It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 210

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 05:44
gmat1220 wrote:
I have highlighted your query - that structure is valid.
subject = executives
verb = examine, decide
and = conjunction

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

If you loose the non essentials in a sentence the meaning will not change. So I strike what is non essential i.e. between the commas. Now the meaning is executives examine and decide.
examine || decide. Hope that helps !

Pardon me for using bright colors :)
abmyers wrote:
I also have a question on this form. My understanding is that if you use the "and," form, the clause after the "and," must have a verb and subject. OA D seems to violate. Can anyone shed some light on this apparent contradiction?

Thanks for the explanation. Pleasure if you can shed some light on the below queries.
1) 'using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses' - is these part working as a 'modifier' or 'items of the list'?
2) shouldn't the 'And' conjunction placed after comma and just before demand?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 210

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 16:58
Split1) Parallelism. "executives examine …and decide" is the correct way. A, B, C and E are out.

Split2) "using" vs "in using" prefer "using" for the participial phrase. A, C and E are out.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 11:49
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

Issues: Parallelism | Verb form

Analysis:
1. The core of the sentence: ".. model ... suggests that executives examine.. and decide ... "
- to maintain parallelism, we need to make sure that the entities separated by "and" are parallel i.e. clauses with same verb form (in this case).

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "in using..." - NOT parallel
- also, "can decide..." is not properly connected to any of the clauses - fragment issue

B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "they use..." - NOT parallel

C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
- "in using..." is fragment that does not properly modify the clause following it.
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "deciding......" - NOT parallel

D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide
- this option tries to draw parallel between "examine... " and "they decide......" - NOT parallel[/color]

NOTE: I referenced OG and it does not focus on parallelism at all. It points out the redundant use of "they" to refer executives (in the same sentence) as being wordy. Based on this criteria (A), (B) and (E) can be eliminated. (C) can be eliminated because the structure in the sentence leaves second clause without a subject.

Answer: D.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 06:09
Just checking if we have anything to check for position of "And" . Before comma or after comma?
While answering this question I had in my mind that and should come after comma .

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 977 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 00:17
gmat4varun wrote:
Just checking if we have anything to check for position of "And" . Before comma or after comma?
While answering this question I had in my mind that and should come after comma .

Yes, comma before 'and' or after 'and' does matter here.

Let me explain you using option A and D.

Te rule says, if we remove the phrase between two commas, the remaining sentence must make sense.

Now, do it over A.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide --> Reread the original sentence using conditions can decide. You will find that the sentence has become a run on sentence. Hence, A is incorrect.

D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide --> Now do the same with this. You will find D does make sense here. Hence, correct answer.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 977 [0], given: 71

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 21:29
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a
firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective
criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
on a strategy.

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses,
can decide

B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in
deciding

C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses,
deciding

E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these
analyses, they decide
--> awkward.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 21:44
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Option B and Option D both seem correct.
The final answer in my opinion comes down a inconsequential oxford comma, that makes all the difference in differentiating the two clauses.
Lets analyse the two options after inserting them in the sentence:-
B) The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding on a strategy. IN THIS sentence the comma after condition is starting the new clause thus "examine" & "deciding" are not parallel.

D) The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide on a strategy. IN THIS sentence, the comma after and is used to separate two lists (list of actions in this case; Examine and using .. the entire sentence becomes a long single clause. Just because the conjunction and is used does not divide the sentence into two clauses. For example :- He eats toast, eggs and bacon, and orange juice for breakfast everyday. (List of three food items but action is one - eating)

In B, they is grammatically right but unnecessary. We can join two clauses in which they have the same subject into one sentence like in D --> more concise --> D is better than B.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 04:44
Top Contributor
4. The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
B. conditions and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide

This is a deeply meaning -based question. That the executives decide is the crux of the matter. Therefore, we need to use a verb for the decision making part namely 'decide' rather than the participial 'deciding'

Get rid of B and C instantly.
Get rid of A for saying can decide, which denotes a capability rather than an occurrence. E is wrong for using a misleading idiom 'in using' as though they decide while using, during using, whereas the intent is to use the criteria to help decide the strategy.

This is an out and out a meaning based question in which the answer is beyond the utility of grammar alone.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 22:01
mikemcgarry: Dear Mike, can you please throw in some expertise why option B is wrong. I understand that option D is correct, and it is an easy pick. But, I am not able to find a strong reason to eliminate B. I knocked it off because it uses the phrase "use X in deciding Y", which means that X plays an indirect part in the process of Y AND if you use the phrase" use X to decide y", which means that X plays a direct role to decide about Y.

2. Another problem with B is that it makes the 2 clauses independent, while the two clauses have a connection between them. (clearly evident in D)

Are these reasons correct? Can you let me know please? Thanks always

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 10:46
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry: Dear Mike, can you please throw in some expertise why option B is wrong. I understand that option D is correct, and it is an easy pick. But, I am not able to find a strong reason to eliminate B. I knocked it off because it uses the phrase "use X in deciding Y", which means that X plays an indirect part in the process of Y AND if you use the phrase" use X to decide y", which means that X plays a direct role to decide about Y.

2. Another problem with B is that it makes the 2 clauses independent, while the two clauses have a connection between them. (clearly evident in D)

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (B) is grammatically and idiomatically correct, but it is not the best answer. The phrase "use X in deciding" and "use X to decide" are virtually identical in meaning: I disagree with your analysis of that difference.

Choice (B) is not the best answer because it's rhetorically inferior. It's clunky. The two independent clauses are grammatically correct, but why have two clauses with the extra pronoun subject? Choice (D) presents a much more elegant construction.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 18:24
mikemcgarry wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (B) is grammatically and idiomatically correct, but it is not the best answer. The phrase "use X in deciding" and "use X to decide" are virtually identical in meaning: I disagree with your analysis of that difference.

Choice (B) is not the best answer because it's rhetorically inferior. It's clunky. The two independent clauses are grammatically correct, but why have two clauses with the extra pronoun subject? Choice (D) presents a much more elegant construction.

Does this make sense?

Hi mikemcgarry

Could you please explain me the modifier in choice D? conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

Why can we say with certainty that it modifies executives? In this case, the ING modifier is not showing a result of a previous clause and is not touching executives (as when we say something like: "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, executives blah blah blah").

Regards,
Cristián

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 429

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
iDisappear wrote:
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding

if we want to use "they" we need second "that

suggest
that executive examine
and
that they , using... decide.

or to ommit "that " , we use the pattern like in D

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 429

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9453 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CristianJuarez wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry

Could you please explain me the modifier in choice D? conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

Why can we say with certainty that it modifies executives? In this case, the ING modifier is not showing a result of a previous clause and is not touching executives (as when we say something like: "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, executives blah blah blah").

Regards,
Cristián

Hello Cristián CristianJuarez,

I will be glad to help you out with this this one. :-)

The modifier using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses actually modifies the action decide that appears after this modifier.

How do the executives decide on a strategy? They do so by using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses.

The modifier using the set... also makes sense with the doer of the modified action decide - executives.

The context and the structure of the sentence are such that the meaning conveyed by Choice D is clear.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9453 [1], given: 348

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9004 [1], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CristianJuarez wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Regards,
Cristián

Dear CristianJuarez,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I see that Shraddha already responded. I will add a few more thoughts.

First of all, it's good to learn the proper names. What you are calling an "ING modifier" is called a participle. Precision in language supports precision in thought.

Participles are unique in that they can function either as a noun modifier or as a verb/clause modifier. Only noun-modifiers obey the Touch Rule: with a few well-defined exceptions, noun modifiers must "touch" the noun they modifier. The Touch Rule governs noun modifiers only: it is entirely irrelevant to verb modifiers. Verb modifiers are much more free in their placement, as long as there's no ambiguity.

Noun modifier are adjectival phrases & clauses, answering "adjective questions": which one? what kind?

Verb modifiers are adverbial phrases and clauses, answering "adverb questions": when? where? how? in what way?

In this sentence, the participial phrase "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses" answers a "how?" question, so it's an adverbial phrase, a verb modifier.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [1], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 14:09
Thank you both Shraddha and Mike! It is very clear.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 21:48
"and in using" is not parallel to non-underlined portion, and "they" could refer to execs or the firm

Deciding (simple gerund) is not parallel to the action noun derive
same issue as B
concicse and par
pronouns are ambiguous and "they decide" is not parallel to 'examine' - eliminate

Feel free to comment on my logic applied to this

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 21:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap