Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 22:32 It is currently 05 May 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6821 [25]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [8]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7648 [5]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4320 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth [#permalink]
Kudos
E is fine.

If I see a clause between two commas, i usually delete the clause and then re-read the sentence.
So I read C as,
When they applied a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel,....., determining
So they did something,..,determining...(see the difference..?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth [#permalink]
Kudos
V-A-N rule
verbs preferred over Adjectives and adjectives preferred over nouns.Also, verbs preferred over nouns.

eg: it is easy to swim across small ponds
swimming across small ponds is easy.

so, here application of a new method can be replaced by applying a new method.

(D) Vs (E)
(D) Is incorrect.
"......the molars of prehuman ancestors have been examined by scientists, who determined..."takes the sentence into passive voice where we alrady have half of the previous part in active voice.
who is introduced unnecessarily.

(E) wins
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Bookmarks
The application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel allows scientists to examine molars of prehuman ancestors and determining that their diets were more varied than had been supposed.

(A) The application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel allows scientists to examine molars of prehuman ancestors and determining
analyzing and determining could be parallel but both of them talk about different things
(B) Through the application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, the molars of prehuman ancestors were examined by scientists who determined
Modifier error the modifier should modify Scientist and nothing else
(C) When they applied a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, scientists examined molars of prehuman ancestors, determining
Usage of when (timeline???) & they (who they ???)
(D) Applying a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, the molars of prehuman ancestors have been examined by scientists, who determined
Who was applying the new method ??? scientists were not properly modified
(E) Applying a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, scientists have examined molars of prehuman ancestors and determined

I think that is more than sufficient to reach out to conclusion that the right answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Let's check between C and E.

The application of a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel allows scientists to examine molars of prehuman ancestors and determining that their diets were more varied than had been supposed.

Consider the construction, when they applied a method, they deduced that molars of ...
When you apply a method, you deduce something - the result of an experiment.
Compare the same with option 'C'
(C) When they applied a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, scientists examined molars of prehuman ancestors, determining

'C' is awkward.
By applying a method, they examined molars ... is a better construction.

The next error is with the usage of 'determining' which is acting as noun-ing modifier, modifying (correctly) scientists. No issues with this. But as a consequence, 'that their diets...' also modifies 'scientists' - subject of the preceding clause rather than 'ancestors' - object of the preceding clause.

Note that a pronoun need not always refer to the closest noun. Additionally, 'When they applied ... , scientists... , that their ...' also proves that the pronouns are referring to the same subject - scientists, ambiguously.

All these issues are corrected in 'E'. Underlined the modifiers and subjects for you (always remove the prepositional phrases to see how the subjects and modifiers are used)

(E) Applying a new method for analyzing the chemistry of tooth enamel, scientists have examined molars of prehuman ancestors and determined
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
In option E, I have a doubt if "scientists have examined molars of prehuman ancestors and determined" is parallel or not. Shoudn't it be "scientists have X and have Y"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Option A - Incorrect

"to examine and determining" -- not parallel.
"The application of a new method ... allows scientists ... to determine that the diets of pre human ancestors were more varied" -- even this does not make sense. This implies that the scientists already knew that the diets of pre human ancestors were more varied and now are just working on the mechanics to show it via experimental results. A better choice of words would be -- "to determine whether".

Option B - Incorrect

the initial modifier "through the application" must refer to a people who performed the application, not to molars.
"the molars of pre human ancestors were examined by scientists who determined that their diets were more varied ...". This is the same as "Scientists who determined that theS diets of pre human ancestors were more varied examined the molars". Seems to imply that those scientists had already determined that fact when they examined the molars. Not logical.

Option C - Incorrect

"when" suggests that "examined" and "applied" occurred in the same time frame. No other relationship is mentioned. However, "applying the method" was HOW scientists "examined". This is made clear in option E.
Also, "determined", "examined", and "were more varied" all seem to happen in the same time frame. Not logical.

Option D - Incorrect

"applying …" nonsensically refers to "molars".
"have been examined" + "who determined" -- this suggests that "determining" happened before the examination.

Hi.

Apart from looking at parallel construction of a sentence, don't we need to look at meaning change?

Other than A, no other sentence gives the same meaning of allows.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts