Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [6]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Send PM
Re: “Channel One” is a 12-minute school news show that includes two minute [#permalink]
nightblade354 wrote:
I don't like this question. Although the OA is (A), I believe (D) makes an equally strong case. If you negate the answer, and students aren't interested in the program, then they do not view the advertisement and the argument is pointless.

Anyone else care to way in?

[D] is talking about the students' interests in 'world affairs', which is not the argument.

The argument is about students knowing the difference between programming and advertising. The news show info just sets up the premise.

Plus, assuming the news show to be about 'world affairs' is a bit of a stretch. I mean, it could be National, Local or about Science.
The bit about being interested in 'world affairs' is the trap here. Assumptions are usually generic or somehow tied to something in the paragraph.

[D] doesn't tie to anything in the paragraph. I can only say that you assumed the news show is about 'world affairs' and picked [D].
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
Re: “Channel One” is a 12-minute school news show that includes two minute [#permalink]
This is a good question, let me share my reasoning.
This is an assumption question, so we basically need to strengthen the conclusion. Arriving at the conclusion can get a bit tricky here as it is something which is not directly stated by is something which is indirectly implied. The author wants to say that the advertisements aired in school between news program do not indoctrinate students in other words he is refuting the apprehensions of teachers and parents, what is stated in the last sentence works as an evidence to author's conclusion. Now, if this part is understood then is question is a cakewalk, as if we need to strengthen the author's conclusion that advertisements aired in schools do not indoctrinate students then we basically need to get hold of an option which states the effect of those advertisements is the same at both school and elsewhere and this is what option A does.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
I don't like this question. Although the OA is (A), I believe (D) makes an equally strong case. If you negate the answer, and students aren't interested in the program, then they do not view the advertisement and the argument is pointless.

Anyone else care to way in?

I was between D and A.

D would make sense to strengthen the conclusion that students know the difference between x and y.

A is a statement that follows the parents’ concern. Parents assume that ads shown on TV School are the same as the ads shown on TV @ home.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts