GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 23:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:14) correct 27% (01:34) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The scoring in tennis, unlike many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; a tennis game begins at love and continues to fifteen, thirty, forty, and the winning point.

A) unlike many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

B) unlike the scoring in many other sports, do not progress numerically by integers, but progress by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

C) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike the scoring in many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

D) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

E) unlike the scoring in many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

Source: Platinum GMAT

G
Re: The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 11:02
UB001 wrote:
The scoring in tennis, unlike many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; a tennis game begins at love and continues to fifteen, thirty, forty, and the winning point.

A) unlike many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

B) unlike the scoring in many other sports, do not progress numerically by integers, but progress by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

C) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike the scoring in many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

D) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

E) unlike the scoring in many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game;

Source: Platinum GMAT

So lets see now, the scoring of tennis should be compared with scoring of other sports, with this respect A, C and D are out.

Now since we are talking about tennis, a singular sport, we will use a singular verb does rather than a do, eliminating B

Answer E

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 15:09
Does like/unlike follow the touch rule? In the case of C, the reason it is wrong is because the comparative phrase beginning with unlike is modifying integers right?
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 11:57
Hi kchen1994,

I guess in the case of option C unlike is modifying scoring in Tennis only,

kchen1994 wrote:
Does like/unlike follow the touch rule? In the case of C, the reason it is wrong is because the comparative phrase beginning with unlike is modifying integers right?

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 21:24
kchen1994 wrote:

Right .. it does not ...
I read somewhere that like and unlike is not dependent on touch rule.

Ram played with his children, like his father

Like his father, Ram played with his children.

Both are true and hence I believe both options c and e shall be true

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 06:55

A) unlike many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; --> "The scoring in tennis" is wrongly compared w/ "many other sports"

B) unlike the scoring in many other sports, do not progress numerically by integers, but progress by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; --> "The scoring in tennis" is singular

C) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike the scoring in many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; --> "unlike the scoring in many other sports" should be close to the noun, it compares

D) does not progress numerically by integers, unlike many other sports, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; --> same as C

E) unlike the scoring in many other sports, does not progress numerically by integers, but progresses by fifteen points per play until the final two points of the game; -->correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2019, 06:55

The scoring in tennis, [u]unlike many other sports, does not progress

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics