Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [154]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [67]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [8]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Can we count sensitivity as one sensitivity, two sensitivities, and three sensitivities? Can we say that we have two sensitivities, one in the morning and another in the evening? Sensitivity is the generic name given to the kind of general feeling that emanates within us. It is similar to hunger, appetite or anger and we do not say we have hungers, appetites, or angers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The core idea of the passage is to bring out the levels of haring sensitivity among three types of organisms, say A, B, and C and not to compare the sensitivity of A and B on one hand with C on the other. That the sensitivity of the all three happens to be similar up to 5000 Hertz is stated to highlight the difference among the three beyond that range.

This is the essence of the passage from top to bottom and in all the choices and so, there is no need to read in - between - the - lines that E distorts the original intent.

The choice of the correct answer is made easy here because the first four choices are popping up a visible goof-up

Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.

(A) Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans -- illegal comparison between sensitivity and humans.

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz -- illegal comparison

(C) Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar -- illegal comparison

(D) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar-- Illegal comparison

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz-- This choice cleverly avoids the comparison altogether.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
quick solving =
"Compared to" and "similar" is redundancy hence B D E out .
between A and E

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, above which the sensitivity begins to differ. correct 1= "which" correctly modify hertz . 2= correct comparison

(A)Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ. = 1= INCORRECT use of "which" 2= incorrect comparison as I COLORED !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Before "above which" there must be the frequencies => strike out A, C, D

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz
=> Mistake in parallelism when comparing humans with hearing sensitivity

So E is correct!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ERROR ANALYSIS -

1) 'which' is a relative pronoun which must be preceeded by the thing it describes - here 100-5000 Hz

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) 'which' is a relative pronoun which must be preceeded by the thing it describes - here 100-5000 Hz
B) Here S-V does not agree in number - use of 'are' is incorrect
C) 'which' is a relative pronoun which must be preceeded by the thing it describes - here 100-5000 Hz
D)'which' is a relative pronoun which must be preceeded by the thing it describes - here 100-5000 Hz
E) CORRECT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
I eliminated A on the basis that the Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz was wrongly modifying monkeys. It should be modifying the hearing sensitivity. I'm curious to know whether my basis for elimination is correct or not. GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo gmatexam439 VeritasKarishma chetan2u mikemcgarry and all the experts and anyone who knows about this, would love to have your take on this. Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I choose e but there is a problem
we can say that 2 things begin to differ. we can not say a thing begins to differ. so, we need plural form for choice e
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jainam24 wrote:
I eliminated A on the basis that the Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz was wrongly modifying monkeys. It should be modifying the hearing sensitivity. I'm curious to know whether my basis for elimination is correct or not. GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo gmatexam439 VeritasKarishma chetan2u mikemcgarry and all the experts and anyone who knows about this, would love to have your take on this. Thanks

"over a range ..." is not modifying the noun "the hearing sensitivity". It is modifying "similar" (an adjective).
Over what range/when is it similar? Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz. It acts as an adverbial modifier. Hence, even if we place it at the beginning of the sentence, there is no problem.

For example,
Over the past 10 years, the company has seen rising profits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
vvijay26 wrote:
Hi, Isn't there a subtle meaning change in option E? It seems that the comparison is between the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets with that of humans. But as E is worded, it seems to compare the hearing sensitivity of the 3 -> monkeys vs. marmosets vs. humans. For example, we could infer the meaning that above 5kHz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets starts to differ, whereas it seems to me thats not what the original intent (Monkeys/Marmosets hearing vs. Hearing of humans) was.
Please help clarify.

GMATNinja KarishmaB

I too have the similar doubt as Vvijay26. Could you please clarify this?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohitwadhwa28 wrote:
vvijay26 wrote:
Hi, Isn't there a subtle meaning change in option E? It seems that the comparison is between the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets with that of humans. But as E is worded, it seems to compare the hearing sensitivity of the 3 -> monkeys vs. marmosets vs. humans. For example, we could infer the meaning that above 5kHz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets starts to differ, whereas it seems to me thats not what the original intent (Monkeys/Marmosets hearing vs. Hearing of humans) was.
Please help clarify.

GMATNinja KarishmaB

Hello mohitwadhwa28,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, since the comparison here is meant to denote sameness among the three elements, both comparison construction convey the same meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mohitwadhwa28 wrote:
vvijay26 wrote:
Please help clarify.

GMATNinja KarishmaB

It sounds like you might be using choice (A) to determine the "original intent"? If so, that's not what you want to do. There's nothing special about choice (A), and we certainly are not required to stick to the meaning expressed in choice (A).

As described in this post, (A) has to go, so we can forget about it and any meaning that it implies. :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Gnpth wrote:
Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.

(A) Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

(C) Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar

(D) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, and above this range, the sensitivity begins to differ.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Modifiers + Comparisons
• A comparison can only be made between similar things.
• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

A:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly modifies "humans" with the phrase "above which the sensitivity begins to differ", illogically implying that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans begins to differ above humans; the intended meaning is that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans begins to differ above the range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.
2/ Option A incorrectly compares "a hearing sensitivity" to "humans"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the hearing sensitivity" with the plural verb 'are".
2/ Option B incorrectly compares "a hearing sensitivity" to "humans"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

C:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "a hearing sensitivity" to "humans"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

D:
1/ This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "when compared to humans"; the use of "when" incorrectly implies that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar, at the point in time when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz; the intended meaning is that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is, as a matter of fact, remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz.
2/ Option D incorrectly compares "hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets" to "humans"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

E: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "The hearing sensitivity" with the singular verb "is".
2/ Option E uses the phrase "is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz" and correctly refers to "100 to 5,000 hertz" with the phrase "above which the sensitivity begins to differ", conveying the intended meaning - that the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is, as a matter of fact, remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, and above this range the sensitivity begins to differ.
3/ Option E correctly compares the hearing sensitivity of monkeys with that of marmosets and of humans.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Which", "Who", "Whose", and "Where" on GMAT you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 710
Send PM
mohitwadhwa28 wrote:
vvijay26 wrote:
Please help clarify.

GMATNinja KarishmaB

Hi mohitwadhwa28 vvijay26, taking a wild guess here but if the sentence says that the hearing sensitivity of Monkeys and Marmosets is similar to the hearing sensitivity of humans, then doesn't this mean that the hearing sensitivity of all three is similar within that range?
Think about it this way, the hearing sensitivity of Monkeys and the hearing sensitivity of Marmosets are similar (these two are similar to) to the hearing sensitivity of humans => All three are similar

We can't have one hearing sensitivity for Monkeys and Marmosets.

Another way, which is extremely and totally unrelated, is A & B = C -> A = C and B = C, so we can write A, B, and C are equal (Choice E mentions this).

I could be totally wrong but just wanted to simplify the logic behind saying all three are similar.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts