GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 556
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 23:07
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:47) correct 34% (00:44) wrong based on 116 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.

(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as

_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1677
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 23:18
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effct of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as


1. between A and B, so B, D out

2. "had the effect of disenfranchising" should directly be "disenfranchised", E out

3. I often use "since" as signal for present perfect, so A out

C is the best
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 238
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 23:48
I also chose C. I think A would be correct if the comma was removed before "since". However, for the sake of simplicity is the present perfect even necessary in this case (i.e. for C)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 393
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 23:50
1
Correct idiom is between X and Y. A,C and E remain

E is unnecessarily wordy.

Between A and C, I'll go with A.

The 'enacted' in the first part of the sentence shows that the actions are in past tense. We do not need 'have'.We have enough clarity even without that.

Hence A

Cheers,
Unplugged
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1677
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 00:06
chicagocubsrule wrote:
I also chose C. I think A would be correct if the comma was removed before "since". However, for the sake of simplicity is the present perfect even necessary in this case (i.e. for C)?


Agree

1. A can answer the question WHY the taxes disenfranchised many citizens?

2. C answer the question WHEN the taxes disenfranchised many citizens?

For the sake of logic, I think C is the best!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1682
Location: New York
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 00:09
1
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effct of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as


between X and Y

B,D --> out
C --> have .. present perferct tense is wrong.
E --> awkward .

A is the best
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1436
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 01:14
Agree with A.

C is wrong because, it uses present tense with "have".

E is unnecessarily wordy.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 238
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 11:16
Is the comma after "since" required?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Posts: 94
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 12:45
How about?

Since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting, the poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens.


A for me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:10
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effct of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as


the idiom "between x and y", therefore
B & D out
C have disenfranchised... since => the people are still being disenfranchised since the time that the tax was a prereq. changes meaning, therefore c out
E is wordy and A i don't like the word since, would rather have because. im gonna go for A anyway.
A final answer

Whats the OA?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1682
Location: New York
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:11
On the second look, Will chose E.

In A.. How can "Poll tax enaction " disenfrachise..many citizens.?? (Gramatically it may correct. But Logically
its not correct)

Is it really "Poll tax enaction" can disenfranchise..??? Answer NO

Poll tax enaction can have effect of disenfrachising... ?? Answer Yes.



"Poll tax enacted in ..." had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens
--> poll tax enaction ..had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens.


I rejected E in the first look because "in as much as" looks awkward.
But found that "in as much as" --> since, because that.


in as much as (idiom)--> becuase that or since
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/In+as+much+as
I will go for E.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 443
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:13
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effct of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as


Hi mates,

IMO A

the point here is "between x and y", so B and D out.

E out too: "as much as"

Then, between A and C (here we have an example :lol: ) I'd go with simple past and also for the comma

OA and Source?

Thanks
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2009, 16:42
first I chose A. but after reading your explanation, I would agree with E also.
x2suresh wrote:
On the second look, Will chose E.

In A.. How can "Poll tax enaction " disenfrachise..many citizens.?? (Gramatically it may correct. But Logically
its not correct)

Is it really "Poll tax enaction" can disenfranchise..??? Answer NO

Poll tax enaction can have effect of disenfrachising... ?? Answer Yes.



"Poll tax enacted in ..." had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens
--> poll tax enaction ..had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens.


I rejected E in the first look because "in as much as" looks awkward.
But found that "in as much as" --> since, because that.


in as much as (idiom)--> becuase that or since
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/In+as+much+as
I will go for E.

_________________

-----------------------
tusharvk

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50627
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 03:22
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.

(A) and 1901 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, in as much as


KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



A.

Here’s another connector you should know: between . . .and (as in “Between me and you . . .”). When you scan the choices, quickly narrow down the possibilities by picking out incorrect idioms like “between. . .to.” In(C), youcould use “have” only if you were talking about continuing action. You say “the recent poll taxes have disenfranchised many cit- izens,”but if you’re talking about action that started and finished in the past you simply say “the taxes dis- enfranchised many citizens.” In (E),“had the effect of” and “inasmuch as” are wordy and therefore wrong.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901 &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 03:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The poll taxes enacted in the Southern states between 1889 and 1901

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.