Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 05:57 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 05:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11709 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3689 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: RC - can't improve [#permalink]
gmat730must wrote:
Guys

I have read every article I could possibly find on the subject, have changed strategy from skimming to understanding the passage in the first go, however after almost 1 month of changes, study etc I don't see any major improvement in accuracy on RC.

Major problem areas are:
1) detail question
2) inference question

On both these types I am most of the times left with 2 options and end up selecting the wrong option most of the times.

I also prepare notes for each paragraph of the passage but usually end up relying upon my memory to answer these questions as I am usually short of time and hence don't get the opportunity to get back to the passage to search for details. I take up 5-6 minutes to read and understand the passage and I think this could be a major area of improvement, though don't know how to cut this time to 3-4 mins max.

Any strategy to improve accuracy? Please help....I need it.

Regards

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi gmat730must,

There's usually a booby trap answer choice. If you are between two choices and picking that one, you are likely picking the one that the test question creator is trying to get you to choose. Don't fall for these booby traps. Identifying the "seemingly easy" answer -- is something we do to spot the booby trap so you don't fall into it.

For reading passages, we recommend reading these passages to get the feel for the content you might see during the test: https://harvardmagazine.com/topic/Research - this will help speed up your time issue -- which you mentioned.

You may find these videos helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
RC - can't improve [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmat730must,

To start, a V33 is pretty good, especially when you consider that you seem to be self-teaching your way through the Verbal section. With a V33, you're likely missing out on some points in more than just RC though, so if your goal is to score at a much higher Verbal level, you might find it worthwhile to invest in some Verbal-centric resources that will teach you the necessary Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the Verbal section. Keep in mind that this will require changing your 'mechanics' - whatever 'bad habits' you've formed during your studies need to be 'fixed' (and replaced with new 'good habits.').

1) Have you scheduled an Official Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 17 Jun 2016, 16:17.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 18 Jun 2016, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hey Rich

I am going to schedule the exam for 9th July as post that I will be extremely busy with job and other areas of my life.

Please suggest

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmat730must,

Given your limited timeframe and everything that you've described,, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it should fit your timeline. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
gmat730must wrote:
Guys

I have read every article I could possibly find on the subject, have changed strategy from skimming to understanding the passage in the first go, however after almost 1 month of changes, study etc I don't see any major improvement in accuracy on RC.

Major problem areas are:
1) detail question
2) inference question

On both these types I am most of the times left with 2 options and end up selecting the wrong option most of the times.

I also prepare notes for each paragraph of the passage but usually end up relying upon my memory to answer these questions as I am usually short of time and hence don't get the opportunity to get back to the passage to search for details. I take up 5-6 minutes to read and understand the passage and I think this could be a major area of improvement, though don't know how to cut this time to 3-4 mins max.

Any strategy to improve accuracy? Please help....I need it.

Regards

Hey gmat730must,

To improve RC - you really need visual guidance. Don't read articles about how to improve reading. You improve by actually doing or watching someone else do.

That's why you might find these video walkthroughs helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot