Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [16]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 03-30-2015
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then wha [#permalink]
(a+b)(a-b)=17

both statements don't get us close to the value of C
in order to get value of c we have to know value of A or B for that we can use both statements and get value of A and B to get value of C

b^2-c^2=17>>(a-3)^2-c^2=17
and a+b=21
a=12,b=9
with this we get c=+-8 we know they are positive so 8

hence answer is C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then wha [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi ,
(b+c)(b-c)=17, what is the value of (a+c)(a-c)?
Statement 1 is insufficient:
This does not say anything c. Also a-b=3 will have many values for a and b.
Statement 2 is also insufficient:
This again does not say anything about c. Also (a + b)/(a - b)= 7 has many values.
Together sufficient:
(a+b)=21 and a-b=3
Solving we get a=12 and b=9
If we subs in b^2 - c^2 = 17 we get c^2=8.
So we know values of a and c.
So together sufficient.
Answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer should be D. b^2-c^2 = 17, leaves us with two b = 9 and C = 8. These are the only two possible positive numbers whose squares differ by 17.
a. Substituting for b, we get a, and hence sufficient.
b. Again substituting for b, we get the value for A. Sufficient.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nphatak,

The prompt does NOT state that A, B and C are integers. Knowing that they might be non-integers, are there any OTHER values that you can come up with for B and C.....?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then what is the value of a^2 - c^2?

(1) a – b = 3
(2) (a + b)/(a - b)= 7

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Let X = a^2 - c^2, the value we are seeking. Notice if we subtract the first equation in the prompt from this equation, we get a^2 - b^2 = X – 17. In other words, if we could find the value of a^2 - b^2, then we could find the value of X.

Statement #1: a – b = 3

From this statement alone, we cannot calculate a^2 - b^2, so we can’t find the value of X. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2: (a + b)/(a - b) = 7

From this statement alone, we cannot calculate a^2 - b^2, so we can’t find the value of X. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statements #1 & #2 combined: Now, if we know both statements are true, then we could multiple these two equations, which cancel the denominator, and result in the simple equation a + b = 21. Now, we have the numerical value of both (a – b) and (a + b), so from the difference of two squares formula, we can figure out a^2 - b^2, and if we know the numerical value of that, we can calculate X and answer the prompt. Combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nphatak,

The prompt does NOT state that A, B and C are integers. Knowing that they might be non-integers, are there any OTHER values that you can come up with for B and C.....?

Rich

Dear , can you I tried to find examples for A,B as non-integer numbers in form (A+B)(A-B)=17 but i did not found?

can you give me examples
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear , can you I tried to find examples for A,B as non-integer numbers in form (A+B)(A-B)=17 but i did not found?

can you give me examples

hi 23a2012
you can have lot of examples ...
let a+b=17/2.. a-b=2... so (a+b)(a-b)=2*17/2=17..
there are two numbers a and b and two eq, so u can find the answer..
a+b=17/2..
a-b=2 or a=b+2.
put the value in above equation..
b+2+b=17/2..
2*b=17/2 - 2 = 13/2.... so b = 13/4 and a= b+2=13/4+2=21/4....
similarly a+b=17/3.. a-b=3... and so on
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then what is the value of a^2 - c^2?

(1) a – b = 3
(2) (a + b)/(a - b)= 7

Let X = a^2 - c^2, the value we are seeking. Notice if we subtract the first equation in the prompt from this equation, we get a^2 - b^2 = X – 17. In other words, if we could find the value of a^2 - b^2, then we could find the value of X.

From this statement alone, we cannot calculate a^2 - b^2, so we can’t find the value of X. Statement #1, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

From this statement alone, we cannot calculate a^2 - b^2, so we can’t find the value of X. Statement #2, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statements #1 & #2 combined: Now, if we know both statements are true, then we could multiple these two equations, which cancel the denominator, and result in the simple equation a + b = 21. Now, we have the numerical value of both (a – b) and (a + b), so from the difference of two squares formula, we can figure out a^2 - b^2, and if we know the numerical value of that, we can calculate X and answer the prompt. Combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = C

Hi Bunuel,
I don't know why I don't get the highlighted part above. I get the arithmetic behind it but fail to understand why we can do this. I am familiar with systems of equations where you add and subtract equations to eliminate terms. I have a feeling this is very simple but I am just not seeing it. Please help!
Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
renept wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) a – b = 3
(2) (a + b)/(a - b)= 7

Answer = C

Hi Bunuel,
I don't know why I don't get the highlighted part above. I get the arithmetic behind it but fail to understand why we can do this. I am familiar with systems of equations where you add and subtract equations to eliminate terms. I have a feeling this is very simple but I am just not seeing it. Please help!
Thanks

Hi renept,

I think that you might find it easier to think of that math as 'substitution' instead of multiplication.

Fact 1 tells us that (a - b) = 3
Fact 2 gives us another equation: (a + b)/(a - b) = 7

Combining the two Facts, notice how (a - b) appears in both equations? We can 'substitute' the value of (a - b) into the second equation, which would give us...

(a + b)/3 = 7
(a + b) = 21

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) a – b = 3
3 variable 2 eqn not possible to solve
Clearly insufficient

(2) (a + b)/(a - b)= 7
3 variable 2 equation not possible

However when 1 and 2 is combined 3 variables 3 equation possible to solve

Therefore IMO D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
The equation (B^2 - C^2 = 17) can be factored as ((B + C)(B - C) = 17). The possible factor pairs for 17 are ((1, 17)) and ((-1, -17)), since 17 is a prime number. This leads to the following possibility:

(B + C = 17) and (B - C = 1)
Solving these two equations simultaneously, we get (B = 9) and (C = 8)

HENCE Now we can solve for A and the answer is {b}Option D[/b]
Bunuel EMPOWERgmatRichC help!!!!!!!!!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arihant16 wrote:
The equation (B^2 - C^2 = 17) can be factored as ((B + C)(B - C) = 17). The possible factor pairs for 17 are ((1, 17)) and ((-1, -17)), since 17 is a prime number. This leads to the following possibility:

We are not give that a, b, and c are integers, hence your reasoning in red above is not correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arihant16 wrote:

Hi Arihant16,

This exact issue is discussed in older posts further up the thread, but to reiterate:

While the prompt does tell us that A, B and C are POSITIVE, it does NOT state that the three variables are integers. Thus, while B=9, C=8 is a possible solution to the given equation, it is NOT the only one.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 381 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then wha [#permalink]
Arihant16 wrote:

----------------------------------------------
Since A,B,C are all positive and not the integer, We can also give B=5 and C=2\(\sqrt{2}\) then also your answer might come, Since it is just a number not integer, you cant give this as answer
GMAT Club Bot
The numbers a, b, and c are all positive. If b^2 - c^2 = 17, then wha [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts