GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jul 2018, 19:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:11) correct 17% (01:19) wrong based on 380 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at least as far back as the Han Dynasty (206 B.C. to A.D. 220) and perhaps as early as the Western Zhou Dynasty (1050 B.C. to 771 B.C.), allowed only emperors performing the ritual worship of heaven, perceiving them as special links between the earthly and celestial realms.

(A) only emperors performing the ritual worship of heaven, perceiving them as

(B) only emperors to perform the ritual worship of heaven, with the perception of them being

(C) the ritual worship of heaven to be performed only by emperors, who were perceived as

(D) the ritual worship of heaven, performed by emperors only, with the perception of them as

(E) the ritual worship of heaven as performed by emperors only, who were perceived to be

https://archive.archaeology.org/0003/newsbriefs/altar.html

Chinese state religion, whose origins stretch back to the Han Dynasty (206 B.C.-A.D. 220) and perhaps as early as the Western Zhou Dynasty (1050-771 B.C.), involved the worship of heaven only by emperors, who were perceived as links between the earthly and celestial realms. Emperors mounted the steps of the Altar of Heaven barefoot, accompanied by an orchestra playing religious hymns, to prostrate themselves before celestial deities. Their effectiveness as emperors depended on the proper performance of ritual; otherwise they might be blamed for a bad harvest or other misfortunes.

Originally posted by WaterFlowsUp on 12 Nov 2014, 23:03.
Last edited by hazelnut on 11 Jul 2018, 19:40, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the title of the question
Manager
Manager
Re: The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2014, 23:55
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at least as far back as the Han Dynasty (206 B.C. to A.D. 220) and perhaps as early as the Western Zhou Dynasty (1050 B.C. to 771 B.C.), allowed only emperors performing the ritual worship of heaven, perceiving them as special links between the earthly and celestial realms.

A. only emperors performing the ritual worship of heaven, perceiving them as
B. only emperors to perform the ritual worship of heaven, with the perception of them being
C. the ritual worship of heaven to be performed only by emperors, who were perceived as
D. the ritual worship of heaven, performed by emperors only, with the perception of them as
E. the ritual worship of heaven as performed by emperors only, who were perceived to be

I narrowed down to A and C. Then finally i chose A since C is in passive voice.
Why A is wrong?
Verb-ing modifying the clause
'Them' refers to emperors
Whats the mistake am i doing in my analysis??
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 00:51
Quote:
I narrowed down to A and C. Then finally i chose A since C is in passive voice.
Why A is wrong?
Verb-ing modifying the clause
'Them' refers to emperors
Whats the mistake am i doing in my analysis??

A is wrong because the meaning of A is wrong
A says: The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at least as far back as the Han Dynasty (206 B.C. to A.D. 220) and perhaps as early as the Western Zhou Dynasty (1050 B.C. to 771 B.C.), allowed only emperors performing the ritual worship of heaven, perceiving them as special links between the earthly and celestial realms.-----------------> this means that "The state religion of ancient China" ALLOWED nothing other than this !! this can also mean that "The state religion of ancient China" never allowed people to live !!
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 01:57

Wrong. idiom: allow X doing Y <-- wrong.

B. only emperors to perform the ritual worship of heaven, with the perception of them being
Wrong. "being" is wrong.

C. the ritual worship of heaven to be performed only by emperors, who were perceived as
Correct. Idiom: allow X to be done by Y (original: allow X to do Y)

D. the ritual worship of heaven, performed by emperors only, with the perception of them as
Wrong. The red part should be a main verb, not modifier.

E. the ritual worship of heaven as performed by emperors only, who were perceived to be
Wrong. Idiom: allow X as done .... <-- wrong.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 04:15
pqhai wrote:

Wrong. "being" is wrong.

Hope it helps.

Hi pqhai,
can we say that in A, performing the ritual workshop and perceiving is in present tense. These has to be in past tense.
If this allow X to Y doesn't come to our mind, what's the other way to eliminate A.
TIA

Kudos please!

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 11:10
2013gmat wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Wrong. "being" is wrong.

Hope it helps.

Hi pqhai,
can we say that in A, performing the ritual workshop and perceiving is in present tense. These has to be in past tense.
If this allow X to Y doesn't come to our mind, what's the other way to eliminate A.
TIA

Hi 2013gmat.

IMO, A is also wrong because of "perceiving......" - Verb-ing modifier.

If you re-read A, it seems to convey the idea that The state religion of ancient China allowed only emperors to perform the ritual worship --> RESULT: they, emperors, were perceived as special links between the earthly and celestial realms. That logic is not the intended meaning. Emperors did not need to perform the ritual worship IN ORDER TO BE perceived as special links between the earthly and celestial realms.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2014, 01:16
2013gmat wrote:
can we say that in A, performing the ritual workshop and perceiving is in present tense. These has to be in past tense

performing and perceiving used here are actually called present participles. It is worthwhile to note that participles don't have tense of their own and they just derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence.

The world economy is facing challenging times.
– Present participle challenging in a sentence in present continuous tense.

In 2007, the world economy faced challenging times.
– Present participle challenging in a sentence in past tense.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this concept of participles. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2014, 06:30
EducationAisle wrote:
2013gmat wrote:
can we say that in A, performing the ritual workshop and perceiving is in present tense. These has to be in past tense

performing and perceiving used here are actually called present participles. It is worthwhile to note that participles don't have tense of their own and they just derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence.
This is the key. In choice A, "performing" isn't a verb--it's a modifier. That means the the state religion allowed only emperors (using an uncommon definition of allow, "to let enter or stay"). But not just any emperors were allowed into the state religion--only those emperors performing the proper rites were allowed in! This is clearly not the intended meaning of the sentence, and therefore answer (A) must be wrong.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2014, 14:25
pqhai wrote:
2013gmat wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Wrong. "being" is wrong.

Hope it helps.

Hi pqhai,
TIA

Hi 2013gmat.

IMO, A is also wrong because of "perceiving......" - Verb-ing modifier.

If you re-read A, it seems to convey the idea that The state religion of ancient China allowed only emperors to perform the ritual worship --> RESULT: they, emperors, were perceived as special links between the earthly and celestial realms. That logic is not the intended meaning. Emperors did not need to perform the ritual worship IN ORDER TO BE perceived as special links between the earthly and celestial realms.

Hope it helps.

This is a bit confusing. Usually, we predict the intended meaning from the main sentence. In this question too, the intended meaning of the main sentence must be maintained. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Kudos please!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 08:02
Hello Folks,

Can you tell me the reason why B is incorrect?

I'm thinking : '...., with...' is modifying the state religion instead of the emperors

-gettingbetter
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 03:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 03:09

The state religion of ancient China, which came into existence at leas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap