It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tense

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:19
He doesn't eat pasta.
He doesn't eats pasta.
Which one is correct and why?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:29
He doesn't eat pasta. (correct)
He doesn't eats pasta. (wrong)

The formula for making a simple present verb negative is do/does + not + [root form of verb].
_________________

+1 Kudos if you find it helpful.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Re: Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 16:27
mandeey wrote:
He doesn't eat pasta. (correct)
He doesn't eats pasta. (wrong)

The formula for making a simple present verb negative is do/does + not + [root form of verb].

I thought he is playing sports
I thought he was playing sports.

I thought he is responsible for it.
I thought he was responsible for it.

I thought he has a lot of interest in sports.
I thought he had a lot of interest in sports.

Which of the above sentences are correct and why?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 18:24
stomar67 wrote:
mandeey wrote:
He doesn't eat pasta. (correct)
He doesn't eats pasta. (wrong)

The formula for making a simple present verb negative is do/does + not + [root form of verb].

I thought he is playing sports
I thought he was playing sports.

I thought he is responsible for it.
I thought he was responsible for it.

I thought he has a lot of interest in sports.
I thought he had a lot of interest in sports.

Which of the above sentences are correct and why?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



I thought he is playing sports. (Wrong)
I thought he was playing sports. (Correct)

I thought he is responsible for it. (Wrong)
I thought he was responsible for it. (Correct)

I thought he has a lot of interest in sports. (Wrong)
I thought he had a lot of interest in sports. (Correct)

Thought is past form, is/has is present form. The wrong sentences makes illogical meanings, You thought something in past and you giving statement about present.

I thought(I thought in past) he is playing sports (Giving statement about present situation).

Correct version: I think he is playing sports.
Correct version: I think he is responsible for it.
Correct version: I think he has a lot of interest in sports.
_________________

+1 Kudos if you find it helpful.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Re: Tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 18:29
mandeey wrote:
stomar67 wrote:
mandeey wrote:
He doesn't eat pasta. (correct)
He doesn't eats pasta. (wrong)

The formula for making a simple present verb negative is do/does + not + [root form of verb].

I thought he is playing sports
I thought he was playing sports.

I thought he is responsible for it.
I thought he was responsible for it.

I thought he has a lot of interest in sports.
I thought he had a lot of interest in sports.

Which of the above sentences are correct and why?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



I thought he is playing sports. (Wrong)
I thought he was playing sports. (Correct)

I thought he is responsible for it. (Wrong)
I thought he was responsible for it. (Correct)

I thought he has a lot of interest in sports. (Wrong)
I thought he had a lot of interest in sports. (Correct)

Thought is past form, is/has is present form. The wrong sentences makes illogical meanings, You thought something in past and you giving statement about present.

I thought(I thought in past) he is playing sports (Giving statement about present situation).

Correct version: I think he is playing sports.
Correct version: I think he is responsible for it.
Correct version: I think he has a lot of interest in sports.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Tense   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 18:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tense

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.