It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Set26-21 Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 880

Kudos [?]: 813 [0], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Set26-21 Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 11:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Set26-21

Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering in
igloos, the ice-block domes that are peculiar to north-central Canada,
and in structures made of stones, bones, driftwood, and skins.
A. Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering
B. During recent times, the Inuit people lead a nomadic existence,
sheltering.
C. In the times that are recent, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence,
sheltered.
D. Up until recently, the Inuit people, leading a nomadic existence,
have sheltered.
E. Until recent time, leading a nomadic existence, the Inuit people
were sheltered.

Kudos [?]: 813 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 730

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 99

Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 12:50
Economist wrote:
Set26-21

Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering in
igloos, the ice-block domes that are peculiar to north-central Canada,
and in structures made of stones, bones, driftwood, and skins.
A. Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering
B. During recent times, the Inuit people lead a nomadic existence,
sheltering.
C. In the times that are recent, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence,
sheltered.
D. Up until recently, the Inuit people, leading a nomadic existence,
have sheltered.
E. Until recent time, leading a nomadic existence, the Inuit people
were sheltered.


B - changes the meaning.
C- akward
D- tense problems ... it should be past tense because now we know that task is done and dusted :)

E- passive voice and I think akward construction as well.

So I pick A on POE.

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 263

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 2

Location: nj
Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 15:18
in A if we remove the comma part "the inuit..existence" , sentence doesnt make sense.

it should be E

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 730

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 99

Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 16:43
neeshpal wrote:
in A if we remove the comma part "the inuit..existence" , sentence doesnt make sense.

it should be E


yes you are correct ... didn't see from that angle ... thanks.

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 263

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 2

Location: nj
Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 08:17
this sentence was taken from this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/22/nyreg ... useum.html

5th paragraph

and according to this its A.

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 317

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 4

Location: Washington DC
Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 21:17
Well we already know that OA is A. My take from this question, we need sheltering..why? Because thats continuous activity, hence only A and B qualify. Between them choice is obvious.

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 639

Kudos [?]: 620 [0], given: 6

Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 09:42
I have found this same question from verbal set where the OA is D.

Do you believe that D could be the answer? Some people say that "until" should precede particular time ex. "until 8AM". I think A should be OK. Please post your explanation.
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Kudos [?]: 620 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 803

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 14:41
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I have found this same question from verbal set where the OA is D.

Do you believe that D could be the answer? Some people say that "until" should precede particular time ex. "until 8AM". I think A should be OK. Please post your explanation.



D? "up until" doesnt sound right..does any one have proof that this is correct?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 211

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

Re: Inuit people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2009, 18:48
bigtreezl wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I have found this same question from verbal set where the OA is D.

Do you believe that D could be the answer? Some people say that "until" should precede particular time ex. "until 8AM". I think A should be OK. Please post your explanation.



D? "up until" doesnt sound right..does any one have proof that this is correct?



D does not sound right because "Up ...until" (which is not wrong but I think is awkward) suggests past and then it is "leading" which does not concur.

A baby. I meant "A" baby. Not a baby.
_________________

-talent is the desire to practice-

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

Re: Inuit people   [#permalink] 20 May 2009, 18:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, alimad 2 19 Jun 2008, 15:37
Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, goalsnr 4 18 Jun 2008, 14:31
Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, prasannar 0 09 May 2008, 23:18
Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, mymba99 4 28 Apr 2008, 22:56
Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, singh_amit19 11 17 Oct 2007, 16:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Set26-21 Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.