Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619176 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.

(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

A.

Here’s another connector you should know: between . . .and (as in “Between me and you . . .”). When you scan the choices, quickly narrow down the possibilities by picking out incorrect idioms like “between. . .to.” In(C), youcould use “have” only if you were talking about continuing action. You say “the recent poll taxes have disenfranchised many cit- izens,”but if you’re talking about action that started and finished in the past you simply say “the taxes dis- enfranchised many citizens.” In (E),“had the effect of” and “inasmuch as” are wordy and therefore wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 [#permalink]
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(E) and 1910 had the effct of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as

1. between A and B, so B, D out

2. "had the effect of disenfranchising" should directly be "disenfranchised", E out

3. I often use "since" as signal for present perfect, so A out

C is the best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I also chose C. I think A would be correct if the comma was removed before "since". However, for the sake of simplicity is the present perfect even necessary in this case (i.e. for C)?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
chicagocubsrule wrote:
I also chose C. I think A would be correct if the comma was removed before "since". However, for the sake of simplicity is the present perfect even necessary in this case (i.e. for C)?

Agree

1. A can answer the question WHY the taxes disenfranchised many citizens?

2. C answer the question WHEN the taxes disenfranchised many citizens?

For the sake of logic, I think C is the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Agree with A.

C is wrong because, it uses present tense with "have".

E is unnecessarily wordy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [0]
Send PM
Is the comma after "since" required?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
How about?

Since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting, the poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens.

A for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
 Q44  V38
Send PM

the idiom "between x and y", therefore
B & D out
C have disenfranchised... since => the people are still being disenfranchised since the time that the tax was a prereq. changes meaning, therefore c out
E is wordy and A i don't like the word since, would rather have because. im gonna go for A anyway.
A final answer

Whats the OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
On the second look, Will chose E.

In A.. How can "Poll tax enaction " disenfrachise..many citizens.?? (Gramatically it may correct. But Logically
its not correct)

Is it really "Poll tax enaction" can disenfranchise..??? Answer NO

Poll tax enaction can have effect of disenfrachising... ?? Answer Yes.

"Poll tax enacted in ..." had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens
--> poll tax enaction ..had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens.

I rejected E in the first look because "in as much as" looks awkward.
But found that "in as much as" --> since, because that.

in as much as (idiom)--> becuase that or since
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/In+as+much+as
I will go for E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM

Hi mates,

IMO A

the point here is "between x and y", so B and D out.

E out too: "as much as"

Then, between A and C (here we have an example :lol: ) I'd go with simple past and also for the comma

OA and Source?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: finance & strategy
Send PM
first I chose A. but after reading your explanation, I would agree with E also.
x2suresh wrote:
On the second look, Will chose E.

In A.. How can "Poll tax enaction " disenfrachise..many citizens.?? (Gramatically it may correct. But Logically
its not correct)

Is it really "Poll tax enaction" can disenfranchise..??? Answer NO

Poll tax enaction can have effect of disenfrachising... ?? Answer Yes.

"Poll tax enacted in ..." had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens
--> poll tax enaction ..had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens.

I rejected E in the first look because "in as much as" looks awkward.
But found that "in as much as" --> since, because that.

in as much as (idiom)--> becuase that or since
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/In+as+much+as
I will go for E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Option A : Correct.

Option B : 'Between' cannot be used with 'to'. Hence, incorrect.

Option C : 'Have' is used for plurals while the subject (about whom the statement is made) is 'The poll taxes enacted in' is a singular. Pl. note : although the word taxes is used but here it refers to a single set of taxes, hence, singular subject. Incorrect.

Option D : The period talked about here is in the long past (can be inferred from the tone if we don't want assume that when the referred text was written the year 1910 has not passed). The phrase 'has been' gives the effect of something completed just when the text was written. Hence, incorrect.
Alternate theory : 'has been disenfranchising' changes the tone to passive voice which is antagonistic to the overall active voice of the sentence.

Option E : Its a lot more complex than Option A while the latter is correct too. So, this is less favorable than A for a correct answer. Also, frankly, there is no other clear cut reason I could find.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM

(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as

Interesting Question
we have 2 splits here:
1. and vs to
2. since vs because

When we use between we should always use "And" so B and D OUT

Now Since can be used in 2 ways:

With present perfect tense.
And also when it is used as because in the sentence.Here if we read sentence carefully since is used as because.

Moreover both C and E are using present and past perfect form of the verb, if we go by the clues of the sentence ,its using past tense and for this reason also C and E are OUT

A is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.09
WE:Sales (Investment Banking)
Send PM
This is very confusing IMO

(A) has a error
(C) also isnt quite right

(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since-------------------------------> the phrase after the comma is not an indepent clause therefore its wrong to use a comma to join the two
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since---------------------------------> idiom for between is between X and Y. "To" is wrong
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since -------------------------> the tense change here to perfect present implies that this is on going this is a meaning change from C sooo kinda wrong. no grammatical error though
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because ------------------>the "to " is wrong then tense change as c
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as---> again issue of dependent clause after the comma

i went with the one that sounded wrong but was grammatically correct.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tshenolo wrote:
This is very confusing IMO

(A) has a error
(C) also isnt quite right

(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since-------------------------------> the phrase after the comma is not an indepent clause therefore its wrong to use a comma to join the two
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since---------------------------------> idiom for between is between X and Y. "To" is wrong
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since -------------------------> the tense change here to perfect present implies that this is on going this is a meaning change from C sooo kinda wrong. no grammatical error though
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because ------------------>the "to " is wrong then tense change as c
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as---> again issue of dependent clause after the comma

i went with the one that sounded wrong but was grammatically correct.

Hello Tshenolo,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, commas actually are the correct punctuation for joining independent and dependent clauses; semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; commas cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts