Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619257 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in lo [#permalink]
I ll say E as well. A B C are wrong due to the reasons stated above and D is redundant and has an awkward lack of connection between the 2 parts of the sentence
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in lo [#permalink]
Hi,
IMO E
Analysis:
A has an ambiguous “they” after because. It could refer to either rules or elections.
B changes the meaning. It’s not the rules that involve money. The modifier in the beginning seems to do so.
C has comparison error. Rules to national election.
D comparison error. Twice.
E corrects the modifier error and comparison error. In local elections to in national elections. Ambiguous they from original sentence is replaced with national elections.
So option E it is.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

(A) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

"they" is ambiguous since it could refer to either local elections or national elections.

(B) Because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse, the rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than the rules are in national elections.

it is the "local elections" which involve smaller money, not the "rules".

(C) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

Here, "national elections" and "rules that govern political contributions" are parallel. so wrong. In addition, "they" is ambiguous.

(D) Because local elections typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse than national elections, the rules that govern local political contributions are less stringent than national contributions.

It changes the meaning. "govern political contributions in local elections" was changed to "govern local political contributions". and "national elections" was changed to "national contributions".

(E) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because local elections typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello Experts,

I am fairly new to SC questions and wished to know the reason Option D is wrong. I personally think it is because of a comma splice but I am not too sure, if you could throw some light on this it would be really helpful.

Thanks and Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
MentorTutoring Thanks for the explanation. The concept of a comma splice is clearer for me now.
Thanks once again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

(A) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

(B) Because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse, the rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than the rules are in national elections.

(C) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than national elections because they typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

(D) Because local elections typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse than national elections, the rules that govern local political contributions are less stringent than national contributions.

(E) The rules that govern political contributions are less stringent in local elections than they are in national elections because local elections typically involve smaller amounts of money and present less opportunity for abuse.

Hello guys!
Taking the conversation ahead,

Eliminate Option B and D, the construction seems flawed and incorrect.
Eliminate Option C as it fails to use 'than they are in', which makes the readers' life easy.
Eliminate Option A, it fails to specify who 'they' is referred to as, and that makes it ambiguous as well.

Option E is the winner with perfect usage and no errors at all!

Hit E

Official Answer:- Option E

Thanks!

Regards,
Raunak Damle :student_man:
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts