Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: Retake Advice (720, Q47, V41) [#permalink]
Hi dicetherice,

I didn't use Magoosh, but more practice always helps. Sounds like a good plan. Also, there is a nice thread on this forum
- check it out ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !

You've got a great verbal score, and you want to maintain it. I'd suggest to keep on practicing verbal part of the test. If you're done with both free official CATs, you can get all the questions from them here:

ALL GMATPrep questions QUANT/Verbal
The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC

Keep coming to this forum, you'll find tonns of great stuff here :) For example, this post

Hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1994 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
dicetherice wrote:
Hello,

I took the GMAT today for the first time and was thrilled to see I got a 720 (Q47, V41, IR8)! I started off my prep four months ago and scored a 610, so this was a tremendous improvement. I took a MGMAT CAT two days prior to the exam and scored a 690 (Q45, V38), and was expecting something in the 690-700 range on exam day. Needless to say I'm pumped, I did better than I thought I would.

Having said that, coming into the exam I fully expected I would get a score that I would be happy with, but I was still expecting to try and take the exam again. I know the average score for the top B-schools is around a 730 - does this score make me competitive enough to get into these top schools? I'm particularly worried about the 47 quant score as it appears that B-schools rate that a little bit more heavily. Does my IR8 do anything to help my competitiveness? Also, do demographics come into play? Does the fact that I'm a white male help/hurt my chances?

I'm just curious if this score makes me competitive enough to get into these schools or if I should try to push my score even higher. I studied for the GMAT pretty heavily during my senior semester of college, and now that I'm starting a full-time job rigorously studying will become much more difficult. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi
First of all congrats on your very good score. IMO a Quant score of 47 is average and it depends on the colleges that you are applying on how much importance they give to individual scores. Generally, the top 10 schools do stress on good Quant and Verbal scores. An IR score of 8 will suffice to some extent about the relatively low Quant score. But if you have time and patience then you may give another try at the Gmat. The above posts by Akela has suggested the Gmatclub resources for Quant that will prove to be very helpful. All the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4657 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
dicetherice wrote:
Thanks for the response and guidance! I haven't gotten my ESR because I don't have the official score yet. I do plan on getting it.
You don't need the official score to get the ESR. The ESR code can be bought anytime, and the link to enter that code will appear sometime after your exam (but usually before the official score report is generated).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses! I really appreciate all the help from the community - great to see everyone caring about other's success. I will take the advice given in this thread and shoot to improve my Quant score past a 49 while maintaining or slightly improving my verbal score. I'm going to be utilizing this forum more for my prep.

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot