Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: need help with re-take strategy: 680 to 750 in 4 weeks [#permalink]
Thank you both, very helpful.

Prateek, can I ask what you mean by "50 points more won't harm" for Knewton? Do you mean that it can't hurt to hit a score of 50 in verbal (vs. focusing on fixing quant)? Or something else?

Also, one thing I didn't mention that now I'm reading in a lot of places: the one area in quant where I spent little to no time was Data Sufficiency. I convinced myself that learning the PS problems would give me a better command of content and when my MGMAT tests weren't showing much difference in my performance on DS vs. PS I assumed I'd be fine. Looking back I'm thinking that might have been an oversight. Would others agree? The good news is I haven't barely touched the OG problems for DS so I have some fresh material.

Aside from this, I think I'm going to spend some time on the difficult quant questions posted on this site that others have praised and see if my quant scores start to budge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Data sufficiency is a world of it's own, Ambrose. It's true that the basics to be used are same as that of PS, but we approach the answers in different ways. There are different mechanisms people use in working out DS problems. The basic one is that of AD/BCE or BD/ACE approach. This cuts down the confusing time into half. Aslo, I'd suggest following Bunuel's (Quant Moderator) posts. That guy does a lot of amazing work everyday. He always provides one of the best possible solution to the problem. You will learn a lot from reading his posts daily.,
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
ambrose6 wrote:
Thank you both, very helpful.

Prateek, can I ask what you mean by "50 points more won't harm" for Knewton? Do you mean that it can't hurt to hit a score of 50 in verbal (vs. focusing on fixing quant)? Or something else?

Also, one thing I didn't mention that now I'm reading in a lot of places: the one area in quant where I spent little to no time was Data Sufficiency. I convinced myself that learning the PS problems would give me a better command of content and when my MGMAT tests weren't showing much difference in my performance on DS vs. PS I assumed I'd be fine. Looking back I'm thinking that might have been an oversight. Would others agree? The good news is I haven't barely touched the OG problems for DS so I have some fresh material.

Aside from this, I think I'm going to spend some time on the difficult quant questions posted on this site that others have praised and see if my quant scores start to budge.

By 50 points i meant over all score and not just verbal,since they have 50 points improvement program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi Ambrose,

I'm in the same shoes as you- this post might be helpful: gmatclub dot com/forum/gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Hope you show them what you're made of! ;)

Best,

P.M.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all for the advice. Took it today and came out at 760 (Q49, V44). Given the help I think this board provided figured the least I could do is give my own perspective of what worked better:

Preparation:
-spent more time since my first test reviewing wrongs and re-doing anything I got wrong until i understood it. I also mentally tried to tease out general themes for why I was getting things wrong and make the necessary adjustments. In general, spend less time answering new problems and more time reviewing wrong and/or slow problems.
-Covered all (content) bases - can't overemphasize the importance of this, at least for me. Before my first test, I had not done a single verbal study guide or problem outside of the practice tests. I realized too late (after my test) that my verbal scores were really inconsistent and I couldn't count on just having one of my good days on test day. So I actually spent some time with the hardest sentence correction and critical reasoning problems, and also made sure I eliminated all errors on medium/sub-700 questions.
-from an overall focus standpoint, the best advice I got over the whole GMAT experience was that verbal (for me) was worth way more than quant, the old 80%/80% hurdle isn't really true, and therefore rather than focusing on my weakness - Quant - I should make sure I aced verbal. Hands down the most helpful thing I heard the whole time (thanks manhattan gmat).
-Practiced as I played - every test was with writing and IR section, which I hadn't done previously.

Test day
-On my first test I think I wanted to be "extra sure" of every answer on the actual test. Horrible idea. Take the test just as you took the practice tests - don't second guess answers. It will only lead to time management issues and right-to-wrong switches.
- I scheduled the first one at 8am and I'm not a morning person. I also took an ambien the night before (anticipating that I'd be too nervous to sleep). I don't think either of those was a great idea. This time I took the test at noon and didn't take a pill the night before.
-I also don't discount that I took advantage of every break to eat a kind bar, drink caffeine, and splash cold water on my face. I felt fresh starting each new section. Do this.

Good luck to everyone - hopefully a 680 to 760 in 31 days story provides some inspiration to some.
GMAT Club Bot