It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:35) correct 31% (00:55) wrong based on 171 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi guys, can somebody explain the parallel construction A, B and C, and D ? Isn't it a little bit awkward and wrong ? In which case can we have a list with two "and" ?

Thx !
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7873 [3], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2013, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a test of list parallelism, made tricky by mixing up with pseudo parallels

Th basic theory of list parallelism stipulates that it is important to identify the elements of the series first. Within each series, the last factor is always preceded by the word “and” which marks the end of the series.
If there are more than one series, then the last series by itself has to be again preceded by another “and”.
If there are more than one series in a passage, ensure that each of the series maintains its own parallel structure within its domain.

In the given text, we have two series.
1. One is the ‘defending’ series that includes acting as sentinels and sounding a warning
2. The other is the ‘scouting’ series that includes searching for new food and roosting

These two arms must be separated by an ‘and’; all choices do that and so no issue about it.
But it is the parallelism within each series that is presenting a problem here. As you may see,
Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) Acting as sentinels and to sound --- acting and to sound is not parallel in the first series.
(B) acting as sentinels and sounding – perfect parallelism -- correct choice
(C) to act as sentinels and sound --- The infinitive spoils the parallelism since, the first duty is marked as defending and the other duties must also be in the same ing form rather than in infinitive form
(D) to act as sentinels and to sound --- same as C
(E) To act as a sentinel sounding --- same as C and D

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7873 [3], given: 363

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2269 [2], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Darmody wrote:
Hi guys, can somebody explain the parallel construction A, B and C, and D ? Isn't it a little bit awkward and wrong ? In which case can we have a list with two "and" ?

Thx !

Hi Darmody,

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound

Changes the meaning by changing the list

(B) acting as sentinels and sounding

Correct, maintains parallel structure in all the lists

(C) to act as sentinels and sound

Changes the meaning; sentence now implies that they defend to act as sentinels and sound...

(D) to act as sentinels and to sound

Same as C

(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

Again changes the meaning; moreover "sentinel" should be plural as "residents" is plural.

The correct answer choice (B) presents the list with parallel structures. I have marked the lists by brackets in the correct version of the sentence.

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as (defending the entrance, acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger), and scouting outside the cave (for new food and roosting sites)).

The best way to find out the lists is by the meaning differences between them.

for example

In sports I like ((football, baseball and table tennis), and in music I like (Rock, Jazz and Classical)).

In GMAT whenever you see "and" you should check for the logical lists and make sure the structures being listed are parallel grammatically.

Hope it helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2269 [2], given: 82

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2269 [1], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2013, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Darmody wrote:
Hi thx for that, one last question, in "acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger) ", if I understand what you say, "sentinels" and "sounding a warning at the approach of danger" should be parallel shouldn't they ? But it does not seem to make any sense, as the sentence "acting as sounding a warning at the approach of danger" has no meaning. Did I understand it wrong?

Hi Darmody,

I can understand your concern. The correct answer choice is not a well constructed sentence and looks a little weird. But, it is the least bad among all the answer choices. The other choices are clearly wrong because almost all of them are changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

If you break the sentence; defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and defending the entrance, sounding a warning at approach of danger.

ie. by acting and sounding they are defending the entrance.

Consider an example similar in structure:

John is defending his position, acting as a lawyer and presenting a sound argument that he is not guilty.

John is defending his position in two ways

i) by acting as a lawyer
ii) by presenting a sound argument

One more similar example

By doing his job properly,acting as a role model and creating a conducive environment for the whole team, John has become the most admired manager in the company.

Tip: Concentrate more on errors in sentence correction; it is far more easier to prove that a choice is incorrect than to prove that it is correct. In your practice try to get familiar with the error patterns that sentence correction questions test.

Moreover, SC 1000 is not a very reliable source for practice. First it is quite old and contains short questions like this one, while in these days longer sentences are seen in SC in GMAT, second most of the questions are good but the bad ones could really screw up your concepts. Do it if you have exhausted all the official stuff at your disposal.

Hope it helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2269 [1], given: 82

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 22

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2013, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
We recently created a video solution for this question. For more video solutions, log in to your e-GMAT account and go to OG Verbal Solutions course.

Hi, My doubt here is that what is the parallel list here? Option 1 or Option 2?
Option 1:
1)defending
2)acting and sounding
3)scouting

Option 2:
1)defending
2)acting
3)sounding
4)scouting

Why do we need 'and' between acting & sounding when these are parallel to other 2 items in the list?

Or in other words what's wrong with this sentence -

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels, sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 17:21
Hi thx for that, one last question, in "acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger) ", if I understand what you say, "sentinels" and "sounding a warning at the approach of danger" should be parallel shouldn't they ? But it does not seem to make any sense, as the sentence "acting as sounding a warning at the approach of danger" has no meaning. Did I understand it wrong?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 06:09
The answer will be "B".

It is a simple case of Parallelism and it is only followed in Option B which makes "defending, acting, sounding, scouting and roosting" parallel.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 01:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 01:46
Hi Vercules,
Actually this question is from OG Verbal 2015? and it has confusin explanation:
Quote:
b. Correct. This sentence has sounding, which properly parallels
defending, acting, and scouting

Thank you, for your explanation.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 15

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7873 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 02:53
Top Contributor

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound
(B) acting as sentinels and sounding
(C) to act as sentinels and sound
(D) to act as sentinels and to sound
(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

The residents take on two primary jobs namely
1. Defending the entrance: How do they defend the entrance? (by) acting as sentinels and (by) sounding a warning
The first defense job, therefore, should be represented by two parallel present participles - acting and sounding
and
2. and scouting outside the cave: What do they scout for? for new food and (for) roosting places.
That structure is available only in B.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7873 [0], given: 363

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2017, 02:53

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap