Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [8]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: The high number of errors made by the company's data-entry operators i [#permalink]
interesting question, though not hard enough for 700+
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Re: The high number of errors made by the company's data-entry operators i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Official Explanation:

Conclusion: The high number of errors made by the company's data-entry operators is not the fault of the operators themselves.

Premise: The high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands occurs, because the programmers who designed the company's data-entry system did not consider the needs of its users.

Assumptions: (1) It’s not a coincidence. It’s not a coincidence that the programmers who designed the company's data-entry system did not consider the needs of its users and that there is a high number of errors made by the company's data-entry operators.

(2) There’s no other cause. Nothing else but the programmers not considering the needs of the users caused the high number of errors made by the company's data-entry operators.

The question stem states that Each one of the following statements about the data-entry program in question, if correct, would reinforce the author's claim EXCEPT, so this is a weaken question. The argument uses a causality reasoning pattern. This can be identified by recognizing that one variable, in this case, that the programmers who designed the company's data-entry system did not consider the needs of its users directly correlates with a specific outcome, in this case, that the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands made by the company's data-entry operators.

The standard assumptions of a causality reasoning pattern are that it is not a coincidence and there’s no other cause. Because this is a weaken question, the correct answer will show that the relationship between The high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands, and the fact that the programmers who designed the company's data-entry system did not consider the needs of its users is just a coincidence or that there is another possible cause for the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands. Evaluate the answer choices, looking for a choice that matches one of these ideas.

Choice A: Correct. This choice weakens the argument. If Commands for different functions are initiated by entering dissimilar words, then the high number of errors would be the result of the input by the company's data-entry operators, not that the programmers who designed the company's data-entry system did not consider the needs of its users.

Choice B: No. This answer choice strengthens the argument. If Commands for different functions must be initiated by entering words identical to each other except for the use of capital and small letters, then it is more likely that the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands is caused by programmers who did not consider the needs of users.

Choice C: No. This answer choice strengthens the argument. If The various charts within the program from which operators must obtain information appear on a computer screen at once, with no titles distinguishing one from another, then it is more likely that the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands is caused by programmers who did not consider the needs of users.

Choice D: No. This answer choice strengthens the argument. If Operators must read numbers displayed on the screen in columns and rows of very small type, then it is more likely that the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands is caused by programmers who did not consider the needs of users.

Choice E: No. This answer choice strengthens the argument. If Messages meant to inform the user of various entry options use a wide array of esoteric technical terms, then it is more likely that the high number of errors resulting from confusing or misreading entry commands is caused by programmers who did not consider the needs of users.

The correct answer is choice A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts