Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [36]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [9]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, such as tremors, are thought to be [#permalink]
Kudos
Skywalker18 AjiteshArun
Can you please explain why in Q1 D is wrong
In 3rd para Researchers discovered that such a gene does in fact exist, and have located the genetic counterpart in mammalian nerve cells, or neurons. Why cannot we infer D from it ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, such as tremors, are thought to be [#permalink]
AjiteshArun also in Q3 why cannot we infer B since the Current treatments are primarily reactionary can't we infer they are ineffective since they cannot be done more properly until further study is done
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
For people confused between answer A and D in Q2

A states that Cell dies due to low levels of dopamine, but the cells we are talking here are the dopamine producing cells. These cells dying leads to low levels of dopamine.
This choice represents the contrast.

I made the mistake here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
teaserbae wrote:
Skywalker18 AjiteshArun
Can you please explain why in Q1 D is wrong
In 3rd para Researchers discovered that such a gene does in fact exist, and have located the genetic counterpart in mammalian nerve cells, or neurons. Why cannot we infer D from it ?

Let me try to explain why in Q1 D is wrong- Since this is stated in only the first statement of para 3, while we need to see the function of whole para. Only option D would just give us the relevance of first statement and not the whole para.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

5. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Explanation

The words primary purpose indicate that this is a Main Idea question that can be answered by considering the general structure of the passage.

(A) This passage does not compare and contrast current treatments. The first paragraph does mention current treatments, but these treatments are grouped together as treatments that all work to replenish dopamine levels in the brain.

(B) CORRECT. The topic sentence of the second paragraph discusses new scientific findings and their implications: recent research provides insight into the inner workings of dopamine-producing neurons, and may lead to a new drug treatment that would proactively protect the neurons from decay.

(C) While the protein alpha-synuclein is discussed in the second paragraph, the role of this protein is not the main focus of the passage.

(D) The new research method does not support an already existing treatment method, but rather a new, potential treatment method.

(E) The scientific evidence discussed in this passage supports a new treatment method; it does not call into question currently existing treatment methods.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I doubt Q2 OA.

it is said in para that "When the smooth transfer of proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus is interrupted, the cell dies."

Now its about the smooth transfer of protean from ER to GA. Not about GA to other parts of cell (at least not mentioned in para).

What interrupt this smooth transfer is toxicity. Hence B should be the answer.

Correct me if I am wrong.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. It can be inferred from the passage that a yeast cell with toxic levels of alpha-synuclein will die because

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

This is a specific question that can be answered by examining the information given in the second paragraph.

(A) According to the second paragraph, “high levels of alpha-synuclein disrupt the flow of proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum…to the Golgi apparatus,” not low levels of dopamine.

(B) While a missing or malfunctioning gene may explain why levels of alpha synuclein have risen to toxic levels in the cell, it does not explain why these high levels cause the cell to die.

(C) The effectiveness or ineffectiveness of drug therapy in yeast cells does not explain why high levels of alpha-synuclein would kill the cell. Furthermore, the fourth paragraph suggests that drug therapy actually has been effective in yeast cells, not to mention in fruitflies, roundworms, and cultures of rat neurons.

(D) CORRECT. The second paragraph states that high levels of alpha-synuclein “disrupt the flow of proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum…to the Golgi apparatus.” According to the passage, the Golgi apparatus is responsible for distributing proteins within the cell. It also states that "when the smooth transfer of proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus is interrupted, the cell dies."

(E) The passage gives no indication that alpha-synuclein is “by nature” a toxic substance. Rather, the passage states that high levels of alpha-synuclein are toxic to the cell.

Answer: D

thakurarun85 wrote:
I doubt Q2 OA.

it is said in para that "When the smooth transfer of proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus is interrupted, the cell dies."

Now its about the smooth transfer of protean from ER to GA. Not about GA to other parts of cell (at least not mentioned in para).

What interrupt this smooth transfer is toxicity. Hence B should be the answer.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 3: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Symptoms of Parkinsons Disease, such as tremors, are thought to be [#permalink]
Kudos
Q1 OE from Manhattanprep
Questions that ask about the function of certain text are Passage Structure questions. To answer this question, it is helpful to examine the general role that each paragraph in the passage plays. The first paragraph introduces the problem: researchers have not known enough about neurons to effectively treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease. The second paragraph introduces new research in yeast cells. The third paragraph makes the connection between this research and neurons affected by Parkinson’s disease. In other words, the third paragraph serves to transition from the technical detail of the yeast cell research in the second paragraph to the implications of this research on Parkinson’s treatment.

(A) While the third paragraph mentions genetic counterparts in yeast cells and mammalian nerve cells, its role is not to highlight similarities between the cells. In fact, no additional similarities are mentioned.

(B) The third paragraph does not get into the details of genetic screening methods.

(C) The third paragraph does not explain the roles of various cellular components. The second paragraph does discuss the roles of the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus, but this discussion is not continued in the third paragraph.

(D) The third paragraph does not actually identify, or name, any genes. Rather, it explains that researchers were able to identify a specific gene in yeast cells and its counterpart in mammalian nerve cells.

(E) CORRECT. The third paragraph relates the genetic testing in yeast cells to the broader issue of Parkinson’s treatment: Researchers discovered that such a gene does in fact exist [in yeast cells], and have located the genetic counterpart in mammalian nerve cells, or neurons. This discovery has led to new hopes that drug therapy could potentially activate this gene, thereby suppressing the toxicity of alpha-synuclein in dopamine-producing neurons.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Symptoms of Parkinsons Disease, such as tremors, are thought to be [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts