Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Student Loan Question [#permalink]
Omne wrote:
Anyone else thinking about getting a second job?

Yup, it's on my list now. Might as well try and give myself the biggest nest egg possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Omne wrote:

Yup, it's on my list now. Might as well try and give myself the biggest nest egg possible.

You guys are thinking of doing this during school? or before school starts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Omne wrote:

It's really difficult for some of us to finance our education. However, you guys worked so hard in the past few months to study for GMAT, prepare app packages and now you guys are headed to some of the best MBA programs in the world....

FT MBA Programs probably require us to invest significant amount of time and effort - including studies, networking, interviewing etc... (I personally don't plan to work in any capacity in the next 2 years)

Your grades might suffer if you decide to get a job while enrolled in a FT program.

Are there any PT jobs that's ideal for FT bschool students like us? Please share if you guys have some kinda idea :-D
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I mean between now and June. I could probably be a waiter 2 or 3 nights a week and pick up an extra $3,000 between now and then. It would certainly help that is for sure.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I mean between now and June. I could probably be a waiter 2 or 3 nights a week and pick up an extra $3,000 between now and then. It would certainly help that is for sure.

Just curious,why don't u put that effort on making money in the stock market?
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Looks like I will be continuing my internet business. I really wanted to stop it when I hit school but it's only an hour a day so wtf I'll keep it going.
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Yeah, sorry, I should have specified and said a second job between now and leaving for school, to pay down debt/get a cushion to survive at least until the internship. I don't know about anyone else but my current job doesn't pay much at all. Good experience, good leadership and teamwork, not much money. I don't exactly have $50k or so to help cover things while at school
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
good stuff jb, thanks for the detail.

You are ALMOST correct in that all private student loans only allow up to the published cost of attendance (less financial aid). Maybe this has change (haven't checked since summer), but the CitiAssist Graduate Loan allows you to borrow up to $150,000 total, without regard to cost of attendance. The rest follow what you posted.

Of course, if this changed, I apologize for misleading you guys... :(
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
good stuff jb, thanks for the detail.

You are ALMOST correct in that all private student loans only allow up to the published cost of attendance (less financial aid). Maybe this has change (haven't checked since summer), but the CitiAssist Graduate Loan allows you to borrow up to $150,000 total, without regard to cost of attendance. The rest follow what you posted.

Of course, if this changed, I apologize for misleading you guys... :(

It has changed, Congress passed the Higher Education Opportunity Act on July 31st. It limits all financial aid to be capped at the total cost of attendance. While the CitiAssist loan may be a $150,000 cap, it is also capped at the total cost of attendance or whichever is less.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
It has changed, Congress passed the Higher Education Opportunity Act on July 31st. It limits all financial aid to be capped at the total cost of attendance. While the CitiAssist loan may be a $150,000 cap, it is also capped at the total cost of attendance or whichever is less.

Ahh ok. Why would Congress pass something that stupid and call it "opportunity". Sigh. :(

I wonder why CitiAssist still kept it at $150K on a sheet they passed out in September 2008. Weird.
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
jb32 wrote:

Ahh ok. Why would Congress pass something that stupid and call it "opportunity". Sigh. :(

I wonder why CitiAssist still kept it at $150K on a sheet they passed out in September 2008. Weird.

To limit the debt of a recent graduate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Has anyone started looking at private loans yet? HBS is saying they will have more info on June 1st, however I'd like to begin looking on my own now. I may use Graduate PLUS for my additional expenses above the Stafford, however I want to see what I can get as far as Private Loans. Any links or advice would be great!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Consulting, General Management
Schools:Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Sloan
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Hey guys,

I have a few more questions. These may be school-specific, but I thought I'd just throw them out there in case anyone has any experience.

1) I've received a preliminary financial aid package from my top choice school. If I take out the full $20,500 amount allowed to me for the Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and take out private loans from friends (non-family and non-relative) to supplement the rest of my Cost of Attendance instead of the Grad Plus or private loans, will this affect any scholarships or grants I have received?

2) In addition, will taking out private loans from friends negatively affect my eligibility for Stafford loans in any way for either year?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
weezy25 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a few more questions. These may be school-specific, but I thought I'd just throw them out there in case anyone has any experience.

1) I've received a preliminary financial aid package from my top choice school. If I take out the full $20,500 amount allowed to me for the Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and take out private loans from friends (non-family and non-relative) to supplement the rest of my Cost of Attendance instead of the Grad Plus or private loans, will this affect any scholarships or grants I have received?

2) In addition, will taking out private loans from friends negatively affect my eligibility for Stafford loans in any way for either year?

Thanks!

why would anyone besides you need to know that you borrowed money from a friend or family? i think you should just keep that to yourself.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
weezy25 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I think that private loans would be viewed similarly as any other portion of the cost you pay thru savings (I'm assuming your friends will be disbursing the loan to you and not directly to the school) So it shouldn't affect scholarships or grants, or eligibility for gov't sponsored loans. One factor to consider though is that you'll need to file a new FAFSA and possibly your school's fin. aid application next spring, so any money you've received from your friends that's sitting in your bank accounts at that point would have to be reported on those as part of your assets, and that could affect need-based aid you're offered for next year, although it would not affect Stafford loan eligibility.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
weezy25 wrote:

Thanks!

Just to add to the confusion here, my understanding is that anyone (regardless of income) can get up to $20,500 per year in Stafford loans. Income comes into play to determine whether the loan is subsidized (ie. interest doesn't accrue while you're in school). I want to say the interest rate is around 6.5% on those. Grad-PLUS, which can be taken out on top of Stafford and up to the school's determined budget, is 8.5% or something horrible like that.

You can find more info here -
https://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... tloans.jsp
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Pretty much everyone can qualify for as much as you want. If you research the options for different banks, some offer rate reductions of upto 0.75% (I believe citi does that) if you do direct payments from an account at their bank.

If you have family who is going to pay for it, dont tell the school that until you get your aid package. If they ask what your parents will be paying say 0. Cross the bridge about what happens if you get a personal loan after you figure out whether you might be getting free money. In my opinion maxing out loans while in school to get free money and then immediately paying it off with that with whatever family will give you would be the best way to go if thats what it comes down to.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4