factor that the fortunate thing is that "neutrinos are harmless elementary particles" - emphasis needed on harmlessness of the particles. WRONG

Based on elimination, A is my correct answer.

Please feel free to correct my reasoning. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Last edited by GmatBawse on 02 Aug 2017, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 92

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8782 [1], given: 328

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
maypardeep wrote:
Is it c, eliminate A & E 'that' is singular can not refer to plural neutrinos. Between B, C and D I chose C

Hello maypardeep,

I just want to let you know that your reason to reject Choice A and E is not correct.

In both these choices, that has been used as a relative pronoun modifier that modifies the preceding noun entity. When used a noun modifier, that can refer to both singular and plural noun entities.

For example:

This bouquet of flowers that are so rich in color is beautiful.

This bouquet of flowers that is partially wrapped in red wrapping paper is beautiful.

When that is used as just a pronoun, then it refers to only singular noun entities.

For example:

My car is older than that of my sister.

In Choice A and E, that has been used as a noun modifier and hence can very well refer to plural noun entity neutrinos.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8782 [1], given: 328

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 14:47
The answer should be A. It’s grammatically correct and maintains parallelism.
E makes an important piece of information - it’s a harmless particle - a non-essential modifier.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7585 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 17:54
Top Contributor

(A) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that ---- maintains 'that' parallelism and the correct choice.

(B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which --- 1. The missing of the comma before 'which' renders the choice ineligible. 2. You may observe, the second part is a relative clause connected by an 'and' and therefore the structure is un//.

(C) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which ------- 1. The missing of the comma before 'which' renders the choice ineligible. 2. The same error as in B

(D) these harmless elementary particles are produced in nuclear reactions, and neutrinos --- no connect between the neutrinos and these elementary particles in the second IC.

(E) these elementary particles, harmless products of nuclear reactions, are neutrinos that ---' are neutrinos that' is redundant.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7585 [0], given: 360

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 144

GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 22:57
I it is 2nd of august can someone please tell what OA is

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 144

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 91

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 08:34
GMATNinja wrote:
Lots of disagreement on this one within the first few hours! I like that. It means we picked a fun one.

As is often the case on official SC questions, this one is mostly about logic and meaning, and the mechanics take a backseat. Fun times. And tricky, in my opinion.

Quote:

The first thing that catches my eye is the parallelism, and that looks OK: "...neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter." Fair enough.

And the meaning seems OK to me, too: it is indeed fortunate that neutrinos are harmless and that they interact weakly with matter. If they weren't harmless, we would have been toast thirty years ago, and we never would have experienced the joys of GMAT Club, the Colorado Rockies, snapchat, Game of Thrones, Steph Curry, or Taylor Swift. Keep (A).

Quote:

I'm uncomfortable with that last bit that begins with "and which..." In theory, it's parallel with "which are harmless", but it's a little bit weird to have "which" without a comma here, since "which" is generally used as a non-essential modifier. I'm not 100% sure that this is wrong, but it doesn't seem quite right, either.

But more importantly: the meaning is warped. Stripping out the non-essential modifier, we have "fortunately, neutrinos... are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions." No, it really isn't fortunate that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions. The fortunate part is that they're harmless. (B) is out.

Quote:

There's that silly "and which" thing again. But in this case, there's nothing that could possibly be parallel to "which." So there's no grey area here at all: (C) is definitely wrong.

Quote:

This has the same meaning problem as (B), since it seems to be saying that it's fortunate that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions. That really isn't the point of the sentence. (D) is out.

Quote:

I see two issues here. First, the fact that the neutrinos are harmless is buried in a modifying phrase, and that's not great. Again, the heart of this part of the sentence is that it's fortunate that neutrinos are harmless, so (E) does a lousy job of conveying the meaning of the sentence.

Second, I also don't really understand that last modifier beginning with "that" -- sure, neutrinos interact weakly with matter, but the phrase "these elementary particles... are neutrinos that interact weakly with matter" suggests that there might be other types of neutrinos out there. And I don't think that's true. (E) doesn't quite get the meaning right, and that leaves us with (A).

Thanks for the brief and clear explanation :)

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 91

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 328

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 15:24
haardiksharma wrote:
I it is 2nd of august can someone please tell what OA is

Hello haardiksharma,

The OA is A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 328

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 166

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 16:01
A
'that' should be repeated to maintain parallelism.

Life is a challenge face it.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 166

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 20:45
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Hi GMATNinja,

Although i have also selected A, i am not sure why verb-ed modifier(produced in nuclear reactions) in option B is not modifying particles, just preceding noun.

what if B was as below-

neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles, produced in nuclear reactions and which

would this have corrected the meaning error ?

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 21:06
GTExl wrote:

Although i have also selected A, i am not sure why verb-ed modifier(produced in nuclear reactions) in option B&D is not modifying particles, just preceding noun.

what if B was as below-

neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles, produced in nuclear reactions and which

Hi There,
No it would not correct the meaning in B.
",which" modifiers are non-essential modifiers, and that means we can remove these phrases from the sentence, yet get the entire meaning.

B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which <- Original sentence
neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles, produced in nuclear reactions and which <- Your sentence

Now compare that with option A.
Quote:

Error

Neutrinos are harmless particles is the information the author is trying to convey but putting it in a non-essential modifier changes the meaning of the sentence, the change as you can see above.

Do you see the difference?

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 21:20
akshayk wrote:
GTExl wrote:

Although i have also selected A, i am not sure why verb-ed modifier(produced in nuclear reactions) in option B is not modifying particles, just preceding noun.

what if B was as below-

Hi There,
",which" modifiers are non-essential modifiers, and that means we can remove these phrases from the sentence, yet get the entire meaning.

B) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which <- Original sentence
neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles, produced in nuclear reactions and which <- Your sentence

Quote:

Error

Neutrinos are harmless particles is the information the author is trying to convey but putting it in a non-essential modifier changes the meaning of the sentence, the change as you can see above.

Thanks akshayk, for your reply.

but i am not talking about other issues in option B, i know we need an essential modifier there. what i am asking is why verb-ed modifier(produced in nuclear reactions) in option B is not modifying particles rather a far away noun "neutrinos"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 21:33
GTExl wrote:
akshayk wrote:
GTExl wrote:

what if B was as below-

Hi There,

Quote:

Error

Thanks akshayk, for your reply.

but i am not talking about other issues in option B, i know we need an essential modifier there. what i am asking is why verb-ed modifier(produced in nuclear reactions) in option B is not modifying particles rather a far away noun "neutrinos"

A small predicate is allowed to come between a noun and a noun modifier. If you have the Manhattan SC Guide, Look up Chapter 10.

As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was bombarded on February 23, 1987, by about 100 billion neutrinos; fortunately, neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which interact very weakly with matter.

Predicate - 'are elementary particles'
If we put this at the end of the sentence, it sounds awkward and confusing. Example below. This is especially true if the modifier is extremely long.
Quote:
fortunately, neutrinos, which are harmless, produced in nuclear reactions and which interact very weakly with matter are elementary particles.

Hope this helps!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 22:00
Hi akshayk

still i think a predicate is allowed only when we don't have any other logical entity in between that could also be modified. see below sentence-

A new CEO has been hired who will transform the company by decentralizing
authority to various division heads while increasing their accountability
through the use of public scorecards.

here it is perfectly fine for who clause to modify CEO because it can not modify anything else.

but in our case "produced in nuclear reactions" can perfectly modify "Particles". is't it ?

please do let me know if i am wrong.

Last edited by GTExl on 02 Aug 2017, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

QOTD: As a result of a supernova explosion   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 22:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ]