Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Re: Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending [#permalink]
DE out b/c the , which does not make sense.
AC out b/c of faulty comparison. They have verbs but the comparison is a noun.
B is the last man standing and right answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending [#permalink]
nightwing79 wrote:
Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than it was in any previous election.

(A) a greater proportion than it was

(B) a greater proportion than

(C) a greater proportion than they have been

(D) which is greater than was so

(E) which is greater than it has been

hard one.

learn to accept the strange pattern which could be correct answer.

in many cases on gmat, I can easily find error in other choices and eliminate them. the remaining choice is strange to us but contain no error and we have to choose this choice. here, we can find error in A, C D, and E and choose B.

comparison patterns hard and could be strange to us. be ready for strange pattern in comparison.

the key skill for all SC section is that we have to figure out the intended meaning when we read an incorrect answer. only when we realize the intended meaning, we can find the correct pattern expressing this meaning. so, focus on meaning and try to guess the intended meaning when reading the original choice is key skill. of course, you could not find out the intended meaning when you finish reading the original choice. but after this step, your mind will look for the intended meaning. You will read the next choices with your mind looking for the intended meaning. while looking for the intended meaning, you could realize some easy errors. this is the process of reading answer choices.

after reading choice A, I dont understand the meaning. but I focus on finding out the intended meaning. which compares to which logically. with this question in mind, I continue to read four remaining choice . I realize some clear errors and eliminate the choices with them

now, choice B is remaining.

tivi costs account for more than half the spending in this year, a greater proportion than in previous year.

remember my question which compare to which logically.

we need to know gramatical role of each phrase. "a greater proportion" should refer to "half the spending". so, logically, the comparison is

half the spending is greater this year than in previous year.

honestly, this is noun to noun comparison and we have to make clear the two noun. but choice B is not clear. choice B can be best but is still incorrect. consider

1. the proportion was greater last year than previous year.
2.I was stronger last year than previous year.
3. I am stronger this year than I was last year (tense changes)

the person stronger than I passes the gmat.

noun-to-noun comparison can be in the two pattern above. if we want to use an adverb phrase such as "previous year" or "in previous year", we need a preceding clause with verb as in the case with sentence 1,2 or 3. if there is no clause with verb preceding, we use second noun.

so, choice b could be incorrect. we need a clause preceding to use adverb phrase. but , many comparison patter could be strange. look at the following , from gmatprep.

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the //movies—less than those// killed by bee stings.

(A) movies—less than those

(B) movies—fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

in this problem, choice b is correct. the meaning is " seven persons who have been killed by sharks is smaller than the number of persons who have been killed by bee".

but the sentence can be choice B. but we dont know which entity in the sentence is compared with which entity.
this problem is similar to our problem in that we find the clear errors and eliminate the choices with them. I can not write a sentence like the choice B of 2 problems.

I can not remember the 2 pattern in the two problems. but I can remember that comparison pattern can be strange and I should look for clear errors to eliminate and keep the strange choice
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
C. a greater proportion than they have been: Incorrect.

2. Use of present perfect tense “have been” is incorrect. The complete verb here should be “they have been accounting for”. Notice that “accounting” cannot be made understood because this word does not appear anywhere else in this sentence. Also, previous elections are over. Nothing can be accounting for them in the present.

Hi egmat

Why can't we consider "accounted" instead of "accounting" after "have been" in this case? "have been accounted" is a present perfect tense in passive voice and "accounted" does appear in the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY

Please can you advise how would you tackle this comparison question

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello Team,

I have a query related to 'it' mentioned in option a.
Although I understood from the egmat revert that 'it' may refer to spending or president campaign but my query is.. Can 'it' also refer to proportion..will it not be logical antecedent?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello Team,

Although I understood from the egmat revert that 'it' may refer to spending or president campaign but my query is.. Can 'it' also refer to proportion..will it not be logical antecedent?

"It" can't logically refer to "proportion" because "a greater proportion than proportion was" does not make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending [#permalink]
thangvietnam wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than it was in any previous election.

(A) a greater proportion than it was

(B) a greater proportion than

(C) a greater proportion than they have been

(D) which is greater than was so

(E) which is greater than it has been

hard one.

learn to accept the strange pattern which could be correct answer.

in many cases on gmat, I can easily find error in other choices and eliminate them. the remaining choice is strange to us but contain no error and we have to choose this choice. here, we can find error in A, C D, and E and choose B.

comparison patterns hard and could be strange to us. be ready for strange pattern in comparison.

the key skill for all SC section is that we have to figure out the intended meaning when we read an incorrect answer. only when we realize the intended meaning, we can find the correct pattern expressing this meaning. so, focus on meaning and try to guess the intended meaning when reading the original choice is key skill. of course, you could not find out the intended meaning when you finish reading the original choice. but after this step, your mind will look for the intended meaning. You will read the next choices with your mind looking for the intended meaning. while looking for the intended meaning, you could realize some easy errors. this is the process of reading answer choices.

after reading choice A, I dont understand the meaning. but I focus on finding out the intended meaning. which compares to which logically. with this question in mind, I continue to read four remaining choice . I realize some clear errors and eliminate the choices with them

now, choice B is remaining.

tivi costs account for more than half the spending in this year, a greater proportion than in previous year.

remember my question which compare to which logically.

we need to know gramatical role of each phrase. "a greater proportion" should refer to "half the spending". so, logically, the comparison is

half the spending is greater this year than in previous year.

honestly, this is noun to noun comparison and we have to make clear the two noun. but choice B is not clear. choice B can be best but is still incorrect. consider

1. the proportion was greater last year than previous year.
2.I was stronger last year than previous year.
3. I am stronger this year than I was last year (tense changes)

the person stronger than I passes the gmat.

noun-to-noun comparison can be in the two pattern above. if we want to use an adverb phrase such as "previous year" or "in previous year", we need a preceding clause with verb as in the case with sentence 1,2 or 3. if there is no clause with verb preceding, we use second noun.

so, choice b could be incorrect. we need a clause preceding to use adverb phrase. but , many comparison patter could be strange. look at the following , from gmatprep.

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the //movies—less than those// killed by bee stings.

(A) movies—less than those

(B) movies—fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

in this problem, choice b is correct. the meaning is " seven persons who have been killed by sharks is smaller than the number of persons who have been killed by bee".

but the sentence can be choice B. but we dont know which entity in the sentence is compared with which entity.
this problem is similar to our problem in that we find the clear errors and eliminate the choices with them. I can not write a sentence like the choice B of 2 problems.

I can not remember the 2 pattern in the two problems. but I can remember that comparison pattern can be strange and I should look for clear errors to eliminate and keep the strange choice

The most frustrating thing for me is I found your comment useless after spending 10 mins understanding what are you saying
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
VKat wrote:
Hello Team,

"It" can't logically refer to "proportion" because "a greater proportion than proportion was" does not make sense.

It and they used in comparisons also refer to the modifiers attached to the noun. So, here if it is referring to half the spending then it will also attach to the modifiers? Is my understanding correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep

Sir can you explain the usage of So in option D
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep

Sir can you explain the usage of So in option D

Hello saby1410,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option D "so" acts as a preposition to form the adverbial phrase "so in any previous election", which modifies the verb "was".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts