Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
Re: Should I bother applying the better schools? [#permalink]
coolfish1103 wrote:
I just recently took my 3rd test before Thanksgiving, and I am probably not interested in taking the test again and spend another $250... so I would like some feedback on what I should do.

I finished college work in March 2006, and graduated in June 2006. I started working since March 2006 at the company and I am currently still in the same company. The company isn't big, just a small sized office with some workers... and they pay isn't as great as one would think. But, over the course of the 2 years, I have been sent to China and Taiwan numerous to do quality inspections on ready to ship products and other product related negotiation deals... so I don't know if this oversea experience would work great?

I plan to apply for Fall 2009... and already started my applications. I don't want to leave the Southern California region, so I have started the application on the following schools: 1) UCLA, 2) USC, 3) UCI, 4) Claremont, and 5) UCR. I know some of the choices I have up there are probably not even top listed... but I still would like some suggestions on whether I should bother with UCLA/USC and whether my old scores will hurt me or not...

Before I graduated, I did want to go into MBA directly. However, something happened within the family so I had to push the plan away for about 3 years. My GPA isn't that great either.. probably on the edge of applying to the schools... Back then, I took the first test because I want to know how it works... so it was very horrible. Then, due to the family problems... I did not really prepare for the 2nd test at all... since I know I wouldn't be able to go to any school what-so-ever. Now I have almost 3 years worth of work experience, I wonder if that's a great add-on since my position is quality inspector (not something management related)?

February 2006: Score 480, I believe the Verbal was 17 and Math was 41, AWA 5.
March 2006: Score 560, I believe the Verbal was 19 and Math was 47, AWA 5.
November 2008: Score 640, Verbal 24, Math 51, AWA is not yet available, but probably not as good as before.

Overall GPA: 2.93, Last 2 Years GPA: 3.03.

If you have concerns why my Verbal score is so low, I am not a native speaker, and moved over to the US when I was 12 (although I am sure there are some non-native speakers who get high scores in verbal... I may just not have the brains or studied as hard since I have to work).

https://merage.uci.edu/FullTimeMBA/Conte ... Profile/42

Stats for UCI are above. I think UCLA and USC are going to be very tough to get into. I would consider applying to Pepperdine or maybe a Cal State.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the comments, sorry that it's posted in the wrong forums (I also updated some info on the first post).

My goal? I am really into airline/aviation industries because I love to travel around, I think I might want to have a try out there. If not, I may be into finance or consulting... I am unsure if this will change but anything could happen in the future.

For the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) scores, I read from many different college websites, they state that they do look at the scores, but I really wonder how much does this score really mattered? Even if one gets a 5.0, it's only 55%, which is still quite low in the range... does that make my chance go even lower? :(

I know I did get the last question on the Quantitative section wrong cause I ran out of time (I guessed, and I re-think of the question during break time, where I found out I picked the wrong answer), does it impact the total score? Since it shows 51. I kind of wondered how the scoring really worked... the first time I improved 3 in Verbal and 7 in Quantitative, and that yields 80 points... the second time I improved 4 in Verbal and 4 in Quantitative, and that still yields 80 points... :?:

Well, maybe I am not part of the norm that GMAC considers, as the score increased by the same amount each time I take (am pretty sure it won't make the 720 though!). The two year gap of working may have possessed some changes cause one can say that I prepared the test for 2+ years (well it's kinda impossible)...

For the essays, after I discuss with my friends, they told me to just be honest on it... cause there isn't really much we can write cause we are not excellent writers. I would put some interesting stories I encountered while I am in China though... it's a memory not to be forgotten when you are there during protests. Also, it's also very challenging to work with people in China... in every way you are trying to bargain, or get bargained.

For the schools, I know I am really shooting the moon for UCLA, so it may just be a dream if I do get admitted. I think I will pick UCI over the other 3 colleges if I do get in cause the financial burden is lower when compared to the two private colleges, and the general consensus is better on UCI than UCR.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Today I received a package from University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business MBA recommending me to apply. I wonder if these letters really identified you as a potential candidate, or they just found you through GMAT/GMAC and wanted you to pay their fees and apply? Any help and comments would be great! Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
coolfish1103 wrote:
Today I received a package from University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business MBA recommending me to apply. I wonder if these letters really identified you as a potential candidate, or they just found you through GMAT/GMAC and wanted you to pay their fees and apply? Any help and comments would be great! Thanks.

Notre Dame is a notorious GMAC spammer. I'm sure you're a fabulous candidate, but odds are good that they want you to pay the app fees and apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I know you said you want to stay in Southern California, but maybe you could consider international schools? Particularly if you speak Spanish or French fluently?

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they focus more on the Q score if they don't teach in English. And an MBA from INSEAD or ESADE, etc. would be better than Cal State I believe.

I'm no expert though, but just a suggestion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Hey coolfish, one more suggestion - don't overlook San Diego. USD has a well-respected program. UCSD (to which I applied) also has a rising-star program which isn't on anyone's radar yet as it's too new to be ranked, but a 640 shouldn't preclude you. Just convince them that you are the best quality inspector out there, your inspection team was the best, blah blah. From what I understand, San Diego has a fairly bustling aviation industry presence, and it's still in SoCal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all the suggestions from a while ago... haven't had the chance to log on.
I applied all these schools because they are around the LA area, so I do not have to travel far or out of state. For me, it will be very difficult to supply the funds to study in another country unless I take a bunch in loans.

Now, here are the results, in the order of announces...
UCI - Rejected 3/3
Claremont Drucker - Admitted w/Interview 3/13
UCLA - Rejected 3/26
USC - Rejected 4/2
UCR - Admitted 4/8

Now I have two schools to pick... Claremont Drucker or UC Riverside, could anyone give me suggestions on which school I should go for (cause they were comparable on the list of schools I want to go to)? However, I am in a mix bag right now because I don't know which school I should go for.

Claremont offered my 20% fellowship towards the tuition, which means it's about 10,000/year more expensive than UCR because it's around $1450/unit for Claremont before the discount. Also, Claremont is about 10 minutes from my house while UCR is about 30 minutes (I will not be living around campus). I have attended UCSD before for my undergraduate study, but I heard they are quite different from UCR, so I am unsure...

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot