Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 23:46 It is currently 11 May 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1852 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General
Schools:Cornell (R1),
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Re: Question [#permalink]
This is definitely a valid question that I've seen come up in BW discussions as well. As the OP alluded to, I think it applies to many career switchers. There's definitely a different types of career leaps though . . . for example, everything that I've read about PE/VC tells me that it's extremely difficult to get into regardless of what prior WE someone has. So while it's true that someone from a finance background may have a better shot, as an adcom I would probably expect that anyone with PE/VC as a goal better have a real clearly laid out and rational plan for achieving it. On the other hand, someone who's going into general management might have a easier time outlining how he or she might succeed.

Ultimately, I think it's a double edged sword, to be handled delicately. On one side, a unusual career jump, ex. journalist to investment banker, might bring up questions about post-MBA placement. On the flip side, being able to make an argument for trying to achieve your dreams while acknowledging its challenges can be a compelling reason why you should be at that particular school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
I think the future goals largely play into the so-called "applicant pool" concept. It isn't only what background you are applying from but also where you want to go. The plausibility of your goals and explanations are I think more important than the area per se'.

Every admissions person I've talked to is cognizant of the fact that a reasonable % of people they admit find out IB/MBB isnt what they really want to do after they are admitted - sometimes even after one whole year of recruiting and interning in that function. So then the question arises: why so much emphasis on goals? People have been known to change right?

This is my perspective. There are, I believe, 2 reasons they stress the goals:

(a) Clear definition of where you are going and how you want to get there indicate a great deal of lucidity in your thought process. You like a person who is raring to go out of the gate and isn't going to spend the first semester learning about post-modern influences in art (unless your goal is to become a gallery owner/book publisher).

(b) In the event that you find out that what you originally thought you wanted isn't what you wanted - you are more committed to finding out what you truly want before your tenure at the school ends. You're the kind of person who worries OK consulting/Banking isn't what I REALLY want so what should I do - general management maybe? Then you bring the same lucidity of thought/enthusiasm you brought to your original goals to your new goal and you're still good to succeed.

Take for example someone who is looking start their own project after graduation - if the only criterion was placement statistics then nearly every person who applied with a goal of beginning their own company would hit the dust.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1852 [0]
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I like this...

gregarious wrote:
On the flip side, being able to make an argument for trying to achieve your dreams while acknowledging its challenges can be a compelling reason why you should be at that particular school.
GMAT Club Bot