Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
black is typically a no no. Even I know that. Wear a dark blue or charcoal. Pin stripes are a nice touch, go subtle...I tend to view the drastic pinstripes as powersuit/banker looking. You can get your personality across with the shirt/tie.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Might be an East Coast/Midwest thing. I'm just saying people I saw here at Berkeley/UCLA in some I banking/consulting meeting, or going to interviews were wearing black. At work, a formal event or presentation to executives is usually black suits too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Might be an East Coast/Midwest thing. I'm just saying people I saw here at Berkeley/UCLA in some I banking/consulting meeting, or going to interviews were wearing black. At work, a formal event or presentation to executives is usually black suits too.

When we toured the career services/interview room area at Ross the two guys who were waiting to interview for internships were wearing black.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know nothing about formal fashion I am going by what I was told by a much reliable source. The loud pinstripe thing was mine. My future sister in-law is a fashion designer and during a party I was talking to her friend who works in mens fashion and he said black suits are for funerals not for work or interviews. He said go navy if you want super dark.

One interesting thing I did hear was that a tux is something that might be worth looking into buying for school. Several students said that they have gone to many formal events that required black-tie attire. I never would have pictured that but for some industries it may be worth a thought.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
oh boy... lots of money going out the door if I get into b-school... :(

Sometimes fashion designers are not the people you always want to listen to, since they're promoting a new trend that generally only the most fashion conscious (i.e. people with lots of $$$ :P ) follow. I generally follow what most people wear in the situation. If it's black suits, then black suit it is. If it's navy, then I will have to go buy a navy suit. I mean, men's fashion folks are pretty much telling us that shaving against the grain, not wearing name brand moisturizers, and not wearing designer jeans are a fashion faux paux... :roll:

btw, it's not the easiest to tell, but other than 1-2 gray/navy suits, the others look black (or is very dark blue/gray) to me...

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/zone/clubs ... icers.html

Originally posted by kryzak on 17 Dec 2007, 14:38.
Last edited by kryzak on 17 Dec 2007, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
casbroker wrote:
lumone wrote:
What is wrong with a black suit? Wear it with a colour tie and you will not look as if you were going to a funeral.

Second thing: what do you guys mean with a tailored suit? Do you actually go to a tailor who takes your measurements and then builds the suit or do you buy a suit at a normal store and have it arranged by a tailor?

And finally, what's wrong with going to a store and get a suit that is your size? They usually have a wide range of sizes and I find it easy to get one that fits.

A black suit is generally reserved for evening functions (or funerals). I don't know who made the rules (or if they even exist) but black suits aren't considered business attire. Now, a black suit with a pinstripe is perfectly acceptable.

Damned, my only suit is black (from Marks and Spencer and I love it). I had never heard of this and don't think that this "rule" exists here in Europe.

casbroker wrote:
When I make reference to tailor, I'm not talking bespoke or made to measure. I simply mean, buy a suit that fits relatively well from the store and then go to a tailor to alter the suit so that it flatters your body. Bring in the back, shorten/lengthen the sleeves, etc. Everyone is unique and off the rack suits are designed to come somewhat close to your size but will never fit perfectly without some adjustments.

Ok, I did not know that it was possible to have it readjusted (anything else that the sleeves at least). Made to measure is probably very expensive.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
Ok, I did not know that it was possible to have it readjusted (anything else that the sleeves at least). Made to measure is probably very expensive.

unless you get it done in Hong Kong... $100-200 USD for a tailored suit... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
lumone wrote:

unless you get it done in Hong Kong... $100-200 USD for a tailored suit... :)

Well, I'd go to a reputable tailor in that case. There is often a reason why things are cheap (quality of fabric for instance, something that you may no see when you buy the suit and that would make the suit look rubbish after a few washes).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
Well, I'd go to a reputable tailor in that case. There is often a reason why things are cheap (quality of fabric for instance, something that you may no see when you buy the suit and that would make the suit look rubbish after a few washes).

Then you don't know about Asian tailors. :) The quality is first rate, it's just the labor is cheaper, so you save on what makes the suit expensive here in the States or in Europe.

In Asia, you can get a lot of things tailor made with high quality material for cheap. If you don't trust the fabric they have, you can also bring your own in.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
All the Armani, Hugo, Versace, Valentino fabrics are made in India and Hong Kong... so the quality is the same whether u pay 2000 bucks or 200 bucks..

All my suits are black with pin stripe.... I hate gray suits.. coz all Japanese salary men wear them.. reminds me of school uniforms..

Navy blue is cool.. and reminds me of pilots...

What I really want is a white suit with pin stripes... now thats pimpin...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
All the Armani, Hugo, Versace, Valentino fabrics are made in India and Hong Kong... so the quality is the same whether u pay 2000 bucks or 200 bucks..

All my suits are black with pin stripe.... I hate gray suits.. coz all Japanese salary men wear them.. reminds me of school uniforms..

Navy blue is cool.. and reminds me of pilots...

What I really want is a white suit with pin stripes... now thats pimpin...

A lot of fabrics are still made in Italy but even the ones made in asia there is still a difference. There is no way a 200 dollar suit is using super 180 or any real high quality fabric. Also they aren't going to have the same build inside, big difference between canvas and gluing stuff together.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
River,
You will be surprised to find really super high quality fabrics used in 200 dollar suits in Asia... as kryzak said.. its all due to labor costs... I will give you an example..
I bought an off the shelf sports jacket.. it was a local Thai company at a reputed department store in Bangkok...something equivalent of Neiman Marcus/Nordstorm for about 100 bucks....

I returned to LA.. fast forward a few months.. I went out for some window shopping on Rodeo Drive and pray what do I see.. the same coat hanging on a Versace mannequin...the coat had a tag much much higher than what I paid...

Clothes are unbeliavebly cheap in South East Asia...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, I think the common misconception (or marketing brain-washing) in the Western World is that "if the item is cheap, it couldn't *possibly* use high quality materials or have high quality labor."

I'm not trying to knock anyone here, but as Avi and I already said, most of the stuff that we wear from the "name brands" are made in China, India, some SE Asian country, or Lesotho anyways. Also, for those who argue the fabrics are better if they come from Italy, well, these days even some of those fabrics are made in these SE Asian/African countries. It's business. It's all about lowering cost and maximizing profit.

Case in point, I bought a nice cashmere sweater from a nice store for a nice sum of money. In the end, it's made in China. After searching Wikipedia, I find out that Cashmere yarn/wool (from the Kashmir goats) can only be found in the Gobi Desert in Mongolia and China anyways. So that nice store probably made a hefty profit from my purchase.

Another example, the Alpaca stuff I found in Peru were a million times better in quality than those found at Nordstrom or other expensive stores and expensive brands (you can feel and see the quality difference). They cost 1/2 or 1/3 of those in the US (and are better quality). The irony is, those expensive brands were probably made in Peru anyways (or Chile/Bolivia).

So yes, there may still be some fabrics that are hand made in some part of Europe/Americas that have excellent quality, but the truth of the matter is, most things these days are made at places that have cheap labor, and for this moment, SE Asia/China/India = cheap labor.

I plan on going to Hong Kong next spring (if I get into any schools) and custom tailoring 3-4 nice suits for myself for $200 each, it's worth the plane ticket there and back (of course I'm also traveling in Asia then).

I'll be taking orders... :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any online store to buy nice winter wear

I checked LL Bean/Eddie Bauer/Lands End -

but they all sell the same stuff made out of china
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Any online store to buy nice winter wear

I checked LL Bean/Eddie Bauer/Lands End -

but they all sell the same stuff made out of china

Do you want a winter dress coat or a pea coat or ski jacket? What you are looking for really matters.

Also its all gonna be made in china unless you want to drop a chunk of change and get something really pricey.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Dressing up [#permalink]
Here is pretty much what I have been following over the years:

Suits
A navy blue suit is best. Other suits may be acceptable, such as cadet blue or medium gray in a solid or pinstripe. Two-piece suits are most popular in the business world.

Dress Shirts
The most effective shirts are white or solid colors (blue). A simple striped shirt also is acceptable. All shirts should be long-sleeved.

Ties
A solid tie is a good buy. A tie with a small design is also very versatile and conservative paisleys are suitable business ties. Coordinate the color of the tie with your shirt and suit. Avoid bow ties.

Socks and Shoes
Wear navy, black, or charcoal gray over-the-calf length socks. Never wear short socks. Match the color of your sock with the color of your pants. Wear black oxford or wingtip shoes.

There should always be contrast between your shirt and tie. Also, the level of darkness should generally increase as you go pants - socks - shoes.

I am not a big fan of wearing black suits in a business environment but I work at a Big4 accounting firm and the partner who is in charge of the Northeast area for my function once told me that black suits are fine. As long as you are not wearing a pink tie ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the detailed info raptr!

What I'm concluding is, we are a bit too worried about things that have no "real" answers. There are general guidelines, but to say definitively that black suits are NOT good for interviews or ties have to be a certain color (I agree with the pink = not too good part :P) just holds no weight.

I say, present yourself in a good light and in a professional manner (wear shirt/tie/slacks/shoes, or suit, however you like), don't wear anything *too* flashy (pink ties, bow ties, white pinstripe suits - yes, that's for you Avi :wink: ), then you're fine. Everything else is just personal preference.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10