Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [23]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM
Re: People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
diegocml wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
The people of Denmark have developed advanced techniques for processing incinerator ash and use them to annually recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made new products, everything from steel beams to jewelry.

A. ash and use them to annually recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made

B. ash and use them on an annual basis to recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which is made

C. ash and use them to recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal annually, which is made into

D. ash and use them yearly, recovering 50,000 tons of scrap metal, which are made into

E. ash, using them each year to recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal made into

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Is it just me or that from which are made sounds a bit fishy? I'm not convinced is the right answer.

Yes, it surely does sound fishy. Here's my thinking.

from which are made new products

from which new products are made

The first is just an inversion of the second, and in the first as in the second the subject of the relative clause is "products" and the verb is "are made".

I am pretty sure that it works, while all of the other choices have fatal errors. I'll have to reconsider it though.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sbhatnagar wrote:
Why isn't it D, but A?

D. ash and use them yearly, recovering scrap metal weighing 50,000 tons, which are made into

"use them yearly" conveys that the techniques are used once a year or every year. That meaning is a distortion of what the sentence is meant to convey, which is that every year 50,000 tons are recovered via the continuous application of the techniques.

Also, "are" agrees with "tons". The point is that the metal is made into products, rather than the tons.

In A, "annually" is placed in a way such that the sentence conveys that the people recover 50,000 tons of metal annually, and "are" agrees with "products".

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 26 Jan 2017, 06:36.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 20 Jan 2018, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for processing incinerator ash and use them to recover annually 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made new products, everything from steel beams to jewelry.

A. ash and use them to recover annually 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made

B. ash and use them on an annual basis to recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which is made
advanced techniques used on annual basis is wrong

C. ash and use them to recover 50,000 tons of scrap metal annually, which is made into

D. ash and use them yearly, recovering 50,000 tons of scrap metal, which are made into

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
The logical meaning of the sentence:

People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for processing X and use them to recover 50,000 tons of Y annually. Moreover, from those 50,000 tons of Y new products are made.

A)

B) The option implies that the techniques are used on annual basis. This is illogical as per the sentence.

C) "which" refers to "50,000 tons of scrap metal" and must, therefore, use "are".

D) "...use them yearly..." commits the same mistake as option B does.

E) "...using them each year..." commits the same mistake as option B does.

Thus, option A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:
People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for processing incinerator ash and use them to recover annually 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made new products, everything from steel beams to jewelry.

A. ash and use them to recover annually 50,000 tons of scrap metal, from which are made

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Here's my take on this -

One split among the options is between "....which is made..." and "...which are made...".
Sometimes GMAT confuses us by placing verb in front of the subject (...from which are made new products...). There is nothing wrong in placing like this. Only it sounds awkward to our ears.
In such cases flip the sentence : ...from which new products are made... Perfect right :)

Hence for the above reason B and C are out.
In option E ".....using them....metal made into...." seems to modify People in Denmark have developed advanced techniques for processing incinerator ash which distorts the meaning and it goes something like this - People in Denmark have developed these techniques for processing....using them blah blah) Makes no sense!

Option D too has a modifier error.

Thus A :banana
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts