GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 14:12
CristianJuarez wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Could you please explain me the modifier in choice D? conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

Why can we say with certainty that it modifies executives? In this case, the ING modifier is not showing a result of a previous clause and is not touching executives (as when we say something like: "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, executives blah blah blah").

Regards,
Cristián

Dear CristianJuarez,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I see that Shraddha already responded. I will add a few more thoughts.

First of all, it's good to learn the proper names. What you are calling an "ING modifier" is called a participle. Precision in language supports precision in thought.

Participles are unique in that they can function either as a noun modifier or as a verb/clause modifier. Only noun-modifiers obey the Touch Rule: with a few well-defined exceptions, noun modifiers must "touch" the noun they modifier. The Touch Rule governs noun modifiers only: it is entirely irrelevant to verb modifiers. Verb modifiers are much more free in their placement, as long as there's no ambiguity.

Noun modifier are adjectival phrases & clauses, answering "adjective questions": which one? what kind?

Verb modifiers are adverbial phrases and clauses, answering "adverb questions": when? where? how? in what way?

In this sentence, the participial phrase "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses" answers a "how?" question, so it's an adverbial phrase, a verb modifier.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 08:49
daagh wrote:
One essential feature of parallelism is that in compound sentences, which use connecters such as and, or, but etc, if the subject of the first part is also the subject of the second part, then we can omit the subject in the second part. (Executives in this case)

e.g.: Tom went to London and he stayed for one month. Here ther is no need to repeat the pronoun he; It is in fact considered redundant.

Inflation stayed high before the central bank raised the interest rate but (inflation / it) dropped significantly soon after. We can drop the subject of the second part.

Sir, what is the difference between ',and' ( in A &B) and 'and,(in C,D&E). Can i take these as splits

Thanks & Regards
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 03:00
Hi VeritasKarishma and GMATNinja
Could you please explain how in option D "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide" is not modifying the verb, but modifying the subject("executives) in an unsaid way?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 03:10
dreamofbest2020 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma and GMATNinja
Could you please explain how in option D "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide" is not modifying the verb, but modifying the subject("executives) in an unsaid way?

The structure of the sentence is this:

X suggests that executives examine ... and decide ...

it is the same as

X suggests that executives examine ... and (executives) decide ...
"Executives" is the subject for both verbs.

"using the set of objective ... " is a modifier that tells you HOW. How should the executives decide? Using a set of ...

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 09:30
Can someone explain why (B) is wrong? Would it be a correct answer if there is "that" between "and" and "they"? Thanks!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 18:27
hammypancakey wrote:
Can someone explain why (B) is wrong? Would it be a correct answer if there is "that" between "and" and "they"? Thanks!
Option B uses these analysis.

... the set of objective criteria derived from these analysis...

We clearly don't want to use these with a singular noun (analysis).
S
Affiliations: NA
Schools: ISB '21, NUS '22, NTU '22
GPA: 3.8
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 07:11
(A) conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide - wrong "in using"

(B) conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding - they is redundant here, only executive is enough.

(C) conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding - wrong "in using"

(D) conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide - Correct, ( "using...." phrase modify executive decision)

(E) conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide - wrong "in using"
Non-Human User
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 15:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 15:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics