Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [49]
Given Kudos: 8
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
The documentary film An Inconvenient Truth has the distinction of bein [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
All right, I am seeing a lot of questions about this one, so I will stick my neck out and offer why I answered (B) in a little under a minute. As is often the case on harder questions, the reason does have to do with meaning, but here, there was a dash of Hollywood-related jargon that guided my reasoning as well. Let us take a closer look.

bschool83 wrote:
The documentary film An Inconvenient Truth has the distinction of being Hollywood’s first carbon-neutral film: the filmmakers hired energy consultants to determine the movie’s “carbon footprint” from production-related travel, clerical and office expenses, and where the cast and crew stayed on location and then offset the emissions they produced with renewable energy credits.

Notice first how there are three parts to the list within the prepositional phrase that begins with from: a) production-related travel; b) clerical and office expenses; c) where the cast and crew stayed on location. The first two parts are parallel, with an adjective or adjectives modifying the noun that follows. We would expect the third part to follow such an example. The current underlined portion does not, introducing a clause instead. More on this in a moment.

bschool83 wrote:
A. where the cast and crew stayed on location

The parallelism is completely shot here. The nouns of the list, stripped of the adjectives, are travel, expenses, and... where the cast and crew stayed. There should be a better option somewhere.

bschool83 wrote:
B. the places where the cast and crew stayed on location

Now our list of nouns is complete: travel, expenses, and, essentially, places. Yes, I would expect an adjectival modifier ahead of the places, rather than this where (or in which) clause that follows. The answer is also long-winded. But stayed on location is correct in describing where the cast and crew had stayed, on the model of the more frequently encountered filmed on location. I will confess to keeping this answer on hold while I scoured the other choices for more obvious errors. For now, though, I see nothing out-and-out wrong here.

bschool83 wrote:
C. location accommodations for the cast and crew

This is a tempting choice. The third part of the list would now be accommodations, with location being used as an adjective ahead of it. Seems perfect, right? The problem I have with location accommodations is the missing preposition, on. The sentence no longer conveys that the cast and crew had stayed on location, i.e. where the movie was filmed, but just that they had stayed someplace, at a location that had provided accommodations for them. Since the sentence focuses on the movie's "carbon footprint," I would expect the cast and crew to have stayed as close to where they had filmed as possible, and the missing on muddles the picture. I mulled this one over, but I ultimately passed.

bschool83 wrote:
D. the cast and crew’s location accommodations

Perhaps this answer choice helped me get rid of (C), in retrospect. I know, the adjective-noun-prepositional phrase of the previous answer might have a leg up on the possessive-adjective-noun construct here, but they convey pretty much the same meaning, and I had held on to (B) earlier with its unwieldy construct. The bottom line is that the cast and crew could still be staying anywhere, irrespective of the premise of the sentence, the carbon-neutral quality of the film project.

bschool83 wrote:
E. accommodating the cast and crew on location

Phew! Finally, an easier option to pick off. The list travel, expenses, and accommodating does not fit together at all. For the nominative use of the -ing phrase, I would expect the earlier examples to have established a precedent. (As a concession, at least this option preserves the on location.)

There you have it. I know it might not be mind-blowing, but clarity of meaning is always the primary concern in SC. I like a terse answer choice just as much as the next person, and the GMAT™ often prefers such conciseness, but never at the expense of a clearcut meaning. In keeping with this overarching aim, the best option above is (B). If I were writing such a sentence on my own, I would probably come up with a different iteration, but you can only work with what is on the screen.

I would be happy to discuss any lingering questions or concerns anyone has on this one. As always, best of luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Schools: ISB YLP'24
Send PM
Re: The documentary film An Inconvenient Truth has the distinction of bein [#permalink]
The OA (B) does not seem parallel as the list should be --travel, --expenses, and --accommodation
On the up and up, there is no option that seems "wrong" based on grammatical rules.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The documentary film An Inconvenient Truth has the distinction of bein [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm generally wary of questions from "Other," and this is no exception. "Places" aren't something we can use to determine carbon emissions, nor are "clerical and office expenses." Parallelism is about more than just matching part of speech; each parallel item has to work logically within the structure of the sentence to convey the correct meaning. Please don't try to learn from this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
THE STRUCTURE IN OA DOES NOT SEEM PARALLEL. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THANKS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1201
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Why is option C incorrect?
How is parallelism established in OA B?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts