Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [26]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The legislature has proposed a bill requiring that firms should retain [#permalink]
Kudos
when a trigger word like demand , propose is used to+verb is not used ? then why option E is used . @e-gmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The legislature has proposed a bill requiring that firms should retain [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Aks4444MBA wrote:
Hi
As i know subjunctive structure is -
Verb1+that+Singular Noun+Verb2

where Verb1- ask,demand,requirement,prapose,suggest,insist,Expression of(Requirement,suggestion,demand)

So by visualizing the Question ,B is the best appropriate ans
Please let me know if i am wrong

Aks4444MBA here requiring is not a verb. An - ING word in order to be a verb has to be preceded by a "to be" verb is, am, are, was, were,etc

The correct idiom is "proposed x to y"

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
The legislature has proposed a bill requiring that firms should retain [#permalink]
Kudos
option B is the passive form , and when there's an active form available in the options , i think GMAT will always prefer the active form. Hence option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: The legislature has proposed a bill requiring that firms should retain [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun,

How is E correct ? It is using an infinitive "to retain " in a subjunctive setup.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

How is E correct ? It is using an infinitive "to retain " in a subjunctive setup.

Hi Namangupta1997,

The verb require may be followed by a that-clause, but it can also be followed by, as you mentioned, an infinitive. In fact, we can even use a noun after it ("this patient requires oxygen").
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Aks4444MBA wrote:
Hi

where Verb1- ask,demand,requirement,prapose,suggest,insist,Expression of(Requirement,suggestion,demand)

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

Hello Namangupta1997,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, “bossy verb (“requires”) + infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb”- “retain” in this sentence)” is, indeed, a correct subjunctive mood usage.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

Hi Namangupta1997,

The verb require may be followed by a that-clause, but it can also be followed by, as you mentioned, an infinitive. In fact, we can even use a noun after it ("this patient requires oxygen").

In this sentence, "requiring" is not acting as a verb. If the sentence was something like " The legislature has proposed a bill which requires... " , in that case, would option B be correct ?
Tutor
Affiliations: Co-founder at a GMAT Prep Company
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q88 V89 DI84
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

Hi Namangupta1997,

In this sentence, "requiring" is not acting as a verb. If the sentence was something like " The legislature has proposed a bill which requires... " , in that case, would option B be correct ?

Hi Namangupta1997, I will let Ajitesh sir respond to your query with his invaluable insights as well, but since I was passing by this thread, I will just share a quick point here.

The subjunctive, as Ajitesh sir has mentioned in his earlier post, is not incorrect with "require" -- in fact, you can even have a noun after "requires". In isolation, (B) would have been perfect, albeit slightly passive, as "requiring" (in this context) is more or less the same as the reduction of "that/which" + requires -- do note that there should be no comma before "which". The issue with (B) is that we have got an "...or face" ahead in the non-underlined portion, and therefore the parallelism doesn't hold.

When approaching an SC question, don't be confined to just one rule which may be applicable to the question. Developing a solid SC strategy, particularly for attaining a V42+ score, requires an immaculate understanding of the fundamentals, and having the wherewithal (which stems from the former idea) to know when to apply two or more different rules to the same question, depending upon the logic, the meaning, and the non-underlined portion of the sentence.

Hope this helps, and of course, Ajitesh sir can, and probably will, share a much better version of my poorly rehashed ideas :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Aks4444MBA wrote:
Hi

Option B seems to suggest the meaning that "all account records" (whether or not a firm's own, may the legislature's) should be maintained by firms (a particular set of firms appointed by the legislature)

Since there are at least 2 possible meanings that seems to follow the correct grammatical flow, I would assume that this option is ambiguous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q85 V80 DI76
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
I was confused between A and E and was out of any reason to discard one of them so I went with A. Can anyone help here?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts