Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 07:00 It is currently 10 May 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35536 [43]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35536 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal i [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 177: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal in quality, though less influential, than the work of his more famous contemporary John Donne.

(A) equal in quality [to], though less influential, than the work
Since equivalence is desired here "equal in quality to" is required rather than "equal in quality". "than" has to come before the comma.

(B) equal in quality to, though less influential than, the work
Correct comparison by using "to" and using "than" before the comma

(C) qualitatively equal [to], though less influential than, that
With "equal" "to" is required to establish similarity

(D) equal in quality as, though less influential than, the work
With "equal" "to" is required to establish similarity

(E) of equal quality, though of less influence, than that
"less influential" is concise/better than "of less influence"

IMO the correct answer is B for the reasons mentioned above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 645
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal i [#permalink]
Kudos
The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal in quality, though less influential, than the work of his more famous contemporary John Donne.

If we remove the commas to make them as separate clauses-

The poetry of george Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal in quality to the work of his work.....
The poetry of george Herbert is regarded by many critics as less influential than the work....

So option B fits the chart perfectly in terms of grammar as well as meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Imo. B

(A) equal in quality, though less influential, than the work - ...less .... than construction can not be separated in the sentence. Here, than is separated from the less. Hence, incorrect.

(B) equal in quality to, though less influential than, the work - Seems fine and the meaning of the sentence is conveyed. The poetry of GH (although less influential than the work of JD) is regarded by many critics as equal in quality to the work of his famous contemporary JD. Hold it.

(C) qualitatively equal, though less influential than, that - Here, that modifier does not have noun and qualitatively equal sounds awkward. Hence, incorrect.

(D) equal in quality as, though less influential than, the work - This sentence distorts the meaning because of usage of as. It indicates that because of work of JD, the poetry of GH is regarded by many critics. Hence, incorrect.

(E) of equal quality, though of less influence, than that[/quote] - that modifier has ambiguous noun.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos

What are being compared? quality of the poetry of George Hebert and quality of the work of John Donne. Can I compare the quality of poetry of someone with the quality of the work of another person? Yes, since the emphasis is on quality.
So, option A is basically saying the poetry of George Herbert is equal in quality than the quality of the work of John Donne. to is required rather than than. I am not sure if the modifier though less influencial is correct as is or has to be though less influential than. I believe the comparison marker is as I'm not sure if less than is still a requirement or if less will suffice in this case.
We can eliminate A based on the omission of to which is required for idiomatic and logical reasons.

Options C, D, and E all miss to. I wished that option C had to, I would have chosen it as the best answer out of the lot. This is because option C would have meant the quality of the poetry of John Herbert is compared with the quality of the poetry of John Donne. I believe this would be more appropriate than option B. This would be akin to comparing the taste of varieties of apples rather than the taste of an apple to that of an orange. I stand to be corrected; since GMAT has its peculiar requirements.

Option B is the best answer out of the lot. It rightly compares the quality of the poetry of George Herbert to the quality of the work of John Donne.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2305 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
My choice is (B). It took me 1 minute and 12 seconds.

(A) as we never say "equal in quality than", this option can be easily ruled out.
(C) For one, we still need to have "equal to"; for another, the use of 'qualitatively equal' sounds out of place: it may be used in scientific fields but not in general discussions.
(D) "as" should be used in "as ... as' construct.
(E) We never say "of equal quality than"; this option can be ruled out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal i [#permalink]
Kudos

(A) equal in quality, though less influential, than the work ( wrong . as removing the appositive in between gives wrong meaning equal in quality than the work is awkward)

(B) equal in quality to, though less influential than, the work ( equal in quality to the work of is perfect usage if appositive is removed.correct choice )

(C) qualitatively equal, though less influential than, that ( wrong . as removing the appositive in between gives awkward sentence )

(D) equal in quality as, though less influential than, the work ( wrong . as removing the appositive in between gives equal in quality as the work - here as cannot be used to compare the noun. so verb is needed. so wrong

(E) of equal quality, though of less influence, than that ( wrong . as removing the appositive in between - of equal quality than that of his more famous - here for equality than is used which is wrong, it can be used only for more , less etc not with equal quality )
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal i [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:

(A) equal in quality, though less influential, than the work

(C) qualitatively equal, though less influential than, that

The poetry of George Herbert is regarded by many critics as equal in quality than the work of his more famous contemporary John Donne. The trimmed sentence does not make sense. equal in quality than the work?

Trying the same approach with C and E. Both get eliminated.

Quote:

Option does a better job of comparison by using "to". equal in quality to something.

Note: Since the non underlined portion uses "As" I was inclined towards D but I guess B does a better job.

IMO B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.68
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos

(A) equal in quality, though less influential, than the work - the comma is misplaced

(B) equal in quality to, though less influential than, the work - it should be as equal as

(D) equal in quality as, though less influential than, the work - as equal as, less than - is the correct answer choice

Thus, the correct answer choice is D
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35536 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM

While I agree with the logic that we cannot say "EQUAL THAN" and "EQUAL TO" makes perfect sense over here , I am not able to digest the fact that "POETRY" being Compared with "Work". Work being a general term which could include any other work (DANCING) too.

Is it that the article "THE" before work making the difference, is it that the word "THE WORK" indicating POETRY specifically.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
The comparison isnot maintained for the comparison to be equak it should be equal to

The comparison is accurate and provides the correct meaning let us hang to iit

Than what the looks , communciation of the author, no the work comparison should be mentioined

as feels so tempting , the comparison is beeter bought out bty to

(E) of equal quality, though of less influence, than
Similar reasoning as C

Hence IMO B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts