Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 06:41 It is currently 13 May 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 562 [51]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 562 [16]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [13]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A.

We can start by comparing the last parts. There is a split between due to and because of. Due to means ‘caused by’, which does not fit here. So B and D can be eliminated.
The next split is instead of and rather than. On the SC Questions, rather than is always preferable to instead of. So C can be eliminated.
E looks close because of the apparent parallel structure- by having rather than by preventing. However, when two verbs are joined in parallel structure with the help of conjunctions such as ‘rather than’, they must refer to the same subject. ‘By having equal opportunities’ refers to the voters. Voters would have equal opportunities. But ‘by preventing from progressing’ is not being done by the voters. Voters are not preventing progression. Rather they are being prevented from progressing (by the lack of a democratic system). Thus, in A,
the first verb is active ‘having equal opportunities’ and the second verb is passive ‘be prevented’.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people [#permalink]
May I know the source of this question? I cannot locate the source of this sentence. Seems its not from the OG or any published article. The sentence structure is weird and can only be analyzed from the grammar standpoint.

However, from the meaning standpoint, it seems nonsensical to compare "to realize" with "to be prevented from."

Besides, can any expert cite other examples with the same sentence structure that compares "to (verb)" and "to be (verb-ed)"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts,

The reason I rejected A was because 'by having equal economic opportunities rather than be prevented from progressing' did not seem parallel enough. Maybe I am comparing the wrong elements.

Can any of the experts please weigh in.

Thanks in advance,
Akash
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
AkashM wrote:
Hi Experts,

The reason I rejected A was because 'by having equal economic opportunities rather than be prevented from progressing' did not seem parallel enough. Maybe I am comparing the wrong elements.

Can any of the experts please weigh in.

Thanks in advance,
Akash

Hello, Akash. I will admit to taking a whopping 2:12 to work through this one. Yes, I did answer correctly, but the process of elimination took me much longer than usual. My timing on a Sentence Correction question tends to hover around a minute; this speaks to the complex construction of the sentence by the e-GMAT question-writers. Regarding your concern, first, be careful not to be too quick to the draw to eliminate seemingly non-parallel elements. Sometimes they come in disguise. Parallelism is a secondary or tertiary concern: the expression of vital meaning should always come first. Second, in this particular sentence, you can check for parallelism by removing the first apparent parallel element and replacing it with the second. Consider the correct sentence with your proposed parallel elements:

The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities rather than be prevented from progressing because of the concentration of wealth with a select few.

Now, tease apart the two and check the meaning:

1) The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities

The meaning is clear, and the sentence is seamless.

2) The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy rather than be prevented from progressing

The meaning is clear once again, and we have unwittingly revealed the parallel elements in the process. Notice that the two phrases in the comparison begin with an infinitive form of a verb, to realize and [to] be. Now we can appreciate how the sentence is wound together:

The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities rather than be prevented from progressing because of the concentration of wealth with a select few.

You might wonder why the first parallel element is not to enable. Why would that not work? Because the comparison in the sentence focuses on his country's people, not on the social activist himself. We understand that the activist ran to allow the people to realize or achieve an aim, rather than be denied that opportunity. If we attempt to make the first parallel element to enable, then we have the following sentence that distorts the meaning I just described:

Now we are saying that the politician ran so as not to be prevented from progressing, and that misses the heart of the comparison. I hope that all makes sense. If not, feel free to follow up.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the wonderful reply!

To compare 'to realize..' and '[to] be..' makes perfect sense. To be honest I did not fully understand what the sentence was trying to say after 'rather than', but now I do.

Appreciate the help! :)

Regards,
Akash
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkashM wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the wonderful reply!

To compare 'to realize..' and '[to] be..' makes perfect sense. To be honest I did not fully understand what the sentence was trying to say after 'rather than', but now I do.

Appreciate the help! :)

Regards,
Akash

Glad to hear it, Akash. As I said above, this question took me a moment to size up myself, so I empathized when I read your post. Just remember, do not settle on anything you know is incorrect, but it is okay to admit (whether to yourself only or to others as well) that your understanding may need a little fine-tuning. The community is here to help.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
ajaygaur319 wrote:
(A) to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities rather than be prevented from progressing because of
(B) to enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities instead of to prevent from progressing due to
(C) that would enable his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities instead of to prevent from progressing because of
(D) so that his country’s people are allowed to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities rather than preventing them from progressing due to
(E) enabling his country’s people to realize the essence of democracy by having equal economic opportunities rather than by preventing them from progressing because of

Hello GMATNinja,

Is option E wrong just because it lacked COMMA between election and enabling ?

I chose E over A. I thought option E has better parallelism than option A.

...by having equal economic opportunities rather than by preventing them from....

thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hey AndrewN, egmat
Can you help me in ascertaining the parallelism issue in some choices in here.
For C, what is 'to prevent' parallel to. My thinking is, it is parallel to 'to realize'.
But going through its explanations, that doesn't seem to be case as 'to prevent' is parallel to 'that would enable'.
I know that would enable sets up a relative pronoun clause. But can that clause in itself contain a list?
Or if the sentence is getting splitted on the word instead of, so is the sentence sounding something like: "The social activist ran in election to prevent from progressing because of...."[because if we break sentence from the connector word, it should get split into two sentence].
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [1]
The social activist ran in the election to enable his country’s people [#permalink]