Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 08:46 It is currently 12 May 2024, 08:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30166 [9]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Strategies to improve data sufficiency score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Saumya,

Your last series of posts were from back in April:

has-gmat-changed-the-verbal-and-quant-score-mapping-for-final-score-216278.html#p1669592

Since it's been several months since then, I'd like to know more about how you've been studying.

1) What type of studying have you done?
2) What materials have you used?
3) Have you taken any practice CATs recently (and how did you score on each?)?

The design and logic behind DS question is consistent (much as the rest of the Test is consistent), so you CAN take advantage of those consistencies and train to score at a higher level. If you're still stuck on DS questions though, then you might need to invest in some new materials that will teach you how to 'see' DS prompt in a new way.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Saumya,

Your last series of posts were from back in April:

has-gmat-changed-the-verbal-and-quant-score-mapping-for-final-score-216278.html#p1669592

Since it's been several months since then, I'd like to know more about how you've been studying.

1) What type of studying have you done?
3) Have you taken any practice CATs recently (and how did you score on each?)?

The design and logic behind DS question is consistent (much as the rest of the Test is consistent), so you CAN take advantage of those consistencies and train to score at a higher level. If you're still stuck on DS questions though, then you might need to invest in some new materials that will teach you how to 'see' DS prompt in a new way.

Rich

Hi Rich

I've been off gmat study for almost 2 months now. Had some professional commitments due to which had to take the long break.
I'm back to preparing for the test now. Since i have roughly 1.5 months I'll be doing a lot of tests and revising core concepts.
Will keep posting my updates and seeking help as i go along.

Thanks for checking back, cheers
Saumya
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16675 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

As you have difficulty with DS, we think our course is a perfect choice for you.
When it comes to DS, regardless of your math skills, it is highly difficult to hit 48 or above due to the nature of the exam. You need logic to tackle DS questions, and you can learn the efficient logic with us.

From our course, you will learn Variable approach for DS and IVY approach for PS. With our unique approaches of, you can significantly save time, and will have 10 minutes to spare on exam. For instance, with our approaches, you can solve questions that normally take 4 minutes in 1 minutes and 30 seconds, and 2-minute question in 30 seconds. You can solve DS questions 100% with Variable approach and 30-40% of PS questions with IVY approach. We also would like to recommend studying and mastering DS first as DS is a quick win. Once you fully understand and master DS only, you can surely hit at least 49.

You can go to our website and check if you like our method and try Trial Pack (4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen.

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you. You can see what sort of questions you might encounter on actual GMAT.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html

If you're interested, please come visit our website, www.mathrevolution.com.
Also, please send us an email any time if you have any query at info@mathrevolution.com

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Saumya,

As it's been 2 months since you were in 'study mode', we need a better sense of how your overall GMAT skills may have eroded during that time. As such, I suggest that you take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Beyond your immediate self-assessed need for DS practice, that score result will help to define anything else that you need to work on. Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can talk about how best to proceed with your studies.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Did you try Brent's advice, how much did you score later ? And what was your score before ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi chetan13386,

It's been over 9 months since the original poster last posted in this thread (and over 7 months since she last logged on), so you might not receive the response that you're hoping to receive. That having been said, I'm going to assume that you're currently studying for the GMAT - and that you might be 'stuck' in some way. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) What is your goal score?

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
I know this is a dead thread as the poster is not longer active but still reached here because of a similar DS concern.
Just gave the first GMAT Prep test without IR and AWA.
Started preparing a month back after a hiatus of a year.
Got 700 (Q49 and V35) and some serious doubts:
1. How can I push the DS score up (48)
2. Whether a month of practice is enough for a Q51 or do I need more time (postpone the date)
3. What to do in Verbal (scores were equally spaced around miserable 35 but accuracy in SC was super-pathetic)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Strategies to improve data sufficiency score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gangeyyo,

To start, a 700 is a fantastic practice CAT score - assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then this score implies that you have the capacity to score at a high level (the 90th percentile or higher) on Test Day - so referring to any part of it as "miserable" or "pathetic" makes you sound silly.

At this score level, if you're looking to score a lot higher, then you really have to 'nitpick' your performance to determine WHY you're getting questions wrong. If you're getting questions wrong because you don't understand the content, then that's one thing... but if you're getting questions wrong because of silly mistakes, then that changes what you need to work on.

While a full Mistake Tracker or Error Log would be more detailed, there are some basic questions that you should look to answer. After reviewing each section of this CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Also, since you mentioned that you had studied before, was this the FIRST time you took this CAT (or had you taken it before?)?

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thank you for the prompt response.
I took the GMAT last year and got 680 (Q50 V32). I did not want to apply to schools with this score and hence I am planning to give the exam once again this year. Even last year, my scores in GMAT Prep hovered around 700-720 with verbal being the sole problem. I could get Q50 but had a great difficulty to increase the verbal score. But I came to this post as I wanted to some guidance in DS. I thought if I could improve my DS (in which I scored Q48), I can improve my overall Quant score to Q50-51.
But the black cloud of Verbal still covers the sky. I am clueless how to improve the verbal score and your guidance regarding the same is highly envisaged.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gangeyyo,

If your goal is to significantly improve over your prior 680/Q50, then you have to focus your efforts on improving your Verbal skills and score; at this level, performing better at DS wouldn't impact your score that match.

1) How long has it been since you restarted your studies?
2) What study materials have you used (recently and for your prior attempt at the GMAT)?
3) What is your goal score?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Finance
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Brent (GMATPrepNow),

GMATPrepNow wrote:

The content in the link provided is amazing. Kudos.

Regards,
Louis
GMAT Club Bot