Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [32]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64932 [8]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619168 [3]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619168 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: The proposed coal-burning electric plant should be approved, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gladiator59 wrote:
The proposed coal-burning electric plant should be approved, since no good arguments have been offered against it. After all, all the arguments against it have been presented by competing electricity producers.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the reasoning above depends?

(A) The competing electricity producers would stand to lose large amount of revenue from the building of a coal-burning electric plant.
(B) If a person's arguments against a proposal are defective, then the person has a vested interest in seeing that the proposal is not implemented.
(C) Approval of coal-burning electric plant would please coal suppliers more than disapproval would please suppliers of fuel to the competing electricity producers.
(D) If good arguments are presented for a proposal, then that proposal should be approved.
(E) Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are not good arguments.

Posted from my mobile device

EXPLANATION FROM Fox LSAT

This is a commonly-tested flaw. “Because it’s self-serving for you to say X, the exact opposite of X must be true.” That’s bullshit. Just because someone might be biased in favor of a certain plan doesn’t mean that the plan can’t still be sound. This argument attacks the proponents of a plan rather than the plan itself.

Specifically, this argument says, “The only arguments that have been presented in opposition to the coal plant are from competing electricity producers, therefore there are no good arguments that have been presented.” We’re asked to find an assumption on which the argument depends: a necessary assumption. My prediction is something like, “Competing electric producers can’t possibly have good arguments against a coal-burning power plant.” This must be true in order for the logic of the argument to be valid. If it’s false, the argument fails.

A) Not what we’re looking for. Also “revenue” is too specific. Did the author really assume, necessarily, anything about revenue?

B) This is close, but backward. If it said, “If a person has a vested interest, then their arguments are defective,” then I would love this answer. But that’s not what it says.

C) Huh? Where did the concept of “pleasing” come from?

D) Uh, no. The argument says “only bad arguments against this proposal have been offered, so we should approve it," not “there are good reasons to do it, so let's do it."

E) Yep. This matches our prediction. If this is untrue, the argument fails.

So our answer is E.
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31947 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gladiator59 wrote:
The proposed coal-burning electric plant should be approved, since no good arguments have been offered against it. After all, all the arguments against it have been presented by competing electricity producers.

(A) The competing electricity producers would stand to lose large amount of revenue from the building of a coal-burning electric plant.
(B) If a person's arguments against a proposal are defective, then the person has a vested interest in seeing that the proposal is not implemented.
(C) Approval of coal-burning electric plant would please coal suppliers more than disapproval would please suppliers of fuel to the competing electricity producers.
(D) If good arguments are presented for a proposal, then that proposal should be approved.
(E) Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are not good arguments.

Now this is an ASSUMPTION question, so we have to look for the gap..
We initially talk of lack of 'good arguments', and then says ' after all these are from competitors'..
So we have to connect competitors argument with good argument..

E says exactly the same and fills this gap..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
IMO B .

not good = defective argument
and they have vested interest in seeing proposal is not implemented .

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
I am still confused between d and e

Why is d incorrect? Option e does have a proper linkage though. I agree with e as well.

Still cannot eliminate d on solid grounds!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
aditliverpoolfc wrote:

Why is d incorrect? Option e does have a proper linkage though. I agree with e as well.

We dont know whether the arguments made by competitors are good or bad and hence we cannot assume.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
INSEADIESE wrote:

I think you have mistaken Necessary Assumption with Sufficient Assumption.

(Argument)If there is no good argument against it -> proposal should be approved
(D)If good arguments -> proposal should be approved.

As you can see, No good argument against it is sufficient for approving the plant but not necessary. (D) falls into this trap. If there are good arguments, there are possibilities that the plan still will not be approved.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
if you negate D, it becomes the premise, so that is why D i not correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Ok, I got confused between B and E.
But E is correct because : it follows from the premise to conclusion.
People who do have interest in the outcome give the wrong arguments.
This makes sense :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
The proposed coal-burning electric plant should be approved, [#permalink]
option E says "Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are not good arguments". Is it not too general. Because of this, it makes this answer choice difficult to choose as the correct answer. I understand that in this context it can be an assumption. I think this answer option could have been better worded as "Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of the proposal are not good arguments". Any opinion??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

(A) The competing electricity producers would stand to lose large amount of revenue from the building of a coal-burning electric plant. - WRONG. Looks good but it is not necessarily required for the conclusion to be true. Without revenue aspect also the argument stands to hold.
(B) If a person's arguments against a proposal are defective, then the person has a vested interest in seeing that the proposal is not implemented. - WRONG. Trap if one misunderstands the passage. Reverse case is presented in the conditional form. If vested interest is there then proposals are defective is what passage deals in.
(C) Approval of coal-burning electric plant would please coal suppliers more than disapproval would please suppliers of fuel to the competing electricity producers. - WRONG. No such comparison is necessary for the conclusion to hold.
(D) If good arguments are presented for a proposal, then that proposal should be approved. - WRONG. Out of the three possibilities - bad arguments, good arguments and absence of either of them - only bad arguments is discussed. Absence of good arguments does not mean we can make conclusion base on them.
(E) Arguments made by those who have a vested interest in the outcome of a proposal are not good arguments. - CORRECT. If they have good arguments then we are in trouble OR we can say negating this would break the conclusion apart.

Answer E.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts