Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Setting up interviews to use as "practice" [#permalink]
isa wrote:
Ha I totally did that in undergrad. Funny thing is, the job I currently have now, I got as a result of the "practice" interview.

I did that in undergrad too. Not to get practice interviews, but just to apply as many as I can and go to all the interviews so I can get multiple offers.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I felt guilty about it because I think I got 16 first round interview invites and because of interview time/date overlapping, I canceled like 5 of them. Needless to say, those slots could have went to other people. I deserve negative kudos for that.....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Don't most career services offices offer mock interviews? That way you get to practice interviewing without taking slots from your classmates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Finance - IB
Schools:Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen
Send PM
Like Jerz said, I think most schools would offer practice interviews. I can't speak for everyone, but I know IU does these rapid fire interviews where you interview back to back to back to back with other students (who may have been hiring managers themselves at one point) and faculty. The point being to try and fluster you and prepare you for an actual interview. If you go through that a few times, I think you'd have a solid base for almost any interview, plus you get feedback from a variety of people. So if all 4 or 5 people tell you that you talk too fast, then you know it's something you should work on. All the current students I have talked to said they love it for the prep it gives them. Scheduling practice interviews for real jobs probably isn't necessary if your school does something like this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
If these companies are of interest to you, even remotely, I don't think it is wrong.

In my undergrad, I have made the mistake to interview with my top choices right away (did not really have a choice...) and I could not really practice much. So i would not worry, especially at the beginning when you really don't know who is going to make you an offer...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
This type of behavior is really frowned on since basically you are screwing your classmates...its a good way to get classmates to think less of you if that is why you are doing an interview. If you are somewhat interested and its a plan C thats one thing and people might find it annoying but that is pretty common. A lot of big companies come and interview 12-24 people, some are super popular with lots of people and you may be taking an interview slot from someone whose dream is to have that job. If you arent interested in working for a company and know if you got anything else you would never ever take that job...then do not drop a resume and cover letter for it.

That said, at Kellogg there are these is "first come-first serve" this means after bidding for open list spots if there are any spots still available they get posted. There is a certain time these come out and if you are right on it, then you definitely can pick up one of these spots. The first few rounds usually has a few of companies get posted. No one will ever complain about you taking one of these.

A way to ensure some of these companies if a school has open lists you can bid on those...if it is only going to be practice its in poor taste to bid high since that means the company is popular and plenty of people really want to work there. At Kellogg can bid 0 points and it gets you on the list and if not enough people bid points then you can get a spot. Its the same as "first come-first serve" in my opinion because no one can complain about you interviewing if you only bid 0.

Alright now that you know what is the more socially acceptable ways of getting real life practice interviews, personally I see absolutely NO reason to do that. Clubs do interview prep, 2nd years are more than willing to help, classmates (some of whom interviewed lots of people in the past) will help you, and of course there are video taped mock interviews. The video taped mocks are great practice since not only do you practice your answers to questions but you can watch your body language. Personally 2nd years and clubs are one of the best resources, some do a better job. Honestly, I think sometimes the biggest advantage of a school in their recruiting for specific things is the strength of those clubs. I heard how great of a job our MC club does in prepping people. If a school has an amazing rep in a field, some of that is probably directly related to the club, students, and how well they prepare their people.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I heard how great of a job our MC club does in prepping people.

Though I am a mere admitted student at this point, I second rivers assertion that the MC club at Kellogg is fantastic (based on the encounters I had during DAK as well as taking a look at the club website). I definately think the MC club has a large part to play in Kelloggs outstanding track record in placing prospective consultants in the top firms.
GMAT Club Bot