Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [113]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [8]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: Swimming my way to a 770 (Q51, V43) [#permalink]
Kudos
nitin2582 wrote:
Lessons from swimming (May 2014)
I am super competitive and good in sports. I have been able to do well in badminton, squash, racquet ball, cricket, soccer, and can run up to 10 miles. One thing that I was never able to do was to swim 20 rounds (40 lengths) in a pool. I would get tired after 2 laps. So in early, while I was in the GYM, I decided to swim 10 laps. I realized that I had to do something different to be able to achieve my goal. One thing that I learned from running is that to run long distances it is vital to maintain your heart rate. Secondly, it is also important to maintain your technique to prevent your muscles from tiring too soon. Since I wanted to do 10 rounds and heart rate was key, I decided to take a 5 second break after every length, take a gulp of water and then go back. I bought an addition bottle of water so that I had a bottle at each end. I did the first three rounds just fine, but the fourth round was a challenge. I decided to not give up and somehow completed the fourth round, and then the fifth. To my surprise, the 6th round got easier. In the seventh, I did not feel like drinking water, yet I did not deviate from the script. The 8th and 9th round were a piece of cake. I felt a bit tired during the 10th but I was able to push myself to complete 11 rounds (remember my goal was just 10).
This success taught me a three lessons, which I believe helped me ace the GMAT:

1. Acknowledge your weakness: For me, the biggest break was the realization that I need to control my heart rate. Trust me, I had to swallow my ego when I decided to take breaks but my ultimate goal was to complete 10 rounds no matter what. Half the battle was won as soon as I realized what I needed to do.
2. Have a plan to address your weakness: Definition on insanity – Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result (Shark Tank). I realized that to complete 10 rounds, I need to stay hydrated to keep my heart rate from going up. Addressing this issue by keeping those water bottles at the end of each lap was really important.
3. Be stubborn: Even when you do #1 and #2, things will not be easy. You will need to stay stubborn. Had I not been stubborn, I would have given up by the fourth round (which would still have been 33% better than my previous best). However, when you are stubborn, your body adapts to the conditions and what seemed difficult once eventually becomes easy.

Time to swim with sharks from Harvard and Wharton. Brilliant debrief, love your analogy. I am an e-gmat student myself and struggling with application of their concepts. High time i start taking it seriously. Any tips besides solving the 40 questions with their method. To adapt yourself. I am subconsciously pulled towards looking at the choices, looking for splits, etc. Trying to break down structure but I guess grammar is not my strong pursuit. Let me know if you did something to imbibe the process.

Wish you all the best with your applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 423
Schools: Simon '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
hi, nitin2582: I have a question regarding the math book you used. Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. Had you used any other math books or this was the only one you used. If you could please elaborate a little more about the pros and cons of this book, as well as other books you have had knowledge of, if any.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Chiming in so you get a timely response. Here is a link to the what if analysis. I hope this helps.

gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

-Rajat
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Wow!!! Superb is the word here!!

All the best for your Apps. Keep us updated about your application for Havard & Wharton :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hi Nithin,
Congrats!
I am an e-gmat student as well -- can you explain what resources you used to help you follow their SC method. (Split sentence into clauses) I find that I either take too much time or do not know where a new clause start and end.

What videos on their site is useful ? IF you used anything else outside please let me know. Also are you able to split the sentence into clauses without taking notes? How long are you taking on the SC questions. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Congratulations on your feet !!!

I have my exam on 28th Aug, exam for which i am preparing for last 1 year .

This is the time to go full throttle, your debrief will surely help me as i learn to hold nerves !!

Thanks
ST
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
nitin2582 wrote:
@farhan @amanthapar
Thank you for your wishes. How many questions have you solved applying the method. Initially, when I tried to apply the method, I did take longer. I always sat down with a piece of paper and I remember writing down a couple of things on a paper. One think I realized was that no matter what I do, I would not reach Shraddha or Payal’s precision. However, while applying the method my accuracy did go up. I realized that even when I was unable to split the sentence precisely, I was still able to gauge the subject and verb accurately, identify lists in sentence –especially helpful when one list was embedded in the other, identify and reason modifier errors. The more I did it, the more I realized that splitting the sentence is a means to getting to the meaning and once I got to the meaning these errors started popping out. So while my sentence structure was not perfect, my accuracy to get to meaning was quite high.

I really liked SC1 and SC2 sessions, and also the initial sentence structure files. Here are a couple of things that helped me tremendously:

1. While solving the application files I would compare my meaning and the meaning in the solution. If there was a discrepancy, I would reason out the same. Most of the times, I would get the meaning right. Thats all the sentence structure I needed.
2. Once I got the meaning right, I would make sure that I am able to detect two error in the original answer choice. I know that egmat detects a number of errors but for 95% of the questions, detecting 2 errors was enough for me to get to the correct answer. My inability to detect an error despite getting the meaning correct exposed the conceptual gaps in my understanding.

I also did the same on all OG questions. The OG Verbal and OG 13 solutions provided are super helpful for this purpose.
Once again, my goal was get questions right and not to become a Shraddha, Payal, or Rajat. For me, solving the question correctly was important and for that I discovered that getting to meaning was key.

Let me know if this helps you.

Thanks Nithin. This helps, actually your first post has motivated me enough to try on getting rid of that block and now I have decided to solve 140 questions of OG13 using the e-gmat method in next couple of weeks.

I will take in your suggestion of identifying 2 errors, I think one more block is while looking at e-gmat answers is I try to replicate their methodology exactly and face issues as I am not an expert. But as you rightly said we have to build it slowly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 10-15-2012
Send PM
:)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Nitin,

Congratulations on your fantastic score and your excellent debrief. I am sure that it will help many students do better on the GMAT (I already see that a few have benefited immensely). I am glad that we could be a part of the same. I absolute agree that one has to commit to the exam to score 740+. I loved how you stayed inquisitive throughout your preparation and kept your focus to define the precise cause(s). This trait would serve you well in future. Good luck!!

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
nitin2582 wrote:
Awesome resources from GMAT Club[/b]
[/u][/size]The work done by this community has been immensely helpful in my cause. Bunnel – your analysis of GMAT Prep patterns is priceless. Using that analysis, I spent extra time on the first 10 questions on quant and that was responsible for helping me score 51 on quant. Similarly, your classification of OG questions (the excel workbook) helped me practice these questions in a much more methodical manner. Lastly, the collection of questions from GMAT Prep is a huge help. I got a hold of these documents and just solved the left over questions in the short 15 minute breaks that I got. Bottom line – I could banking of GMAT Club if I needed any help.
[size=150][u][b]

Hi Nitin,

Fantastic preparation method. How can I get to know about Bunnel's analysis on GMAT Prep Patterns and the classification of OG Questions? Is there something that can be shared here at the forum?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-20-2014
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Hearty congratulations Nitin & an Excellent debrief ! Most motivating till date . I have my gmat in next 20 days and i hope to apply some of ur logistics .
All d best for your applications
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Hi Nitin,

Firstly congratulations on an awesome score and thanks for sharing such an inspiring debrief. As I am too struggling with Verbal, wanted to understand how much time it took for you to complete the e-GMAT course and which course you opted for.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Swimming my way to a 770 (Q51, V43) [#permalink]
nitin2582 wrote:
For the last 17 months, I have prepared for GMAT, yet I needed only two months (working full time, no vacation) to score 770. All I needed to learn was how to swim. Once I learned swimming, beating the GMAT became a piece of cake. So I hope that this debrief helps those who have been studying for a long time as well as those who want to ace the GMAT in 30-60 days.

A brief background about me – I am an Indian working in US for the past decade. Having worked in the IT industry and made enough money, I decided to do something different. Since I am from a over-represented group and want to study at Harvard/Wharton so I realized that I needed to get at least 730-740 for my application to be competitive for the top 10 schools.

How I wasted the first 12 months?

When you are really well settled in your job and personal life, making changes becomes very difficult. For the first 12 months, I studied on and off to the extent that I skipped the GMAT in 2013. It’s not that I did not spend time studying, I did study all the MGMAT books, spent on average 10 hours per week on the GMAT, yet I never got into the GMAT rhythm. What’s worse is that I neither enjoyed nor studied – just a colossal waste of time. This brings me to my first takeaway –

Complete Commitment: Start studying for the GMAT only when you are ready to fully commit to the same.

March 2014 – Owning the goal

As I turned 31 in March, I realized that if I don’t change my career now I would be stuck doing whatever I am doing know. Turning 31 exposed me to the scary “why” I wanted to do an MBA, kind of gave me the motivation. I think this was very important for my success as at that point, I was ready to do whatever was necessary to get to my dream school.

So I started studying with Quant, spending 24 hours per week. I completed most of quant in 3 weeks. After three weeks I took a mock test and scored 640. I was happy to see a 50 on quant but was upset to see a 30 on Verbal. I spent the next 1 month (~100+ hours) on Verbal but I was only able to score 660 with a V32. I was completely disheartened.

Lessons from swimming (May 2014)
I am super competitive and good in sports. I have been able to do well in badminton, squash, racquet ball, cricket, soccer, and can run up to 10 miles. One thing that I was never able to do was to swim 20 rounds (40 lengths) in a pool. I would get tired after 2 laps. So in early, while I was in the GYM, I decided to swim 10 laps. I realized that I had to do something different to be able to achieve my goal. One thing that I learned from running is that to run long distances it is vital to maintain your heart rate. Secondly, it is also important to maintain your technique to prevent your muscles from tiring too soon. Since I wanted to do 10 rounds and heart rate was key, I decided to take a 5 second break after every length, take a gulp of water and then go back. I bought an addition bottle of water so that I had a bottle at each end. I did the first three rounds just fine, but the fourth round was a challenge. I decided to not give up and somehow completed the fourth round, and then the fifth. To my surprise, the 6th round got easier. In the seventh, I did not feel like drinking water, yet I did not deviate from the script. The 8th and 9th round were a piece of cake. I felt a bit tired during the 10th but I was able to push myself to complete 11 rounds (remember my goal was just 10).
This success taught me a three lessons, which I believe helped me ace the GMAT:

1. Acknowledge your weakness: For me, the biggest break was the realization that I need to control my heart rate. Trust me, I had to swallow my ego when I decided to take breaks but my ultimate goal was to complete 10 rounds no matter what. Half the battle was won as soon as I realized what I needed to do.
2. Have a plan to address your weakness: Definition on insanity – Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result (Shark Tank). I realized that to complete 10 rounds, I need to stay hydrated to keep my heart rate from going up. Addressing this issue by keeping those water bottles at the end of each lap was really important.
3. Be stubborn: Even when you do #1 and #2, things will not be easy. You will need to stay stubborn. Had I not been stubborn, I would have given up by the fourth round (which would still have been 33% better than my previous best). However, when you are stubborn, your body adapts to the conditions and what seemed difficult once eventually becomes easy.

Moving from 1011 rounds to 20
Once I completed 11 rounds, I worked on streamlining my efforts to move to 20. I purchased eye wear, low drag costume, and started working on my legs. To sustain 20 rounds, I also worked on perfecting my kick to complement my leg exercises. As I did this, I was able to go from 11 to 20 rounds in just 10 days – a huge morale boost considering I was battling this for the last 8 years.

Improving Verbal to 42

Success in the pool made me all the more confident in my ability to ace the GMAT. In the past, I was tempted to join the e-GMAT but their methods seemed so long that I was concerned that I would not be able to complete the exam. However, their explanations were consistent and methodical. Since the course was quite cheap and money was not an issue, I decided to take a plunge.

To be very frank I struggled initially. Their SC method – breaking a sentence into clauses seemed too much work to be done in 75 seconds. However, there was a certain elegance to their method. They showed that their method worked on every Sentence Correction official question. Once I solved 40 questions using this method, the method became more of less intuitive. The first 40 questions were like the first 4 rounds during swimming, once you get through them life becomes easy. After the first 40 questions, I was able to solve 95% of the questions with very high accuracy in less than 75 second. My Verbal score shot to 37 and I touched 700 for the first time in a mock.

The same story repeated with Critical Reasoning. I struggled with Prethinking, however when I tried to Prethink for 30 questions, I realized the value of the same. With Prethinking, I was able to better understand the logic of the argument. This helped me in two ways – it helped me save time for the kind of questions that I was able to do earlier. Secondly, it helped me increase my hit rate on more difficult questions. Overall, with SC and CR, I was hitting 40-41 on the GMAT mocks. I own my V43 to eGMAT.

Getting to 51 on quant

Once my Verbal was set, I had to focus to go beyond 49 on quant. Here I looked at all the questions that I got wrong. Like for most people, 60% of these questions were DS. However, as I analyzed these questions carefully, I realized that the problem was not DS; i.e. the question type - it was approach. There were certain basics in divisibility, inequalities, Geometry, and Primes that I did not comprehend fully. However, I was very good with numbers, I never faced this issue in PS as I would be able to get to the answer by hook or by crook. However, DS did expose this vulnerability. To fix these basics, I read Jeff Sackmans Total GMAT Math. Once I strengthened the fundamentals, I never scored below 50 in any of my mocks.

Take away: Dig deeper to understand the actual cause. Just don’t take the mistakes you make to be your weakness. Understand what has caused the mistakes and fix that cause. Once you fix the cause, the overall score will improve

Awesome resources from GMAT Club

The work done by this community has been immensely helpful in my cause. Bunnel – your analysis of GMAT Prep patterns is priceless. Using that analysis, I spent extra time on the first 10 questions on quant and that was responsible for helping me score 51 on quant. Similarly, your classification of OG questions (the excel workbook) helped me practice these questions in a much more methodical manner. Lastly, the collection of questions from GMAT Prep is a huge help. I got a hold of these documents and just solved the left over questions in the short 15 minute breaks that I got. Bottom line – I could banking of GMAT Club if I needed any help.

Relisting the take aways

At the risk of being repetitive, I am listing the take away once again.

1. Complete Commitment: Start studying for the GMAT only when you are ready to fully commit to the same.
2. Acknowledge your weakness: For me, the biggest break was the realization that I need to control my heart rate. Trust me, I had to swallow my ego when I decided to take breaks but my ultimate goal was to complete 10 rounds no matter what. Half the battle was won as soon as I realized what I needed to do.
3. Have a plan to address your weakness: Definition on insanity – Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result (Shark Tank). I realized that to complete 10 rounds, I need to stay hydrated to keep my heart rate from going up. Addressing this issue by keeping those water bottles at the end of each lap was really important.
4. Be stubborn: Even when you do #1 and #2, things will not be easy. You will need to stay stubborn. Had I not been stubborn, I would have given up by the fourth round (which would still have been 33% better than my previous best). However, when you are stubborn, your body adapts to the conditions and what seemed difficult once eventually becomes easy.
5. Know the cause: Dig deeper to understand the actual cause. Just don’t take the mistakes you make to be your weakness. Understand what has caused the mistakes and fix that cause. Once you fix the cause, the overall score will improve

This debrief, like my preparation has become longer than I planned. However, I hope that my learning help you with your GMAT Preparation. I had planned to write more but have no stamina left. I will certain be happy to answer any questions that you guys have.
Good luck!!

Hi Nitin,

Heartiest Congratulations!

Quick question: Can you please share the link of the GMATClub collection of questions from GMAT prep?

Thanks a lot and good luck with the apps.

Cheers,
Neha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Thanks for this excellent debrief. My verbal is the weaker one, too. I hope I will get 700+ score next time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congratulations on a great score!

That's an excellent swimming analogy you have used. Guess you won't have any problems writing your application essays :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
Awesome, congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,
I am a first time GMAT taker and have not started any preparations yet.
Could you please advise what are the best online coaching options available.
I am targeting the April 2016 admissions in one among the top 20 business schools in the US and hence aim at scoring accordingly (750 and above)
I need a lot of help with Quant and some help with Verbal.
I would prefer some online coaching with videos and practice questions. maximum practice tests and also interactions with the tutors at least 2 times a week to get responses to my queries.
I am targeting my GMAT by 2015 December end or mid of January 2016.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts