Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:30 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Four Key Tips for Round 2 Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Four Key Tips for Round 2 Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton Applicants
Now that the Round 1 deadlines have passed for Harvard Business School (HBS), the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB), and the Wharton School, candidates might worry that their chances for admission have diminished. However, these schools will tell you that they strive to make admissions odds across Rounds 1 and 2 roughly equivalent, and although the admissions committees cannot perfectly predict how many candidates will apply in each round, they always leave ample room in the class for Round 2, which tends to attract the largest number of applicants. If you are planning to apply to one of these programs this year, here are a few tips to keep in mind.

[b]Take the right test.[/b]
Fall 2023 is bringing big changes to the two main standardized tests for business school, the GMAT and the GRE. The shorter, redesigned GMAT Focus will launch on November 7, while the regular GMAT will remain available until sometime in the first quarter of 2024. If you are applying this year in Round 2, make sure you are taking the correct version of this test for the programs you are targeting. Neither HBS nor Wharton will accept the new GMAT Focus in Round 2 this year. HBS will accept it only for 2+2 deferred enrollment applicants, and Wharton will accept it only for Round 3 and Moelis Advance Access deferred enrollment applicants. So, if you are applying to either of those schools in Round 2, make sure to take the standard GMAT. If you are targeting the Stanford GSB only, however, you can take either the GMAT or the GMAT Focus; it accepts both.

The revamped GRE launched on September 22, and the new version of the test completely supplanted the old one. Because only one version of the GRE is offered, all three schools will accept either the old or new version, as long as your test date falls within the eligible range and you complete your testing before the program’s deadline.

[b]Do your homework.[/b]
Fall tends to be a busy time. Perhaps because things are so hectic, Round 2 applicants often rush through their applications without taking the time to build the critical self-awareness they need for the process. Avoid falling into this trap. Take the necessary time to think deeply about who you are and what you care about. This reflection will be your North Star as you fill out your applications.

With school back in session in the fall, you have an excellent opportunity to get a feel for your target programs while campuses are active. All three programs offer incredible MBA experiences, but they are very different! Get to know the schools beyond the most cursory research. If you visit campus, try to sit in on classes in action. Reach out to club officers and admissions ambassadors, who are typically far more available in the fall than they tend to be in summer. Review the latest class profile, and check out the school calendars to see what events and speakers are scheduled. Not only will all this research help you refine your interests and preferences, but it will also prepare you to be able to articulate much more thoughtful answers to such essay questions as “Why Stanford?” and “How do you plan to make specific, meaningful contributions to the Wharton community?“

[b]Differentiate yourself.[/b]
All candidates need to assess their strengths and weaknesses in any round, but by Round 2, many seats in the class are already occupied, so differentiation becomes even more critical. Look beyond the basics to identify the other dimensions you bring: your core values, your identity across multiple lenses, and your personal experiences. If you are in an overrepresented category in the applicant pool, consider highlighting the elements that set you apart. However, we are not encouraging you to make hollow statements that you think schools want to hear. You still want to stay true to yourself and steer clear of gimmicks. We simply suggest that you think broadly to be able to demonstrate throughout your applications the individuality you can bring to the class.

Given HBS’s emphasis on building a “mosaic of perspectives” in its classroom, consider what you might add to your section beyond the norm, and highlight this where appropriate. You might bring this viewpoint to the main essay, in which you discuss “what more” the admissions committee should know; or you might bring out unique experiences in the short answers of the application. With approximately 1,850 potential words in the combined main and optional essays, the GSB gives you plenty of space in which to tell your story. Use the application’s different components to showcase multiple dimensions of your candidacy, avoiding repetition wherever possible. With Wharton, you must leverage a tighter space, but thinking outside the box could make you a stronger candidate. All schools want diverse voices and perspectives. How might you add something different to the Wharton community beyond what others could contribute?

[b]Do not delay.[/b]
Whether you slipped to Round 2 from an earlier application round or are just getting started, you will likely find that the early January deadlines come quickly. In the fall, most companies are in “back to work” mode, surging ahead on projects and deals. At the same time, Round 2 is full of holidays, which often demand one’s attention to family or other obligations. Finally, illness becomes more of a factor in Round 2. Whether from a new COVID strain or the flu, applicants are more likely to get sick in the fall and winter months, slowing their application progress. So, start as early as you can, and keep moving forward on all application deliverables. That way, if a delay arises, you will have less difficulty getting back on track. Remember, HBS has no Round 3, and the GSB and Wharton have very small “shaping” rounds in which admission is much more difficult, so missing the Round 2 deadline could force you to delay your plans to the following year.

To view the upcoming Round 2 application deadlines for these and other MBA programs, . And if you have any questions about how to best position your candidacy or approach these challenging applications, we encourage you take advantage of a [url=https://www.mbamission.com/consult/mba-admissions/][b]free, 30-minute consultation[/b][/url] to discuss your options with one of our experts.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Five Ways to Overcome Networking Nerves [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Five Ways to Overcome Networking Nerves
We all know that networking can be a daunting task (despite being very important) in the job search process.

Often, clients are nervous about approaching contacts and conducting networking meetings. And although feeling a certain amount of anxiety is normal, finding ways to overcome your networking nerves is critical for success in your job search.

Here are five ways to calm your anxiousness:

1. Reframe how you think of networking.
    At its core, networking is just a conversation between two people. You have conversations at work or school all the time. In many of these conversations, you ask people for things or seek their advice. Networking is no different.Consider asking your contact for a shorter window of time (e.g., 10 to 15 minutes versus 20 to 30 minutes). Take the pressure off; refer to your upcoming conversation as an exchange of information instead of a networking call.Focus on the outcome you desire rather than on what could go wrong.For each conversation, define what constitutes a “successful” outcome. Many different positive outcomes are possible, such as gaining insight into a better way to talk about your experiences, learning a key piece of information about a target company, or being introduced to a new contact.
2. Create and internalize a positive mantra (e.g., “I have a lot to offer”).
    Put yourself in the shoes of the person with whom you are talking; they are just like you.Remember that your contact has agreed to talk with you, so they are willing to have the conversation and anticipate that you will ask for their advice and guidance.No one expects you to be perfect. Plus, your contact’s actions or reactions to your conversation could have little to do with you and much to do with what is going on in their mind or life.Remember to breathe. Go easy on the caffeine! Drinking too much coffee will increase your heart rate, potentially exacerbating your feelings of nervousness.
3. Show respect and gratitude.
    Be an active listener. When you are a good listener, the conversation will likely flow more smoothly. The exchange is about building rapport, not simply gathering facts. You can do this by asking thoughtful follow-up questions or commenting on what the contact shares with you.Make the interaction with your contact a two-way street by offering to reciprocate in some way. Maybe your contact is quietly looking for a new job, wants to understand the marketplace better, or has a family member who is searching for a contact like you.
4. Confront your fears.
    What are you most worried about happening? With that answer in mind, plan out how you can be ready should that worst thing actually happen. What would you do? (You might even realize that your worst-case scenario is fairly unlikely.)Determine whether (and what kind of) preparation will reduce your fears. Maybe consider role-playing?Think about the times when you feel this type of fear elsewhere in your life. Why does it happen, and have you discovered any strategies to overcome it?
5. Prepare.
    Set a reasonable goal for each conversation as well as overarching goals for the amount of networking outreach you plan to do each week.Research your contact. Create an agenda, and draft customized questions before your call. You asked for the meeting, so you will be expected to drive it.Practice! Know how you will introduce yourself, and be comfortable answering questions about your background and interests.
After each networking meeting, do not forget to acknowledge (and maybe even celebrate) the courage you showed in stepping outside your comfort zone. Every conversation is both a win and a learning opportunity.

For more career advice, download our free career guides, which have been written in conjunction with industry insiders who provide intriguing perspectives on the fields.

mbaMission’s Career Coaches are happy to explore with you any career-related topics, including selecting potential career paths, crafting your professional narrative, and maximizing the effectiveness of your job search, during a complimentary, 30-minute career consultation. Sign up for your free session today!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Should I Consider Chicago Booth and Wharton for Marketing? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Should I Consider Chicago Booth and Wharton for Marketing?
You may be surprised to learn that the University of Chicago Booth School of Business is making inroads into an area that its crosstown rival (Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management) is known to dominate: marketing. Through the James M. Kilts Center for Marketing—named for the Chicago Booth graduate who was formerly CEO of Gillette and Nabisco (and is now a partner at Centerview Partners, which he co-founded)—Chicago Booth offers students roughly a dozen marketing electives. In particular, the school is growing its experiential opportunities in the marketing field, with students taking part in marketing management labs (semester-long consulting projects) at companies that in the past have included Abbott Laboratories, Bank of America, and Honeywell International. Further, professors in the department saw opportunities for increased practical involvement and created “hybrid” classes such as “Digital Marketing Lab” and “Lab in Developing New Products and Services” that involve a lecture component but also allow students to work on shorter-term consulting projects. In addition, students can apply for Kilts Fellowships, which provide scholarship funds and a two-year mentoring relationship.

Another potentially overlooked destination for marketing-driven MBA applicants is the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, which might be best known for its reputation in finance (as its original name, the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, would imply). Nevertheless, the school prides itself on the breadth and depth of its expertise in a multitude of business areas.

For instance, consider these facts about Wharton’s highly regarded marketing program:

• Wharton has “the largest, most cited, and most published marketing faculty in the world,” according to the marketing department’s website.
  • The school’s marketing department was ranked #2 in the 2023–2024 U.S. News & World Report MBA rankings by specialty.
  • A Wharton marketing professor developed conjoint analysis, a tool that has helped shape 20th century marketing practices.
  • The Wharton Marketing Conference brings together approximately 300 students, faculty members, alumni, and leading marketing experts to explore various themes central to the industry. The latest conference—held virtually in October 2021 with the theme “Rewriting the Playbook”—featured a fireside chat with the co-founders of True Places. Panel discussions included such topics as “Marketing within Data Sensitive Industries” and “Building Engaged Content Communities,” with panelists and speakers hailing from such companies as Peloton, the Kellogg Company, Curology, and TikTok.
Indeed, to dismiss Wharton as simply a finance school would be a mistake.

For a thorough exploration of what Chicago Booth, Wharton, and other top business schools have to offer, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Fixing Common Interviewing Mistakes [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Fixing Common Interviewing Mistakes
This post was written by mbaMission resident Career Coach Elissa Harris. To sign up for a free 30-minute career consultation with Elissa, pleaseclick here.

In this post, we cover the following:

Follow the “Answer First” Model

As many MBA students are preparing for interviews right now, we at mbaMission are hearing a number of common (yet easy to correct) mistakes in our clients’ answers to sample questions.

A primary issue is taking too long to get to the main point of your story. Doing so is problematic because often, the interviewer will stop paying attention and miss hearing how great you are and how you can help their business.

To help you improve on this, we offer the following “before” and “after” answer examples. Please note that these examples are for illustrative purposes only and should not be repeated verbatim in upcoming interviews.

Prompt: Tell me about yourself.

Before: I am a first-year MBA student at School X, majoring in strategic management. I grew up in the Bay Area and went to college at School Y. I joined Company Z’s leadership rotational program and served across the marketing, operations, and finance functions of the company. After two and a half years and a promotion, I left Company Z to join a start-up, where I did project management and helped scale the company from ten to 200 employees…

Revision Tips: Start with a headline or roadmap for your answer. Before launching into your experiences, try summarizing them into themes such as relevant attributes for the job, specific examples of accomplishments, the rationale for each step in your career, and evidence of a connection to your target role.

After: I am really excited to be here today interviewing for a consulting position with Firm X, because I believe my experiences thus far will enable me to drive impact for your clients. Throughout my personal and professional life, I have chosen opportunities that developed my analytical problem-solving foundation and pushed me to build strong leadership and client engagement capabilities. After attending college at School Y, I decided to join Company Z’s leadership rotational program to apply the business acumen I developed as an undergraduate economics major. Throughout my two and a half years at the company and rotations across four different functions, I frequently collected and analyzed large datasets to form hypotheses and propose potential solutions to senior leadership…

Prompt: Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to adopt a different way of thinking.

Before: I would like to tell you about a time when I disagreed with the senior management of Company X about the company’s marketing strategy. The challenges I faced were…

Revision Tips: Hook the interviewer from the start. Use words from the interviewer’s question in your response, and provide context (e.g., numbers) to help them understand that persuading senior management was a true challenge and that your actions were really impressive and impactful for the organization.

After: I would like to tell you about a time when I convinced the senior director of innovation at Company X, James, to shift from a traditional marketing strategy to a social media–based one. This change led to an eight-X increase in visibility for the firm’s innovation initiatives and three new client contracts worth more than $2M in revenue. In doing this, the challenges I faced were…

With both of these questions, we recommend limiting your answer time to two minutes. No matter how awesome your full story is, the interviewer wants to see how you curate your experiences into a concise narrative.

Be Confident!

Many MBA students tend to get in their own way when interviewing. Although they prepare structured stories to share with their interviewer, they do not end up telling those stories with confidence or energy. Your word choice, tone, and body language are critical for success in your interview.

A lack of confidence manifests in an inability to communicate your experiences as relevant for the position, to build a connection with the interviewer, and to project authority and credibility. This makes the interviewer less confident about your ability to do the job. To improve your performance, we encourage you to reflect, research, and take action.

Reflect: Ask yourself, “What is the root cause of my lack of confidence?” Recall situations in which you felt confident and ones in which you lacked confidence. Can you identify any similarities or common threads between these two types of situations? Uncovering what makes you feel nervous allows you to find remedies for it. Recognize that different tactics work for different candidates, but in the end, be kind to yourself and believe in your abilities.

Tip: Practice reframing exercises; remind yourself that you are the expert on you. Read workplace psychologist Adam Grant’s article about overcoming his fear of public speaking for many useful tips. Listen to upbeat music. Repeat positive mantras.

Research: Analyze the target job description and talk with employees at the firm to identify the most important competencies for the role. Identify details in each of your stories that correspond with those competencies, and focus on numbers that can prove the scope, complexity, and impact of your work.

Tip: Sell your accomplishments. You are expected to highlight specifics about how you helped your previous employers or transformed outcomes for an organization; this information helps the interviewer understand your value.

Take Action: Prepare talking points for your interview. Identify the three or four key ideas you want to communicate about yourself and the three or four reasons you are passionate about the role and company you are interviewing for. Aim to connect with the interviewer, not impress them. Take back some power—you need to like the interviewer (and their company/the target role) just as much as they need to like you!

Tip: Practice interviewing (aloud!). Find friends or—even better—people who do not know you well to conduct a mock interview with you. Record and review your practice sessions, looking to learn from the moments when you appear most (and least) confident.

Remember that the firm selected you for an interview, so your interviewer will be eager to hear how you can help the organization.

Position Yourself for Success in Video Interviews

Even though many employees have returned to the workplace by now, companies continue to engage with job candidates via video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Teams. This technology has made managing interview logistics easier for some firms.

To help you successfully stand out in video interviews (or in networking conversations), we offer these easy-to-follow tips:

Pay Attention to Your Setting: Find a quiet, private, well-lit area that is free from potential interruptions or distractions. Position your camera so that you have a neutral background.

Test Your Technology in Advance: Set up and test the software platform prior to the interview start time. Put your phone away; do not let it distract you during the interview.

Wear Appropriate Attire: Dress as you would for an in-person interview, but consider selecting softer colors rather than bright ones, and avoid busy patterns. If you wear glasses, adjust the lighting in the room to reduce glare from the lenses.

Pay Attention to Your Body Language: Look at the camera when you are speaking, and avoid the instinct to look directly at your interviewer. Do not use notes during the conversation; a hiring manager can easily tell when you are reading rather than speaking naturally.

Polish Your Storytelling: Prepare for the standard questions that are typically asked during in-person interviews. Know your value proposition and connect it to the needs of the company and role.

Practice: You want to demonstrate confident body language and a sense of comfort on camera. Your goal is to make the interviewer feel as though you are in the same room with them. Do a trial run by scheduling a mock video interview with an mbaMission Career Coach or with one of your friends.

Remember the bottom line: Prepare and behave exactly the same as you would for an in-person interview. You want to be professional but also let your personality shine through.

To learn other strategies for improving your interview performance, schedule a complimentary 30-minute consultation with an mbaMission Career Coach.
Send PM
Your Harvard Business School and Stanford Graduate School of Business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Your Harvard Business School and Stanford Graduate School of Business Essay Questions Answered
With Round 2 application deadlines around the corner, many of you are no doubt starting (or continuing) to rack your brains over the challenging Harvard Business School (HBS) and Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) essay questions of, respectively, “What more would you like us to know?” and “What matters most to you, and why?” These open-ended questions do not have any one “right” answer.

To help you tackle these two behemoth essays, we at mbaMission have identified the top questions asked by candidates applying to these business schools. We hope our ideas will provide food for thought and help you kick-start your HBS and Stanford GSB essays.

[b]“Which one should I write first?”[/b]
If you are applying to both of these schools, you might be wondering whether writing the HBS essay first would be easier or whether starting with the GSB essay would be better. The answer is that neither will necessarily be easier than the other, so you can begin with either one. Try starting with the essay that you find more instinctive to write. Because the GSB essay question is more defined, many applicants find it easier to start with. That said, some candidates already have a topic in mind for their HBS essay and therefore might find that one easier to work on first. Whichever one you choose to begin with, the important thing is just to start writing!

[b]“How long should the essays be?”[/b]
HBS has a limit of 900 words for its essay, which we applaud the school for, because it levels the playing field for everyone.

The GSB admissions committee suggests writing no more than 650 words for Essay A (“What matters most to you, and why?”) and no more than 400 words for Essay B (“Why Stanford?”). The total word count of both essays combined cannot be more than 1,050 words. Although you might be tempted to write more than 650 words for Essay A, doing so could be detrimental to your Essay B. In our experience, 400 words is sufficiently long to allow you to respond to the Essay B prompt, so we recommend sticking close to the suggested word count for each essay.

[b]“Can I use the same topic for both the HBS essay and the GSB essay?”[/b]
Yes, you can, as long as you feel your topic appropriately answers both prompts. Just be sure to tailor each essay to its specific question—what matters most to you (and why) for the GSB and what more you want the admissions committee to know about you for HBS.

[b]“Should the essays be personal, professional, or a mix of the two?”[/b]
Yes, yes, and yes. We have seen successful essays that use a mix of personal and professional stories, as well as successful essays that use only personal or only professional stories. The admissions committee is not looking for a specific mix. They are looking to learn more about you. So whatever stories you choose, just make sure that they are woven into your narrative coherently and compellingly.

[b]“Are the GSB optional short-answer questions really optional?”[/b]
Generally speaking, you will not be penalized for skipping questions marked as “optional.” That said, optional questions provide an opportunity for you to share stories or additional context that you might not have been able to fit into your two required GSB essays. For example, we encourage you to answer one key optional short-answer question in particular: “Think about times you’ve created a positive impact, whether in professional, extracurricular, academic, or other settings. What was your impact? What made it significant to you or to others?” Seize this chance to share more of your achievements!

Although these are some of the most common questions we receive about the HBS and GSB essays, applicants undoubtedly will have many more we have not addressed here. If you would like even more targeted guidance on approaching and writing your HBS or GSB essay, along with annotated essays from actual past applicants, check out our book [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/what-matters-and-what-more][b]“What Matters?” and “What More?”: 50 Successful Essays for the Stanford GSB and HBS (and Why They Worked)[/b][/url].
Send PM
Are You Employable in the Eyes of the Admissions Committee? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Are You Employable in the Eyes of the Admissions Committee?
We believe that asking MBA candidates about their goals is plainly absurd, because so many students change their goals while they are in business school. Further, the pursuit of an MBA is supposed to be about career development and exploration, right? Regardless of how we feel regarding the subject, though, you must ensure that if a school asks about your goals in its essay questions or an interview, you have a compelling story about where you believe your MBA will take you. Several years ago, getting a banking job may have sounded compelling to you—are you really capable of making that transition today? Certainly, fewer jobs are available now in the real estate world—is this a likely next step for you during a prolonged real estate drought? Venture capital and private equity jobs are challenging to land even during the best of times—are you able to compete with the elite during a downturn?

These are just a few examples of questions you should honestly ask yourself. Keep in mind that not only are the admissions committees examining your story to determine what attributes you might bring to the next class, but if you are a borderline case, they may also send your profile to the career services office to help confirm whether your stated goals are realistic and if you will be difficult to place by or after graduation (i.e., whether you will hinder the school’s employment stats and thereby negatively affect its standing in the rankings). So, pay special attention to your goal statements and make sure that you can credibly stand behind them—and, as we have written in the past, even consider being prepared to discuss some alternate goals.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Months of Work Experience Will Not [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Months of Work Experience Will Not Count
“I had an internship from June to August of 2022. Will the admissions committee count it as work experience?”

“I was running a lab during my Master’s program—is that part of my total number of months of work experience?”

“I ran a small business that ultimately failed—will I get credit for my time as an entrepreneur?”

Business schools have not seriously considered a candidate’s number of months of work experience as a factor in admissions decisions for a long time. In fact, with such programs as Harvard Business School and the Stanford Graduate School of Business increasingly open to younger candidates, work experience on a strictly quantitative level is actually being devalued at some schools. A candidate’s quantity of work experience is just not relevant—quality is what is important. An “average” employee who has merely fulfilled expectations during a five-year stint at a Fortune 500 company could certainly be said to be at a disadvantage compared with an individual who has made the most of a three-year stint elsewhere and has been promoted ahead of schedule. Think about it—which of the two would you admit?

So, if you are asked on an application how many months of work experience you will have prior to matriculating, you should simply answer honestly. If you have any gray areas or are unsure about any aspect of your professional experience as it pertains to your application, you can always call the Admissions Office for guidance—most Admissions Offices are actually surprisingly helpful with this kind of simple technical question. Thereafter, stop worrying about the number of months of experience you do or do not have and instead focus on revealing that—and how—you have made an impact in your professional life. Your essays, recommendations, interviews, resume, and other application elements will ultimately make a qualitative impact that will outweigh any quantitative data.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Am Too Old to Get into Business Scho [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Am Too Old to Get into Business School
We at mbaMission often receive panicked phone calls from applicants in their late 20s, asking if they are too old to get into business school. Why do so many candidates have this concern?

Over the past decade or so, several top schools have declared their openness to younger candidates and have even been courting them. Harvard Business School has welcomed “direct admits” (those entering immediately after completing their undergraduate degrees) and started the 2+2 Program to encourage undergraduates to consider deferred acceptance. Chicago Booth followed suit and launched the Chicago Booth Scholars Program, which grants deferred admission to undergraduate seniors from all schools, in addition to various Early Career Candidate programs to attract candidates with one to three years of experience. Such schools as MIT Sloan and Northwestern Kellogg also offer deferred MBA programs. Although the Stanford Graduate School of Business does not publish the average age of its students, it does state that its students have an average of approximately four-and-a-half years of work experience. So, if you are an “older” candidate at 27, 28, 29, or—dare we even write it?—30, should you even bother applying?

First of all, we must note that not all schools have jumped on the bandwagon with admitting younger candidates. Dartmouth Tuck, for example, states on its Admissions FAQ page that “typically,” it does not accept applicants without work experience. The average work experience of students at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business is listed as four years, with a range of one to ten—meaning that the school typically does not accept direct admits, though the school notes on its website that it does not have an official minimum work experience requirement. Michigan Ross requires that students complete their undergraduate degree before applying, meaning that college seniors are ineligible.

However, if you are focused on a school that is open to younger candidates, you should still think logically about the situation: you cannot get any younger, so you can either self-select out of the application process or let the admissions committee read your application and make its own decision. Further, applicants should not confuse an openness to younger candidates with an aversion to older candidates. If you have something special to offer, you are still in the running—no secret cutoff is in play that would immediately eliminate you from the applicant pool.

As we have written before, business schools are governed by self-interest. They want the best candidates they can get! If you are among the best, your age will not be an obstacle.
Send PM
Hands-On Finance Opportunities at Michigan Ross and UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Hands-On Finance Opportunities at Michigan Ross and UCLA Anderson
You may not realize that students at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan do not have to travel all that far to get hands-on Wall Street experience. Through the John R. and Georgene M. Tozzi Electronic Business and Finance Center (known as simply the Tozzi Center), students can find themselves on Wall Street without ever having to leave Ann Arbor. Housed in a 5,800-square-foot facility on campus, the Tozzi Center boasts a state-of-the-art mock trading floor as well as an electronic modular classroom and an e-lab seminar room. The latest financial tools—including live news wires, trading systems, and data and research services—can be found at the center. The space has been designed to look and feel like the real thing, so do not be surprised if you hear “Sell, Sell, Sell!” when you walk by students in action.

Many acknowledge UCLA Anderson’s unique connections to the media and entertainment industry. However, far fewer MBA aspirants are aware of the tremendous opportunities Anderson provides to students interested in investment management. Established in 1987, the Anderson Student Asset Management (ASAM) program (formerly the Student Investment Fund) is a fellowship that provides up to 20 students with a hands-on opportunity to apply what they have learned thus far about investment theory. Students must apply for the opportunity to manage the portfolio, currently worth approximately $1M, for five academic quarters. ASAM Fellows engage in investment strategy, asset allocation, and security analysis, and they explore both value and growth approaches to investment as well as fixed income investments. Fellows get together weekly during the academic year and visit investment professionals throughout the fellowship to learn about different investment philosophies. Those interested in a career in investment management should give UCLA Anderson a closer look.

For more information on Michigan Ross, UCLA Anderson, or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Antonio Fatás, INSEAD [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Antonio Fatás, INSEAD
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we focus on Antonio Fatás from INSEAD.

The Portuguese Council Chaired Professor of European Studies, Antonio Fatás teaches macroeconomics on INSEAD’s Singapore campus. Fatás has served as a consultant for numerous international financial organizations, including the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the OECD, and the European Commission, as well as for the U.S. Federal Reserve and even the government of the United Kingdom. A recognized global expert on fiscal policy, business cycles, and the economics of European integration, Fatás has published pieces in the Journal of Economic Growth, Credit and Banking, the Quarterly Journal of Economics, the Journal of Money, the Journal of Public Economics, and the European Economic Review, among other outlets, and has been featured regularly on CNBC and BBC World News as well as in the Financial Times, Forbes, the Huffington Post, The New York Times, and The Economist.

One student we interviewed who had taken Fatás’s macroeconomics class observed, “It was an incredible learning experience, and I enjoyed the course a lot. It’s one of those courses where you say, okay, the fee is worth this course, because I got so much from it that I feel very well rewarded.” And another student with whom we spoke described class with Fatás as “actually amazing.”

For more information about INSEAD and 16 other top-ranked business schools, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA Programs Offering GMAT/GRE Test Waivers, Spring 2024 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Programs Offering GMAT/GRE Test Waivers, Spring 2024
If you are planning to apply to business school early next year, with MBA application[url=https://www.mbamission.com/resources/deadlines/] [b]deadlines[/b][/url] ranging from January to approximately May 2024, you might be wondering which programs currently offer “test waivers.” And is this an option you should consider? Read on for more information about GMAT/GRE test waiver opportunities for full-time MBA programs.

Which top full-time MBA programs currently offer GMAT/GRE test waivers?
Standardized test waiver offerings are fluid, so the best way to stay up-to-date on current policies and requirements of the MBA programs you are considering is to regularly check their websites and applications. However, as a starting point for candidates interested in this option, we have collected the latest indicated test policies for the top 25 U.S. full-time MBA programs [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c8iIp2e-23bw7MRmRf_WeWd6kekkaSEvsEi__YkX9q0/edit#gid=0]here[/url]. As of the writing of this post, 15 of the top 25 business schools are offering test waivers for the 2023–2024 season, including [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mit-sloan-school-of-management-insider-s-guide]MIT Sloan[/url], [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/nyu-s-leonard-n-stern-school-of-business-insider-s-guide]NYU Stern[/url], [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/university-of-michigan-ross-school-of-business-insider-s-guide]Michigan Ross[/url], [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/uva-darden-school-of-business-administration-insider-s-guide]UVA Darden[/url], and [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/dartmouth-tuck-school-of-business-insider-s-guide]Dartmouth Tuck[/url].

What types of GMAT/GRE test waivers are available?
Many MBA programs, including[url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/uva-darden-school-of-business-administration-insider-s-guide] [b]UVA Darden[/b][/url],[url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/samuel-curtis-johnson-graduate-school-of-management] [b]Cornell Johnson[/b][/url],[url=https://www.mbamission.com/blog/how-to-get-into-marshall-school-of-business-usc-marshall-essay-tips-and-examples/] [b]USC Marshall[/b][/url], and[url=https://www.mbamission.com/blog/how-to-get-into-kenan-flagler-business-school-unc-kenan-flagler-essay-tips-and-examples/] [b]UNC Kenan-Flagler[/b][/url], are offering optional GMAT/GRE test waivers to candidates who feel they can sufficiently demonstrate their quantitative and analytical abilities through alternative evidence, which could include academic study, qualifications (such as the CFA charter), recent additional coursework, and/or professional examples. Some schools, such as[url=https://www.mbamission.com/blog/how-to-get-into-mccombs-school-of-business-texas-mccombs-essay-tips-and-examples/] [b]UT McCombs[/b][/url], have a minimum work experience requirement for consideration for the waiver (three years in the case of UT).

In past MBA application seasons, many programs required pandemic-related reasons for requesting a test waiver. However, as of the writing of this post, only MIT Sloan continues to base an applicant’s need for a GMAT/GRE test waiver on their “situation prevent[ing them] from taking an exam.” All other top programs that offer waivers indicate that the decision to grant one is based solely on the applicant’s profile and evidence of academic ability and readiness.

Be sure to read each school’s instructions thoroughly and carefully, because guidelines and requirements vary across programs and applications. You could be eligible for a waiver at one school but not at another.

Who is eligible for a GMAT/GRE test waiver?
Typically, to be eligible for a GMAT/GRE test waiver, you need to show extensive evidence of academic achievement and readiness as proof of your ability to succeed in business school. The specific requirements can vary by MBA program, but generally, schools seek candidates with strong undergraduate grades (especially in quantitative and analytical subjects), certifications such as the CFA charter or CPA, a graduate degree in a quantitative area, and/or experience using quantitative and analytical skills regularly in their professional role.

If you meet a school’s eligibility requirements and/or are struggling to take or sufficiently demonstrate your abilities via the exam, you might want to consider pursuing a test waiver. For programs that are offering waivers to applicants who can provide alternative evidence of their abilities, if you feel confident in your evidence—and you either cannot take the test or score below the school’s average—the option to request a waiver is worth exploring.

Who should not consider applying for a test waiver?
If you have achieved a test score that is higher than your target MBA program’s average for the exam in question—or if you anticipate earning such a score—you would not be an ideal candidate for a waiver. Scoring above a program’s average would be a strength of your candidacy, so you should submit those strong results.

On the other hand, if you have a weak academic record, including a lack of quantitative coursework and/or poor grades either in quantitative subjects or across the board, applying for a test waiver would not be a positive strategic move. Most likely, your waiver request would not be approved, and more importantly, you need to show the admissions committee that you can handle the MBA program’s challenging academic requirements. You should therefore aim to take an exam, whether the GMAT, GRE, or Executive Assessment (if your program accepts it), and do your best to achieve the strongest test score possible for you, to offset your poor academic record.

When should applicants apply for GMAT/GRE test waivers?
Some business schools request that you apply for a waiver before you submit your MBA application, and if your waiver is not granted, you will need to take the exam before finalizing your application. Other programs include the waiver request within the application, which means you can submit your application in full before determining whether you still need to take the test. As always, read each school’s instructions fully, and do your research well in advance, because some waiver requests must be submitted weeks ahead of the application deadline.

Will submitting a waiver request hurt an applicant’s chances of acceptance?
No. Every MBA program that offers GMAT/GRE test waivers is very clear in stating that applying for one will not have any negative impact on an applicant’s admissions chances. And being granted a waiver likewise does not affect one’s chances of acceptance. Schools make their admissions decisions holistically, taking into account all aspects of a candidate’s profile and application.

What else should an applicant consider when deciding whether to apply for a test waiver?
Consider your ability to take an exam before your target MBA program’s deadline, as well as what alternative evidence you might be able to provide that would sufficiently demonstrate your quantitative and analytical skills. In addition, if you have taken an exam in the past but were not happy with the result, think about whether a different exam might better showcase your abilities. For example, you could take the GRE if you have already taken the GMAT, or perhaps the Executive Assessment, if your chosen program accepts it.

Finally, keep in mind that some top MBA programs—including UW Foster, Texas McCombs, UVA Darden, and Carnegie Mellon Tepper—state that a strong test score will increase your chances of success in pursuing scholarship and fellowship opportunities. So the waiver option would not give you the best possible chance of financial rewards at those programs. Other schools, such as USC Marshall, indicate that waivers do not influence an applicant’s scholarship chances.

Ultimately, to make the best decision for your personal situation, you must determine whether you feel your exam score would (or does) appropriately showcase your abilities and demonstrate your potential to excel in an MBA program. If not, you should consider whether a GMAT/GRE test waiver might be a fitting option, given the policies of the programs that interest you.

Without a doubt, applying to business school demands a substantial commitment and can potentially feel overwhelming. [url=https://www.mbamission.com/who-we-are/team/][b]mbaMission consultants[/b][/url] are experts at navigating the process and can help you improve your odds of a successful outcome. Sign up for a [url=https://www.mbamission.com/consult/mba-admissions/][b]free 30-minute consultation[/b][/url] to learn more about our services and to discuss your specific applicant profile. Check out [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfe829JJ0RM][b]this video[/b][/url] to learn more about what you can expect during your free consultation. We look forward to meeting you!
Send PM
International Opportunities at Wharton and Dartmouth Tuck [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: International Opportunities at Wharton and Dartmouth Tuck
To think that the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania excels only in churning out investment bankers and management consultants would be a mistake. In fact, Wharton boasts a truly international program that was ranked #6 in this area in the 2023–2024 U.S. News & World Report MBA specialty rankings.

International students constitute 31% of the school’s Class of 2025 and represent 70 countries, and 4.8% of the school’s 2022 graduates took jobs outside the United States. Students who wish to study international business at Wharton have no shortage of options for doing so, including the following:

• Numerous students study at a partner school each year. One popular option is to leverage Wharton’s alliance with INSEAD by taking classes at one of that program’s campuses in Singapore or Fontainebleau, France. Alternatively, students can choose a semester-long international exchange at one of 19 partner schools in 17 different countries.
  • Students who wish to pursue a dual degree in business and international studies can combine a Wharton MBA with an MA in International Studies from the Lauder Institute, a 24-month intensive program designed for those who seek to conduct high-level business in a country other than the United States. This program has been described by Bloomberg Businessweek as “arguably the single best global management experience anywhere.”
In contrast to Wharton, whose urban location in Philadelphia might seem ripe with international opportunities, the Tuck School of Business Administration at Dartmouth is located in the quaint town of Hanover, New Hampshire, which has a population of approximately 11,500 and is therefore considered a small college town. However, “Tuckies,” as the school’s students are known, have no shortage of access to global learning opportunities.

Tuckies gain hands-on international experience through the required TuckGO program, which gives second-year students the chance to put their education into practice worldwide. TuckGO options include the experiential Global Insight Expeditions, which allow students to explore new countries while meeting with local community leaders and professionals; term exchanges that take place on four continents; and Field Study in Business, where students work with real companies during an immersive summer experience.

For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Wharton, Dartmouth Tuck, or one of 16 other top business schools, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Full-Time MBA Programs at Rotman School of Management and Simon Busine [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Full-Time MBA Programs at Rotman School of Management and Simon Business School
The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management was ranked first among Canadian MBA programs by the Financial Times in 2023. In addition to its finance-related strengths, Rotman offers a rather unique approach to core business pedagogy. Relying on what it terms “integrative thinking,” Rotman’s teaching model challenges the compartmentalization of traditional functional areas. Students complete a series of core courses in their first year that emphasize generalized business skills and the ability to think across functional disciplines. The Rotman Self-Developmental Lab, which offers feedback on the students’ communication style and behavioral performance via group workshops and personalized sessions with psychologists and management consultants, is also part of the first year of studies. The program, according to the school’s site, is “aimed at developing and nurturing in all students the communicative, interactive and interpersonal skills essential to the high-value added collaborative problem solver and decision maker in contemporary organizations.”

In their second year, Rotman MBA students are given the option to choose from 16 different major areas, including Global Management, Social Impact and Sustainability, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Funds Management, while supplementing their focus with a broader array of more than 90 elective courses.

Meanwhile, only 170 miles away but across the border, the full-time MBA program at the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester offers a broadly finance-oriented general management curriculum featuring particular strengths in analytics and accounting. Simon’s program is built on a foundation of 12 core courses, including “Managerial Economics,” “Capital Budgeting and Corporate Objectives,” and “Marketing Management.” Students complete their core with an assigned study team before exploring more specialized professional interests.

The school’s elective courses represent a variety of industries and functions, such as entrepreneurship, consulting, and real estate. Students may choose from ten career specializations, which are divided into three tracks: Finance, which includes such topics as Banking, Corporate Finance, and Asset Management; Consulting, which includes Pricing, Strategy, Technology, and Operations; and Marketing, which includes Product Management and Brand Management. Students also have ten available minors, which are divided into cross-functional and functional and include Analytics, Global Business, and Leadership. In addition, the Simon MBA EDGE Program provides students with opportunities for personal development in such areas as problem solving, communication, and leadership through involvement in activities including clubs, advisory boards, and other groups on campus, as well as case competitions and projects with area companies. The program, which the school’s website says was developed to give students the skills that “provide a process for self‐leadership that can prepare [them] for a lifetime of opportunities,” aims to complement knowledge learned in the classroom and increase students’ value to potential employers.

Simon’s Ain Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation and its Center for Pricing offer curricular and research support to supplement the specific career concentrations. Simon is also home to more than 20 professional and social student-run organizations aimed at coordinating networking events and professional development resources to assist students in advancing their careers.
Send PM
Finding Suitable Recommendation Writers and Ensuring Their Punctuality [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Finding Suitable Recommendation Writers and Ensuring Their Punctuality
Letters of recommendation are an important part of your overall application package—they provide the only outside information the admissions committee receives about you. One of the most stressful parts of the application process can be picking your recommender. The first question you should ask is who can write a valuable letter on my behalf?

Like many candidates, you may believe that your recommenders must have remarkable credentials and titles to impress the admissions committee. However, what is far more important is selecting individuals who can write a personal and knowledgeable letter that discusses your talents, accomplishments, personality, and potential. If senior managers at your company can only describe your work in vague and general terms, they will not help your cause. Lower-level managers who directly supervise your work, on the other hand, can often offer powerful examples of the impact you have had on your company. As a result, their letters can be far more effective.

Nonetheless, not everyone who knows you and your capabilities well will make a good recommender. For starters, you should of course feel confident that your potential recommender likes you and will write a positive letter on your behalf. As you contemplate your choices, try to gather some intelligence on your potential recommenders. Have they written letters for anyone else? Are they generous with their time with regard to employee feedback and review sessions? Will they devote the effort and time necessary to write a letter that will really shine?

If your prospective MBA program asks for two letters of recommendation, you should generally approach two of your recent supervisors, with one ideally being your current supervisor. Your letters will have added credibility if they are written by individuals who are senior to you, because your recommenders are in evaluative positions and will not have anything to lose by critically appraising your candidacy.

As application deadlines approach, many candidates find themselves immersed in stress—busy juggling multiple essays and revising their resume. Often in the midst of all this, an alarming question suddenly springs to mind: What if my recommenders do not get their letters done by the deadline?

In our opinion, the easiest way to ensure that your recommenders complete their letters on time is to present them with your own deadline—one that is a bit earlier than the school’s—when you first ask them to provide a recommendation for you. If the application to your school of choice is due on January 15, for example, tell your recommenders that you are submitting on January 8. Incidentally, submitting your application early can be good for your sanity as well. By setting this advanced deadline, you can put some additional pressure on your recommenders on the 8th if they have not yet finished the letters, so you should still be able to submit by the school’s official deadline.

Most people work to deadlines. Alleviate unnecessary stress by setting your recommenders’ deadlines one week early, and “enjoy” the application process a little bit more.

Send PM
Harvard Business School 2+2 Deferred MBA Program Essay Analysis 2024 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Harvard Business School 2+2 Deferred MBA Program Essay Analysis 2024
The majority of classes at Harvard Business School (HBS) are based on the case method, which depends entirely on students’ contributions. (If you are unfamiliar with what the case method is, [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvEghtW0r4]this video[/url] will help you quickly get up to speed!) In Part 1 of its essay questions for the 2+2 program, the Personal Essays, HBS challenges you to reveal the unique experiences, perspectives, and circumstances that have shaped your world view and will enable you to contribute to the program. You are given three options, from which you must choose and respond to two. You then have a very tight 600 words (300 per essay) in which to reveal distinct and compelling elements of your background. Then, for Part 2, the Career Essay, the admissions committee wants you look forward. You are asked to share your professional ambitions and discuss what the future holds—laying out a plan for your pre-MBA period and relating it to your post-MBA period—in another 300 words. So, in 900 words total, your goal is to discuss your past as a prologue to your desired future. You will need to be thoughtful about every word to ensure that you are both thorough and affecting.

Part 1: Personal Essays (choose two – up to 300 words per prompt)
The HBS classroom and community thrive when we bring together people who can share a variety of perspectives. To get to know you better and how you will engage at HBS, please choose two of the three prompts below to tell us more about yourself:

[list]
How have your experiences shaped who you are, how you lead, and how you will contribute at HBS?[/*]
[/list]
[list]
What intellectual experiences have influenced your approach to learning and have led you to pursue an MBA?[/*]
[/list]
[list]
What communities have you been engaged with that have defined how you invest in others?[/*]
[/list]
 You are given the opportunity here to choose two of the three prompts to write on, and we can assure you that the admissions committee has no preference for which two you choose. None are technically the “right” or “wrong” prompts in the school’s eyes. What matters is that you select the questions that will allow you to share your strongest stories. Start by brainstorming thoroughly; create a complete inventory of your professional, academic, personal, extracurricular, and community experiences, and then identify the ones that fit best with each question. And you absolutely must write honestly about your life. You will not earn points with the admissions committee by pandering or writing what you think they want to hear. For example, we strongly suggest not submitting a piece on “engaging diversity” if that is not true to who you actually are. It will not help you at all! Let us break down each prompt individually.

[list]
How have your experiences shaped who you are, how you lead, and how you will contribute at HBS?[/*]
[/list]
 Ask yourself what experiences—both positive and negative—have truly catalyzed your development and defined your life. If you can draw a clear cause and effect between the inflection points or circumstances of your emotional and personal development and where you are today, then this prompt could be a good option for you. Again, those experiences or circumstances can be either positive or negative—your story does not need to be all roses—but take care not to dwell on the past. Instead, you want to show how your past informs who you are today, what kind of leader you are, and how you will contribute at HBS. With respect to that last element, you cannot simply say, “And I will bring this experience to class each day!” You need to get specific about the spirit of your contribution and about where it will be felt. In a class? In a particular club? In FIELD? All of the above? Wherever you believe you could be additive and beneficial to the HBS experience, you need to show the admissions committee that you understand the journey you are aspiring to embark on and the community you hope to join.

[list]
What intellectual experiences have influenced your approach to learning and have led you to pursue an MBA?[/*]
[/list]
Delving into one’s “intellectual experiences” is likely more challenging than exploring one’s general experiences. How do you discuss how you have expanded your thoughts? Well, to start, we should take a broader look at the word intellectual. You can, of course, experience intellectual growth by reading a philosophy textbook, for example, but you can also do so by engaging in conversation with others. This could be as simple as regularly sitting at a shared table at a local café and conversing with fellow community members, or as advanced as interviewing people on specific topics for the podcast you launched. Where you experienced growth is not really what matters, though contextualizing your discussion could be additive. What is important is how you experienced that growth and how it has subsequently affected you. Of course, you must connect your perspective to your desire for an MBA, and you would be wise to explain how earning your MBA will continue to foster your intellectual development!

[list]
What communities have you been engaged with that have defined how you invest in others?[/*]
[/list]
This essay prompt is ideal if you are someone who represents or promotes diversity. It offers you the opportunity to share that aspect of your identity, but only if you have made an impact. For this essay, you cannot simply say, “I am Hispanic,” for example. You must instead say, “My Hispanic identity has led me to [do XYZ].” We are not suggesting you write these exact words, of course, but we want to ensure that you are coming at this prompt the right way. Ideally, you would start this essay by establishing your identity and then continue by offering examples of truly impactful work you have done in support of others. You want to offer the reader clear instances of cause and effect that make sense and support your claims. And, to build on our example of diverse representation, maybe you have been profoundly involved in student government and used your position to improve others’ experience on campus. Or you might have helped grow your school’s debate society and then led a team to intensify its commitment, upskill, and ultimately win a competition. Whatever the community you engaged in, remember to focus on demonstrating cause and effect!

Part 2: Career Essay (up to 300 words)
How do the career plans you shared in the Career Plans section of the application fit into your current long-term career vision? What skills and/or professional experiences do you hope to obtain in the deferral period that will help build the foundation for your post-MBA career?

This is a question that, in our humble opinion, has been missing from the HBS 2+2 application since the inception of the program. Most early-career applicants feel that they need to explain their purpose—give the admissions committee a sense of where they are going—because this aspect of their profile is not terribly clear when they are still in college or completing a master’s degree. Although HBS gives you 400 characters within the application to present your post-MBA career goals, that only equates to roughly 60 words. So having 300 in which to offer more context and detail is a welcome relief!

This question is about as straightforward as they come. You should start by briefly contextualizing your short-term career goals, basically explaining why they are a fit for you. Then, you can choose one of two approaches. You might immediately connect your short- and long-term goals—and we emphasize connect, because the latter must flow naturally from the former—and then explain how you intend to develop your skills so you are prepared for that path. Or you could start by contextualizing your goals and then discuss your career development expectations, which would lead into a discussion of your long-term goals—which, again, need to represent the natural extension of your professional growth.

A word of caution: be thoughtful about your discussion of your professional experiences. Avoid your industry’s generalities and cliches, and instead, show the admissions committee that you truly understand how you will develop. Compare the following two statements:

“I am excited to join my consulting firm full-time, because it will expose me to a breadth of global clients and enable me to solve problems with business leaders…”

“I am excited to rejoin the Boston office after graduation, because the managing directors, who are in the office five days a week, take an active role in helping Analysts develop. I view the coming three years as an apprenticeship, where I will learn from others through observation and practice. In particular…”

The first statement simply repeats basic industry cliches, but the second reveals an individual who fully grasps the value of the experience and feels a sense of purpose in reentering the field. Of course, this are just examples, but remember, you have to make this essay yours. It needs to be tailored to your desired experiences and developmental needs. Your goal is for the admissions officer to read your submission and think, “Now, that is a plan!” If you feel you are not yet able to formulate a clear path for yourself, we suggest conducting informational interviews with people in your chosen field to ensure that you will be able to write with the proper level of sincerity and authenticity. The admissions committee is aware that you might change your mind about your career path over time, but for now, you need to show conviction!

If you have any questions about how to best position your candidacy or approach these challenging prompts, we encourage you take advantage of a [url=https://www.mbamission.com/consult/mba-admissions/][b]free, 30-minute consultation[/b][/url] to discuss your options with one of our experts.
Send PM
Is an MBA Worth the Investment in 2024? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Is an MBA Worth the Investment in 2024?
So, you are considering applying to an MBA program this year but wonder whether the time, money, energy, and everything else involved in the endeavor is truly worthwhile. The easy answer is yes—go for it. Chances are high that after you earn your MBA, you will make more money, possess a better knowledge base that will propel your career forward, and have connections that will position you for success. But an MBA is not for everyone, and it is definitely not for anyone who is unsure about what is driving them to pursue the degree. Before you head down this road, think about why you want an MBA and where you want it to take you.

To jump ahead in this article, click on the topic that is of interest to you:

What is the salary and job outlook for an MBA?

If you are thinking about pursuing an MBA, then chances are, you are weighing the degree’s return on investment (ROI). You are certainly not alone. In fact, the Bloomberg Businessweek survey that informs the publication’s business school rankings revealed that in 2022, 71% of the second-year student respondents at U.S. programs indicated that increased compensation was one of the five primary factors behind their decision to earn an MBA. Well, the news is good on that front. That same survey found that in 2023, graduates gained a median of $85,000 in their first post-MBA role, over what they had been earning before they entered business school. Getting an MBA also propels your salary higher than if you had merely a bachelor’s degree. A 2021 studyconducted by data analytics company PayScale for Poets&Quants found that graduates of the leading 50 U.S. business schools are expected to earn a median total of $5.7 million in cash compensation after 35 years of post-graduate work—and this is exclusively in terms of salary, excluding bonuses, stock options, health care benefits, and other forms of remuneration. That amount represents a premium of $2.3 million over what individuals who have only an undergraduate degree will earn. Graduates of the MBA programs at Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Dartmouth, and the University of Virginia vault to the top with more than $8 million in earnings over that 35-year period, according to the study. Those kinds of numbers certainly make an MBA degree sound worthwhile!

Which programs offer the best return on investment?

Prospective applicants considering the possible ROI of an MBA can calculate what they might expect via simple back-of-the-envelope math: adding the average salary of a school’s graduating students to the average signing bonus, and then dividing that total by the average student debt of those who borrowed. In 2023, to compare the ROIs of top MBA programs, U.S. News & World Report ranked 28 business schools at which graduates of the full-time MBA program average six-figure salaries within three months of graduation—and the findings might surprise you. What are generally considered the most competitive U.S. MBA programs did not even crack the top 25! Harvard landed at number 27 (no, that is not a typo!), while the number-one ranked program was the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College—which is 49th in the U.S. News overall business school rankings. It tops the ROI list because its students reported an average salary and signing bonus total of $129,050 within three months of graduating, while the average debt was just $17,689. That equates to a salary-to-debt ratio of 7.3-to-1. Now compare that with the ROI at Harvard, where the average salary and signing bonus within three months of graduating is $198,180, but the average debt is $88,757. That puts the salary-to-debt ratio at 2.2-to-1.

For information on full-time versus part-time versus executive MBA programs, click here

Other than improved earnings, what do you gain from an MBA?

In addition to boosting your income, an MBA can fuel your career trajectory. Learning to work well in teams, solve complex problems, and strategically make decisions can translate into being an effective contributor—and hopefully, leader—in the workplace. Not only do you build technical skills over the course of your MBA studies, but you also gain soft skills in management and leadership that can help you navigate complicated challenges when dealing with people and projects. The professional development your MBA experience will provide will last throughout your entire career, well beyond your initial post-graduate role.

How can an MBA build your network?

An expanded network is another benefit of attending business school. You will meet fellow students in your classes, of course, but also via group work, volunteering, extracurriculars, study trips, and socializing. Given how global most MBA programs are these days—many have classes that are nearly 50% international—students are able to connect with classmates who come from all over the world, thereby expanding their global mind-set. In addition, business schools have vast alumni networks, and students can call upon these connections as needed throughout their career. Long after graduation, you might be invited to interview at a company, and a quick search of your school’s alumni database will give you the names of fellow graduates who work there. Bingo—you have contacts who can help you!

Where you can find the best MBA networking opportunities might surprise you. According to Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2023 MBA rankings, the University of Florida’s Warrington School of Business ranks number one for networking, based on the survey’s index that gauges the quality of networks cultivated by classmates, students’ interactions with alumni, the effectiveness of the career services office, the quality and breadth of alumni-to-alumni interactions, and the school’s brand power, according to recruiters. Rounding out the survey’s top five schools for networking are Georgia Tech, the Michigan Ross School of Business, the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, and—tied for fifth—Harvard Business School and the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

mbaMission Career Coach Elissa Harris offers her tips on overcoming networking nerves in this article

How do career goals factor into your MBA plans?

While salary and job outlook, ROI, skill development, and network building certainly play into why someone would want an MBA, they are not the only factors one should consider. Before you apply to business school, really examine your career goals. The last thing you want to do is apply to a program that will not propel you to where you want to be professionally after you graduate. Although MBAs can generally be found working in every field, you should dedicate time to researching whether the degree will provide what you need to be able to achieve your long-term career aspirations. For example, does the MBA program you are considering have courses that relate to your area of interest? What is the typical level of job placement in the industry you want to target? An MBA will not be worth the investment if you end up scrambling for work at graduation. 

For information on setting reasonable career goals, read this article by mbaMission Career Coach Elissa Harris.

What is the financial investment of an MBA?

Another important factor you need to weigh is your finances. Although that median $85,000 gain in salary noted at the beginning of this post probably sounds pretty good, not every industry or school will set you up for that kind of financial boost. You need to be real about your risk tolerance. Are you in a position to take two years off of work to complete a full-time program? If not, maybe a part-time or Executive MBA program would serve you better by allowing you to keep working. On the personal front, asking yourself whether now is the right time to go back to school is crucial. This question extends beyond just the financial aspect of pursuing the degree; ask yourself whether you have the time to dedicate to it as well.

As you are considering whether an MBA would be worth the time and other resources that earning it requires, do not be blinded by the potential gain in compensation. Think about what else the degree could change for you in the long term. If you feel that it would advance your career in terms of greater leadership opportunities, then you very well might be making the right choice about applying to business school.

If you have questions about MBA application strategies or about which schools you would be competitive at, sign up for a free 30-minute consultation with an mbaMission consultant.
Send PM
Nine Tips for Writing a Great HBS Post-Interview Reflection [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Nine Tips for Writing a Great HBS Post-Interview Reflection
You walk out of your Harvard Business School (HBS) interview, and you are either floating on cloud nine, feeling amazing, or your mind is racing with “could’ve, should’ve, would’ve.” You wish you could run back to the interviewer to clarify your answers or add details. With the HBS Post-Interview Reflection, you can! Not literally, of course, but you nonetheless have the opportunity to follow up on anything you think was left incomplete, unclear, or unsaid.

The HBS Post-Interview Reflection, a 300- to 450-word submission that is due within 24 hours of completing your interview, is a chance for you to make your final case to the admissions committee.

Here are nine tips for achieving an insightful reflection that could help get you accepted at HBS.

[b]1. Pay attention to the guidance given by HBS.[/b]
One message that stands out in the guidance HBS provides is that the essay is not intended to be a formal one. The admissions committee advises that you think of the submission as though you are writing a reflection after a meeting. To me, this guidance suggests that your writing style can be more casual than you would use in a typical “professional” write-up and therefore less rigid. Imagine you are composing an email to a colleague. In fact, I always like to read the reflection essay aloud to ensure that it is clear and sounds like a letter addressed to an actual person. For example, dispense with long sentences, and avoid using a lot of multisyllabic words. Ultimately, ask yourself, Does this read like how I talk?

[b]2. Jot down your thoughts immediately after the interview.[/b]
Right after your interview, go someplace quiet where you can think about the meeting and discussion you just had. Write down your thoughts about the questions you were asked and how you answered them. Note the questions for which you feel your responses were incomplete or not as clear as you would have liked. Perhaps you now remember additional information you could have provided.

Importantly, also note the questions to which you gave great answers. Were you organized and articulate in your response? Remember, this reflection is not simply a self-critique. It should ideally be balanced.

[b]3. Take a breather to decompress.[/b]
I always recommend taking a short break after you jot down your initial round of notes. Whether you grab a bite, take a walk, or go to the gym, having a change of scenery and focus is important in two ways. Firstly, it helps your mind relax. With this comes clearer thinking, which is needed for good writing. Secondly, inspiration seldom comes from staring at a computer screen. A shift in your environment can spur different memories of and perspectives on your interview. If you can, carry a notebook with you so you can record any new thoughts that come to you during this time.

[b]4. Come back recharged and focused—then start writing.[/b]
When you return from your breather—hopefully reenergized—it is time to start writing! Review your notes and organize them. Develop a structure for your reflection, and choose the main points you want to focus on in your essay. What message do you want to deliver to the admissions committee? Because of the brevity of the reflection essay, you will not be able to (nor should you) touch on every single question in the interview. However, key points you might want to include are as follows (in no particular order):

[list]
A brief thank you[/*]
[/list]
[list]
Anything you were thrilled to discuss (this could include what you think went well)[/*]
[/list]
[list]
Anything you missed or want to clarify or add to[/*]
[/list]
[list]
Why you are excited about HBS (or how you could contribute to the class)[/*]
[/list]
[b]5. Share your thoughts and feelings; do not just summarize what happened.[/b]
One common mistake I see in reflections is summarizing too much what happened in the interview. Do not simply recount the meeting “blow-by-blow”; this is not a journal entry. Your reflection will be much more interesting if you share your inner thoughts and perspectives. For example, were you surprised by any question or line of discussion? Do not be afraid to be candid—this will help your reflection come across as more authentic and personal.

[b]6. Think about what new insight or perspectives you can add.[/b]
The reflection is a unique opportunity for you to offer the HBS admissions committee further insights or perspectives. For example, what else can you add on a topic that was discussed during the interview? Perhaps you could provide additional background or context to a project that would be new information for the school. If you have other examples that are relevant to an interview question, you could also share them in your reflection. These examples do not need to be completely “new” to HBS. For instance, if you have a meaningful project listed on your resume but did not describe it in detail in your application essay, writing about it in your reflection might be appropriate.

[b]7. Be thoughtful in addressing “why HBS.”[/b]
A very common question we get from clients is how much they should include in their Post-Interview Reflection about why they want to attend HBS. The question of “why HBS” might not even have come up in your interview at all. That is not unusual for HBS interviews. This is also reflected in the HBS application, which includes no specific “why HBS” prompt.

Yet you might decide that you really want to share with the admissions committee the reasons you consider HBS your top choice. If so, addressing this topic in your Post-Interview Reflection is perfectly fine. However, you need to be thoughtful about how much space you allocate to the topic, and ask yourself how much of the information will be new to HBS and additive to your candidacy. I find that a simple reference to what makes you excited about attending the program can be a good way to wrap up your reflection. Or you could mention what you are looking forward to contributing to the HBS classroom.

All that said, not mentioning “why HBS” at all in your Post-Interview Reflection is also perfectly acceptable. Remember, this essay is your chance to highlight some of your thoughts for the admissions committee. If you feel that “why HBS” is less important than the other ideas you want to share, prioritize accordingly.

[b]8. Do not overpolish your essay.[/b]
As tempted as you might be to keep refining your reflection as much as you can in the time allotted, be careful of overpolishing it. I find that applicants’ early drafts will often contain a lot of genuine feelings and thoughts, which is precisely what HBS wants to see in the reflection—so you do not want to edit your essay to such a degree that this high level of candor and authenticity is lost. This is why the school gives you just 24 hours in which to respond. Which brings me to my final tip…

[b]9. Take another break before your final review.[/b]
Although you have only a short amount of time in which to write and submit your reflection, if you can take another brief break before giving it one final review, I highly encourage you to do so. Ideally, come back to your essay with fresh eyes, and read the final draft out loud before submitting it to ensure that it embodies the style, voice, and message(s) you want to convey to the admissions committee.

I hope these tips can help you draft a strong HBS Post-Interview Reflection. If you would like even more targeted guidance on the HBS interview and on writing this unique essay, check out our [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services/products/hbs-mock-interview-and-post-interview-reflection-support][b]HBS Mock Interview and Post-Reflection Support[/b][/url] services.
   1  ...  173   174   175   176   177   178   179   
Moderator:
1452 posts