Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [15]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: The Academia Sectrorum Naturae, the first scientific community, was fo [#permalink]
if option C is really the answer then i feel that the intended meaning is very awkward . the implied meaning of C is that The academia secretorum naturae was founded with the intention of having a prerequisite for admission,a meaning that does not make any sense !!. institute can have a prerequisite for admission and so this fact should have been presented with a parallelism .also institutes are opened with much broader intentions and not with such narrow intentions as is described in option C
i don't feel good about this question !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The Academia Sectrorum Naturae, the first scientific community, was fo [#permalink]
aditya8062 wrote:
if option C is really the answer then i feel that the intended meaning is very awkward . the implied meaning of C is that The academia secretorum naturae was founded with the intention of having a prerequisite for admission,a meaning that does not make any sense !!. institute can have a prerequisite for admission and so this fact should have been presented with a parallelism .also institutes are opened with much broader intentions and not with such narrow intentions as is described in option C

B seems an appropriate sentence. Option C alters the meaning of original sentence and doesn't convey who needs to fulfill the prerequisite.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
Option C alters the meaning of original sentence

honestly i really do not believe into the theory of "meaning of original sentence" ,because 80 % of the time option A is wrong !! so there is no reason as why i should preserve the original meaning but yes, as i have said, i find meaning of C awkward
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sukant2010 wrote:
The academia secretorum naturae, the first scientific community, was founded in 1560, and in order to be included in membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, a prerequisite for admission.

A. 1560, and in order to be included in membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, a prerequisite for admission
B. 1560, and included a prerequisite for admission: in order to be included, you had to have made the discovery of a new law of nature.
C. 1560 with a prerequisite for admission: the discovery of a new law of nature.
D. the year 1560, including the prerequisite that to be included, you needed to have discovered a new law of nature.
E. 1560 with the rule that in order to be admitted for membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, that was the prerequisite.

aditya8062 wrote:

Dear Sukant2010 & aditya8062,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is a truly horrible question. This question apparently was written by someone who had absolutely no understanding of the rigorous standards of the GMAT.
I could see, maybe, testing the colloquial "you" mistake in one answer choice, but testing this in four answer choices is preposterous. The OA, (C), indeed is awkward. This doesn't have the feel of the types of splits the real GMAT would use. This question is an unremitting disaster.
aditya8062 wrote:
honestly i really do not believe into the theory of "meaning of original sentence" ,because 80 % of the time option A is wrong !! so there is no reason as why i should preserve the original meaning but yes, as i have said, i find meaning of C awkward

I would caution you here. While's it's true that 80% of the time, (A) is wrong, nevertheless, the real GMAT communicates clearly a meaning in (A), and it is very important not to change that meaning. This is not a "theory" --- this is part and parcel of how the question is structured. The problem comes with looking at low quality practice questions, such as this one --- in many ways, these questions can be quite misleading, because they fall so short of the high standards of the GMAT.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Please explain why C is the correct choice? I think it lost the intended meaning. These facts are not so closely related and should be written in the form of independent clauses.

1. A community was founded
2. Criteria to be its member

What is wrong with choice A?

I found choice A better than c
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
Please explain why C is the correct choice? I think it lost the intended meaning. These facts are not so closely related and should be written in the form of independent clauses.

1. A community was founded
2. Criteria to be its member

What is wrong with choice A?

I found choice A better than c

In A it appears that the rule is applicable only for "you", the person spoken to, not in general for anybody. Though in colloquial language, we often use such style, in official language such usage is not acceptable.

Moreover if an option uses fewer words to express the same idea, it is considered better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The Academia Sectrorum Naturae, the first scientific community, was founded in 1560, and in order to be included in membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, a prerequisite for admission.

A. 1560, and in order to be included in membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, a prerequisite for admission
B. 1560, and included a prerequisite for admission: in order to be included, you had to have made the discovery of a new law of nature
C. 1560 with a prerequisite for admission: the discovery of a new law of nature
D. the year 1560, including the prerequisite that to be admitted, you needed to have discovered a new law of nature
E. 1560 with the rule that in order to be admitted for membership, you had to discover a new law of nature, that was the prerequisite

By mentioning the word "prerequisite", the intent of the topic is that if one wants to be admitted into the ASN, then one must have already discovered something new. One cannot say that he will enter ASN and then discover something new in the following years.

A and E say "you had to discover' but not "had to have discovered". They are straight out. In C, the noun phrase after colon doesn't seem to make clear whether the new discovery is an already made one or it is going to be made later. Thus, it misses the intent of the issue.

The main contention is between B and D, and both seem to be good or bad; both use the conversational 'you', not seen in GMAT.

B abounds in jarring redundancies. D is wordy with the inclusion of 'the year 1560' rather than '1560'. However, in D, the verb+ing "including" is indeed an apt modifier in that it is an additional information to the main intent of revealing the timeline of the founding year of ASN. Perhaps D is the best among the lot.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts