Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 10:32 It is currently 11 May 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q36  V19
GPA: 78 percent
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3471 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 423 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
 Q36  V19
Send PM
Re: Study Plan- Need Advise Urgently [#permalink]
Thanks Piya for the advise . By: For first 15 days, brush up all ur basics, do u mean I should be doing all basics or quant basics?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have just begun studying but I definitely recommend doing a foundations book- I know MGMAT has one for math. I am not sure where you can get a verbal one. What materials do you have?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, when are you planning to take the next GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 423 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
PositiveSoul wrote:
Thanks Piya for the advise . By: For first 15 days, brush up all ur basics, do u mean I should be doing all basics or quant basics?

I meant that you should spend first 15 days brushing up highschool maths (Number theory, time-distance problems, work problems, simultaneous equations etc.) and basic rules of english grammar (components of sentence, active/passive voices, tenses, idioms etc).
Manager
Manager
 Q36  V19
Send PM
lilli wrote:
I have just begun studying but I definitely recommend doing a foundations book- I know MGMAT has one for math. I am not sure where you can get a verbal one. What materials do you have?

Thanks lilli for your advise. I am planning to apply in R2 so will be taking test mid of Nov this year.
Manager
Manager
 Q36  V19
Send PM
Thanks a ton whiplash2411 for your advise.Please find my response/queries inline

whiplash2411 wrote:

36 and 19 are not your average scores and might indicate a fundamental weakness in your preparation and knowledge. But it's not impossible to bring your score up.

PS :I got 36 and 19 during my first GMAT attempt. Improving from 36Q-> 49Q and 19V->40V will involve a combination of knowing and applying concepts and using correct strategies for different sections and sub-sections. I need GC members help here to devise a strategy for the improvement.

1. Get the MGMAT or Veritas Prep Math Fundamentals book. I've heard good things about both the books and I am sure it'll help bring you up-to-date on the basic concepts.

PS: I got MGMAT books .

2. Then, if you can, enroll in a Knewton class or buy either the MGMAT Bundle or the Veritas books. These are comprehensive resources that will definitely aid you in your preparation. Choose between them - they're both good.

3. Get the Powerscore CR Bible. Definitely get MGMAT SC.

PS: I got both the books.

From here on, devise a strategy that would basically involve a familiarization phase and a practice phase. First gain proper understanding of concepts.

PS: Can you please advise which would be correct approach :

Approach 1: Learn concepts of all the subsections SC, CR, RC , PS, DS and just do MGMAT exercises. After completing this, do questions from different question banks like OG, OG Verbal and Quant and GmatClub topic wise questions.

Or

Approach 2:Learn one concept do all the questions for example in case of Number properties complete first topic; Prime numbers and divisibility and do all the questions for GMAT Club forum. In this way complete quant and then follow same approach for verbal.

Or

Approach 3: Complete each MGMAT book and after completion of each book do questions from forum. That means in case of quant complete all 5 books and do the topic wise questions from forum. After completing quant section move to verbal and follow same approach

Approach 4: Start Quant and Verbal lets say SC in parallel and do questions from forum.

Please advise in case you thing any other approach is better.

Then finally take practice exams and see where you stand. If you're consistently scoring >700 in your practice tests (esp. GMAT Prep), then you're in good shape. If not, go back and re-do your problem areas.

PS: Sure will do that and will share my experience :)

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3471 [0]
Send PM
The way I structured my study plan is by dividing it into four blocks.
1. Strategy. This involves internalizing the concepts. I've not done this for Quant yet because I have a 49 score on Q from GMAT prep before studying. For verbal I read and listen then take notes by hand. Then I typed the notes without looking at the handwritten ones and cross checked. This way I remember everything.
2. Familiarity. Practice questions from Veritas or MGMAT without timing. Use error logs. This will help track weakness by concepts. Go back and revise those areas. It doesn't matter for Quant if you do all concepts first or not. But for verbal I'd say go question by question.
3. Practice. Use the OG for timed practice after you're sure about bridging weaknesses identified through error logs. Keep track of timing and improve on that
4. Take practice tests and repeat whichever portion is necessary.

This is my study plan but maybe it'll give you an idea. Hope it does! Let me know if you want to know anything else :)

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Send PM
No problem. You can check out my GMAT study plan thread if you want more inputs :) It's in my signature!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
Hi Positivesoul,
i will also advice you to read few success stories of people scoring above 700..They have written some nice debriefs and their study plans too like how they prepared for exam and what was their strategy..
thanx
SVP
SVP
Send PM
PositiveSoul: You might consider looking into the GMAT Club Grammar e-Book Previews posted online to get on target with the grammar level. :)
Manager
Manager
 Q36  V19
Send PM
Thanks Sandeep , Whip , surely I will do that :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i would definitely start fresh since your scores seems to be a bit low on both categories. I would go over the mgmat books, doing every practice problem and make sure you tag those that you got wrong for back review.
Manager
Manager
 Q36  V19
Send PM
Thanks shaselai for your advise.

Now a days I am concentrating on my strategies, considering I will be devoting 11.5 hrs to office(including traveling), do you recommend any specific study plan or study plan

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
is ok ?

Thanks in advance.

The reason I am asking this question is , I am planning to apply in R2

@Whip, you have been very helpful so far.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
PositiveSoul wrote:

Now a days I am concentrating on my strategies, considering I will be devoting 11.5 hrs to office(including traveling), do you recommend any specific study plan or study plan

is ok ?

Thanks in advance.

ok. since you need an overhaul and you have taken the gmat already you could skip some formalities on the novice page but I would suggest following it for maximum effect. Also, since you are applying in R2 i guess you have maybe 2+ months squeezing in 3 months max so you could tweak the plan around to fit your needs. good luck!
Manager
Manager
 Q36  V19
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
PositiveSoul wrote:

is ok ?

Thanks in advance.

ok. since you need an overhaul and you have taken the gmat already you could skip some formalities on the novice page but I would suggest following it for maximum effect. Also, since you are applying in R2 i guess you have maybe 2+ months squeezing in 3 months max so you could tweak the plan around to fit your needs. good luck!

Thanks shaselai for your assistance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I would spend some time first working on the basics. Immediately go out and review your grammar basics. Then start practicing SCR then move on to reading. One week may not be enough to get where you need to be.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It really useful for me, thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. :idea:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2