Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Quitting job before R2 interviews [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dudey wrote:
Okay, so mine seems like a regular situation but I'd like to know what you guys think.

I have an R1 admit to a school. And I have a few R2 applications in play. If I don't get into these R2 schools, I'm definitely taking up my R1 admit.

So, here's my question. Can I quit right away? I feel like the following are items to consider:

[*] If I get an interview invite from one of my R2 schools, should I mention I've quit my job? Does that reflect poorly on me?
[*] Or should I talk like I'm still in it? I've worked at my job long enough to be able to "talk" like I'm still in it, even though I may not be.
[*] Do schools ask for employment proof when they take official documents during admission? Can they say something like "You claimed to be employed during your interview, but your records show you were not. Sorry, no admit for you!"

Help, all ye wise brethren.

You can quit if you want, but AFTER you have gotten accepted. I mean you wouldn't be lying because obviously your employment is considered at the moment you applied, cause that's when you sent in the app. But if you get in, nobody will retract their admit if you decide you need a few months off.

Best,
JF
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Why would you consider quitting? This seems like a terrible idea unless you have something specific in mind (for instance, building a start-up company).

Either way, don't lie to admissions if you do quit. I think we're all in agreement on that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks a ton for your responses, guys. Makes a lot of sense. Sorry for this late acknowledgement, I got really busy with a couple interviews, and also, didn't realize there were responses on this thread.

Well, let me give you some more background. I've worked in the same company for 9.5 years. Been a consistently recognized performer throughout. However, I also have a parallel career in the arts as an actor and director. My intention to quit is so I can have some time to pursue this passion. Perhaps make a short film, or direct a play -- something that I've been wanting to do forever.

How will this appear to potential recruiters most-MBA? My post-MBA target function/industry in Strategy/IT, so that obviously is not related to my creative field. Does it sound horrible if I were to say that I took 6 months off to do something I've always wanted to do, before the blender-without-a-top life that is the MBA? Or does it say indicate that, hey, here's a guy with diverse interests, someone who took some time off to pursue a passion?

Your thoughts, as usual, will be invaluable.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot