Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Inferencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1026 [80]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Marketing
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [18]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V22 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1026 [1]
Send PM
Re: The cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the [#permalink]
Kudos
yes but guys c told about tariff,the thing confused my mind what about transportain fees. Tariff can be less than 10 pecent but there is no information about transportaion fees. Maybe with it it will more expensive then producing it in county Y.

that point makes me confused?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: The cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
fatihaysu wrote:
yes but guys c told about tariff,the thing confused my mind what about transportain fees. Tariff can be less than 10 pecent but there is no information about transportaion fees. Maybe with it it will more expensive then producing it in county Y.

It's all about the wording of the question.

The part that says: "the statement above, if true" is key. You have to assume everything it says is true, meaning that it most definitely IS cheaper to import from Q than to produce in Y, even with tariff + transport. Essentially, we DO have information about the transport fees; we know that no matter what the tariff fee is, they're never going to make it more expensive than Y.

So let's say cost of Y = 100%

We know that Q = 90% (of Y)

We know that Q + tariff + transportation < 100%

Therefore 0% <= tariff < 10% AND 0% <= transportation < 10% ... we just don't know specifically.

Answer C basically says Tariff is less than 10% of Y. True!
Answer D says Transportation is > 10% of Q... which is hard to determine not necessarily true.

Does that help?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3138 [6]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
fatihaysu wrote:

let me explain this through maths

cost in Q is 10% percent less than cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]
cost in Q + transport + tariff < cost in Y
transport + tariff < cost in Y - cost in Q

transport + tariff < 0.1 cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]

this must mean that C is correct
tariff < 10% of cost in Y

C it is

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1026 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
dimitri92 wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

let me explain this through maths

cost in Q is 10% percent less than cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]
cost in Q + transport + tariff < cost in Y
transport + tariff < cost in Y - cost in Q

this must mean that C is correct
tariff < 10% of cost in Y

C it is

can you explain me what if transportain fee is way more then tariff. There is no information about transformation fee. Am i wrong?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3138 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
fatihaysu wrote:

can you explain me what if transportain fee is way more then tariff. There is no information about transformation fee. Am i wrong?

even if the transport fee is way greater than tariff ... the sum of both has to be less than 10% of cost in Y ... and if this is the case the tariff MUST be less than 10%

you usually don't have enough time in gmat to do such problems mathematically ... it was just to explain you .... the quickest way to do the problem is to pick up premises and use them.

premise: cost in Q is 10% less than cost in Y
premise: even if we add transport and tariff, cost in Q is still less than cost in Y

if both premises are true ... transport + tariff just have a margin of 10% of cost in Y .. they cant be more than 10% of cost in Y otherwise radios will get more expensive to import

HTH

don't forget to press KUDOS if you like the explanation ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
C should be the one.

cost of producing radio in country Y = $100
cost of producing radio in country Q (10% less) = $90

The argument says it is cheaper for Y to import radios from Q rather than producing them in-house...that means even when Y imports radios from Q it will cost less than $100.

option C says....The tariff on a radio imported from Q to Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y.....which goes well with the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y.Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

The statments above,if true,best support which of the following assertions?

A) Labor costs in country Q are 10 percent below those in Country Y.

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.

Guyz i have quastions about the right answer so i will wait for the answers first. Than i will discuss why i am not satisfied by the answer explanation.

1. Cost of manufacturing in Country Q is 10% less than that in country Y
2. Even after import from country Q to country Y, the manufacturing price is still less than that in county Y.
It means that import duties are less than 10% of the cost of manufacturing.
Hence answer should be (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Question Stem

The statements above,if true,best support which of the following assertions?

Inference Question. So Answer MUST BE TRUE.

Argument

The cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y. Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added, it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

Pre-thinking
Transportation Fees and Tariff charges are less than 10 percent of he cost of producing radios in Country Y.

Answer Choices

INCORRECT ANSWER - The argument says that cost of producing radios in Country Q is 10 percent less. We have no information of what consists of this cost. Labor costs may be one of the components. So this option may not be true.

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Elimination of jobs is Outside the Scope of the argument. This argument only focuses on the cost of production

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Y
CORRECT ANSWER - Refer to this second sentence - "Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y". So if the Q is 10 percent cheaper and some additional charges are required and still Q is cheaper than Y, means that tariff (and transportation fees, individually or together) is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Y

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q
INCORRECT ANSWER - This cannot be true. It is opposite of what can be inferred from the argument.

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufacture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Time to manufacture is outside the scope of the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
Though many expert advise us not to prethink an inference before going to answer choices, other expert advise us to do so.
I myself see that prethinking an inference before going to answer choices is effective not only for quantitative based inference questions but also for other kinds of inference questions because prethinking helps us better understand and absorb the argument, analysing answer choices better. non natives normally can not absorb well what they read and this is the reason why prethink help us tremendously. And, I think that prethinking is the only method to test that we understand the argument well. Of course, we will not prethink an inference exhaustively. In many questions, we just try to prethink. But just doing so helps us a lot.

in some cases, prethinking an inference bring us the inference which is exactly the correct answer. great in this case.

I want the experts to discuss more on this point. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
he cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y.Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

This is a classic case of rigorous POE.

The statments above,if true,best support which of the following assertions?

Maybe the raw material costs are 10% low.

Maybe it won't.

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y
After rigorous POE and removing all out of scope statements, i reached to this part.

We arenot sure about the transporting fees.

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.
We do not know about the time.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
The cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y. Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added, it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following assertions?

(A) Labor costs in country Q are 10 percent below those in Country Y.

(B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.

(C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y

(D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q

(E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufacture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.

Answer choice A, B, and E are totally out of scope.

D is opposite.

Choice C is a paraphrased from the passage.

Hence (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM