Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
OG Paper 31

did RC,DS,SC,CR in a row

times were 20/22/21/20 (25 mins allowed) - 81 mins for 76 q

RC I got 15/18
DS I got 20/20
SC I got 20/22
CR I got 16/16

Which was a 44V, I looked at the rest of PS and it was a joke, so I would have gotten around a 780 again

I did not remember any answers from a few months ago so I had to redo everything.. good progress. The verbal was pretty hard on that f*cking exam... I did solid, I got a few RC wrong but the RC was brutally hard, plus the passages super long.

GOing to do 2 full exams back to back tomorrow - 3 hours straight. I think I'm tired today from doing some work yesterday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT Paper #37

Saw no repeats except on RC - familiar passages but still had to reread and reanalyze.

2 essays (18 mins & 13 mins)

PS - 16/16
SC - 18/22 (****!)
PS - 16/16
CR - 15/16 (wtf I got one wrong)
DS - 20/20
RC - 17/18

Times were 23, 27, 16, 24, 25, 16 minutes.

I have to review the SC, I still don't know how to do them, they were tough.

I got 51Q & 45V, which was 780. Time was 20 mins under time, and I did everything straight, except for RC prior to which I took a relaxing ****.

Essays are below (sorry about the bad wrapping I'll fix it later):

Essay 1

The following appeared in a magazine article on trends and lifestyles.

“In general, people are not as concerned as they were a decade ago about regulating their intake of

red meat and fatty cheeses. Walk into the Heart’s Delight, a store that started selling organic fruits

and vegetables and wholegrain flours in the 1960’s, and you will also find a wide selection of cheeses

made with high butterfat content. Next door, the owners of the Good Earth Café, an old vegetarian

restaurant, are still making a modest living, but the owners of the new House of Beef across the

street are millionaires.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion, be sure to analyze the line of

reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. You can also discuss what, if anything, would make

the argument more sound and persuasive or would help you to better evaluate its conclusion.

The argument that people are not as concerned about their intake of red meat and fatty cheeses

as they were a decade ago is grosslly flawed. Although one could possibly infer that this is the case,

based on the evidence given in that the owners of the house of beef are millionaires where as the

owners of the Good Earth Cafe are making a modest living, making such a logical jump is flawed.

First let us consider how one can come to such a conclusion. The author of this argument makes

several assumptions, the first being that because a store selling fatty cheeses implies the store did

not do this in the past, and we all can agree that cheese has been around for quite some time. The

second is that just because the store happens to sell fatty cheeses that everybody purchases fatty

cheeses-- which is flawed again. A healthy store for example may have Foui Gras, an extremely

fattening delicacy, on display, but this does not necessarily mean that people buy or are even able to

buy it, as Foui Gras is typically priced for the budgets of aristrocrats.

Now, do we even know what country we are referring to? What if the names of the restaurants have

been translated from French or Polish into English, and we are actually dealing with cafes and stores

in France or Poland? If this were the case, of course a health food store would be struggling to make

ends meet! Take France, long renowned for its national obsession with fine, or rather fatty, dining

and smoking. Poland itself has a long national tradition of eating Kielbasa, which is fatty pork

sausage, and Fatty Cheeses, smoking, and drinking Vodka. The authors arguments are indeed quite weak,

as neither of these two countries have ever been concerned about regulating their intake of red meat

and fatty cheeses, and most likely never will be.

To conjur such a far fetched conclusion based on several irrelevant facts is perposterous.

Perhaps if the author had cited surveys and statistical studies based on consumers intake of red meat

and fatty cheeses then it would have been reasonable to state such a conclusion. But to base the

conclusion of his argument on simple and unrepresentative observations of some delis in a

neighbourhood is weak and baseless. On that note, last week while I was driving I saw a new liquor

store going up beside a healthy fruit juice stand. The fruit juice stand is going out of business, but

the new liquor store is probably being built to meet demand. Following the authors logic, then

obviously more people must be becoming alcoholics!

Essay #2

Directions: In this section, you will need to analyze the issue presented below and explain your views

on it. The question has no “correct” answer. Instead, you should consider various perspectives as you

develop your own position on the issue.
Read the statement and the instructions that follow it, and then make any notes in your test booklet

that will help you plan your response. Begin writing your response on the separate answer document.

Make sure that you use the answer document that goes with this writing task.

“The rise of multinational corporations is leading to global homogeneity*. People everywhere are

beginning to want the same products and services, and regional differences are rapidly disappearing.”

*homogeneity: sameness, similarity

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above. Support your point

of view with reasons and/or examples based on your own experiences, your observations, or your

reading.

The rise of multinational corporations is indeed streamlining various products and services across

borders, so that one can find the same product in one country as one can find in another. Take KFC for

example; in my beloved Poland you can now find Kentucky Fried Chicken Franchises, which was quite the

shock to me when I returned the last time I visited. People do indeed crave cheap and fast food, and

multinational corporations are trying to expand their businesses into various international markets to

meet these demands. However, to introduce the same product in different markets is nearly impossible;

for example, McDonalds does have a base in India, where the cow is religiously revered by the Hindus.

Yet ironically McDonald's claim to fame has been the Big Mac, featuring two delicious and mouth

watering patties of beef. As you can see, McDonalds does not mainly sell beef in India for obvious

reasons, and instead have resorted to modifying the Big Mac to use others types of beef, such as pork

and chicken. In this sense the rise of transnational corporations has not and probably never will

completely lead to homogeneity, as cultural differences would prevent this from ever occuring.

In one sense, more familiar brands and faces are spawning up in the least expected places; African

teenagers wearing the newest and most fashionable Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses, Brazilian businessmen

driving Ferraris in the slums of Rio De Janerio and Afghanis buying Tim Hortons Coffee in the middle

of Kandahar. In this sense as economies of scale spawn and multinational corporations are able to

offer familiar products inexpensively, we will see more KFC's in Poland and more McDonald's in France.
However again as cultural differences are so vast, the homogeneity that this would produce would be

limited.

In Israel, a lot of people eat Kosher food, and various franchises have had to modify their menu

accordingly. In the Muslim world, a lot of people eat Halal, and again, many franchises have had to

modify their menu. And yes, in France, the thought of a McDonalds was so outrageous in a certain town

that rioters smashed it out of comission. So cultural differences do provide problems in a sense. And

again, what might prove popular in one country may not prove popular in another. McDonalds would fare

much better in Japan than in France, because in France the French value fine dining and food of high

quality. But in Japan, McDonalds is considered a delicacy, with the McDonalds Franchises there using

the highest cuts of beef and having squeeky clean restaurants.

Indeed, the rise of multinational corporations is leading to some degree of homogeneity-- this is

evident all around us. But cultural differences, and regional differences, will prevent corporations

from offering the same identical product and service uniformly throughout the world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
StartupAddict I really admire your determination. You are really an inspiration to me. I am sure that you will nail the exam.

I would like to ask you 2 things.

1) Are you a native english speaker? (Your verbal score is awesome).
2) Do you think that there is a limit to the verbal score that a non native english speaker can reach? To be honest, I really admire your "almost always 100% CR accuracy" :)

It is by far my weakest point in GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks after15 :-)

English is my 3rd language, but I speak each language fluently (polish, german, english). I also speak some russian, ukranian and french. And not fluent as with an accent, I mean I can speak all three without an accent.

I'm not sure....... I think it's just practise. The SC is impossible for even native english speakers, the RC would be extremely difficult, and the CR is OK (I still can't believe I got a CR wrong wtf!).

If you want to get better at CR, you just have to practise them a lot. I find the key is learning how to ignore the BS answers, the answers that try to throw in outside knowledge....... if you can learn how to recognize those you can instantly bring it down to two choices, and I mean instantly (within 5 seconds) and from then its just picking the most correct one... which isn`t that hard.

This is how I do CR

1) read the question stem (are we weakening the argument... are we strengthening it.. are we looking for an assumption, etc)

2) read the question SLOWLY and after each sentence think a bit (critically... think about things the author is omitting in the argument, etc)

3) formulate an answer in your head without looking at the answers....... i can usually predict the right answer two thirds of the time

4) look at the answers, eliminate the 3 of 5 BS answers

5) 95% of the time the answer is obvious... sometimes you have to debate between two answers......... but if you do enough OG CR (emphasis on OG CR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everything else is useless) and read the answers you`ll get the hang of it

best of luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow

I redid GMATPrep1, I saw 3 CR repeats, maybe 2 in math.

I got 780

Q: 50 (8 wrong omfg, stupid mistakes)
V: 49 (2 wrong!!!!!!!!!! both impossible SC's, both subjective SC's where I didn't pick the shortest one)

Verbal was insanely hard. I saw questions I've never seen before, including some super freaking hard CR's...

Here's another thing I noticed-- as you do better on Q, you get the IMPOSSIBLE questions on Verbal. So if you rape Quant, prepare to be slaughtered on Verbal right off the bat....

Also another thing I noticed is it takes a while for the gmatprep software to calculate your score. I've done a lot of programming and I know algorithmic complexity pretty well, and for an algorithm to take 3s to execute, given you answered 78q's means its probably a linear approximation algorithm and most likely a complex statistical model..... so im pretty sure your score is calculated in a super complex way (I got 8 f*cking math wrong but still got a 50Q?). Verbal was well.... I got 2 wrong and I only got a 49V? So you have to get them all right to get 51V?

Anyways things are looking up, I'm going to do some more math now... need to get better at circles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you can score so high in verbal and english is your 3d language, what can I say? Simply outstanding job!

Keep on your hard work. I will be following this topic as I have been doing all this time and I am 100% sure you will nail the exam.

You are one of the most determined guys in this forum and I respect this kind of people.

Thank you very much for your answers. They are very helpful to me. When time comes, I hope to be as determined and focused as you are in throughout your journey.

Keep up the good work. Best of luck man.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks after15, start studying now; it's never too early.

Did GMATPrep Review Q"s

DS: 13/15 (sloppy mistakes, didn't read Q's properly)
PS: 15/15
CR: 14/15 (got the analyze the argument question wrong, where they bold face it etc argh)
SC: 15/15

57/60 in about 40 minutes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3424 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi startup..!

i've jotted down some point on prep-materials i'm following and few concerns if u would share ur thoughts on that, it will really b helpful! Below is the link...

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t53976

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT Paper #55

16/18 RC
20/22 SC

rest perfect

all done casually and on time, got some weird SC ones that I disagree with... oh well

final raw score 102/107 (103 was 800)

47V
51Q
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You are doing great job hier!!!

Can you give some advice on what to do further??
I began with Quant (1 month) and took GMATPrep 1, scored 620 (Q50,V25).
Now after another month of Manhattan SC I am heading to prepare CR by using OG11 and OG Verbal books, at the same time will do little math (OG11, DS/PS1000) and SC1000. I also got Kaplan premier book and Princeton review 2007, what do you think are they worth spending time on them?
Another question, what is MUST for preparing GMAT in your view???

Thank you in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATPrep2

51Q, 45V - 770

Got 4 wrong on Math (got first 20 right). Finally a 51Q!

Got 4 wrong on Verbal, 21 (RC), 28,37,39 (all SC). Impossible SC's too...

My verbal score seems low.... 4 wrong and only a 45? I've gotten 47V before with 7-8V wrong wtf.

RC was just ridiculous. THe passage was a short one but made 0 sense. Something about feminism as usual... yadda yadda yadda.

I'm aiming for 51Q / 46V+ for 780/790
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Trying to book the GMAT tonight for tomorrow at 1:15pm... Very spur of the moment.

So if all goes well you'll hear from me around 8-9pm EST :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
****......... **** GMAC doesn't let you book the same day wtf???

the rest of the times are only at 9 am... and I'd have to drive to another city where the commute takes 3 hours during rush hour (for 100km), so i'd have to wake up at 4, leave by 5, make it there around 8, then find parking then right the thing right away lmfao..... there is a 2pm slot next thursday which i might do
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat paper 28

the math was a joke

i got 58/60 (corrected raw) on verbal which was 49V, got 2 SC wrong (hard SC), got all RC right (repeat passages but still had to reread/scan)

anyways 51Q 49V, got 110/112 = 800 (wow) first 800 on paper

im still pissed off i didn't get to write it today
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
Dont worry, my own first kaplan score was 590. I never touched it again. I think I mentioned something about it in my debrief.

Kaplan is a JOKE.

StartupAddict wrote:
Just did Kaplan 3, 38Q, 35V, 610.

LOL, what a joke. I found 3 mistakes in Kaplans math, including one question where they didn't even give you all of the information.... their Verbal was nothing like any OG questions I've seen, I think they're testing for another test lol. Anyways I got 15 wrong on Verbal, I disagree with 11 of their answers.....

Kaplan is completely useless. I'm never touching McGrawHill or Kaplan again. What a waste of time AND money-- Christ!

first of all, i like your idea of this journal.

yah, I agree with you both that Kaplan is a big joke. i am also getting 730+ in gmatprep but in kaplan i got 630 only. what a joke? :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3424 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT TIGER wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Dont worry, my own first kaplan score was 590. I never touched it again. I think I mentioned something about it in my debrief.

Kaplan is a JOKE.

StartupAddict wrote:

LOL, what a joke. I found 3 mistakes in Kaplans math, including one question where they didn't even give you all of the information.... their Verbal was nothing like any OG questions I've seen, I think they're testing for another test lol. Anyways I got 15 wrong on Verbal, I disagree with 11 of their answers.....

Kaplan is completely useless. I'm never touching McGrawHill or Kaplan again. What a waste of time AND money-- Christ!

yah, I agree with you both that Kaplan is a big joke. i am also getting 730+ in gmatprep but in kaplan i got 630 only. what a joke? :?

DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!

Guys who knows better than i do.....last time when i took my GMAT i followed diligently KAPLAN (i heard from someone tht it's the toughest one in the market...blablabla...), consistently scored 660 on an average on their CD - CATs and when took the real thing, i fell flat on my face....now i understand KAPLAN prepares u not for GMAT....mystery resolved!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
singh_amit19 wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Kaplan is a JOKE.

StartupAddict wrote:

DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!...DITTO!

Guys who knows better than i do.....last time when i took my GMAT i followed diligently KAPLAN (i heard from someone tht it's the toughest one in the market...blablabla...), consistently scored 660 on an average on their CD - CATs and when took the real thing, i fell flat on my face....now i understand KAPLAN prepares u not for GMAT....mystery resolved!

Thanks GMAT TIGER. It keeps you motivated... plus you can look back and check how you've progressed (plus others can learn from your experience too).

I agree Kaplan is completely useless. Even Kaplan 800. The only REAL way to do well on the GMAT (750+) is to learn the concepts inside out and follow OG material. The books do have their purpose though; when one is initially starting to study for the GMAT, they are good starting points. But only for a few weeks... once you do the practise tests they have and read their tips (some actually have good tips, for example I remember McGraw Hill had good tips on RC which helped me out a lot and I still use them. One is never pick the extremes when evaluating the tone of a passage, most of the time the author's tone is moderate.... another thing is the passages about minorities (ethnic minorities, women in particular), they are always positive, if you ever have a choice that is negative when dealing with a minority passage it's always wrong). That's one good thing about McGraw Hill.

Kaplan is just useless. Their CR is completely flawed, in fact, when I do their CR I get half wrong. On OG, Paper Tests and GMATPrep, plus PowerPrep, I always get 95%+, usually perfect. In fact, I've become so accustomed to CR that when I read a CR I can instantly tell whether it's OG or Kaplan/McGraw/Barrons/etc because OG eliminates any subjectivity in the answer, where as the rest, Kaplan in particular, do not. A lot of Kaplan's CR's have 2-3 correct answers, but they arbitrarily pick one to be correct without explaining themselves.

The books are right though, they will prepare you for 640-660 (which is only 80th percentile). But if you want 99th+, you have to teach yourself all of the concepts....

Anyways, what it comes down to is you have to learn the concepts inside out, including math and verbal. Then you have to master speed/timing and keep an eye out for all of the tricks... if you can do that you can easily get 770+ (maybe even 800!).
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6