Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: struggling with post-mba goals essay [#permalink]
I don't know how schools weight an applicant's short term goals, but you're heading in the right direction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi,

While framing a response to the goals question, please use the below mentioned framework as reference :

X+Y=Z ; X is what you have currently (work experience, skill sets, knowledge base, connections), Z is your goals/professional aspirations and Y is the bridge
Y needs to be a combination of multiple factors – education qualification/pedigree (knowledge about marketing/finance etc.) + personal attributes ( team building, time management) + interaction with people from diverse background (alumni base/network). All of this can be gained from a professional MBA.
Z should further be divided into SHORT term and LONG team. Logical progression is Who you are today + MBA = Short term Goal ; Achieving short term goal will lead you to LONG term goal. Ex. I want to become a Management consultant in the next 3-5 years working on multiple clients across multiple domains and multiple stages
Leveraging the exposure to multiple sectors will help me identify suitable opportunities where I can fill the gap with my potential venture , which will be my LONG TERM goal

Once you figure the X,Z and Ys – next step is to decide what is the best place to get the Y from – This is when you answer the WHY "Specific School" angle of the essay . In order to demonstrate that you can talk about specific courses, clubs, alumni, professors, career support, values/principles, competitions, geographic location etc. of the school. Ex. If you want to be a hedge fund manager, NYU Stern is the best place because its courses and study module is tailor made for Finance, its located in NY (hub of commerce) and its alumni is present across all financial companies

Please use the above formula to place your thoughts and I am sure you will find the right direction.

Hope this helps

Please reach out to me at +91-9701215544 in case of any further questions.

Thanks
AB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V50
Send PM
Be realistic about your goals and define them clearly. Don’t just say you want to work in investment banking or become a management consultant. State the functions and areas that interest you most, and what aspects of a particular role or job appeal to you. Note: avoid using buzzwords and industry jargon to make your essay sound impressive. Make simple yet assertive statements that suggest your intentions and passion clearly.

One golden rule that I tell all candidates. Do a litmus test for each line in your essay. If it can be copy pasted by another candidate, then it lacks originality and is too generic. Write something that no-one can copy in their essay and speaks uniquely about you!
GMAT Club Bot