Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:52 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10541 [9]
Given Kudos: 49
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: The table ranks the urgency of, and local expertise and resources for, [#permalink]
Omkar_GMAT wrote:
Action 1 will take priority over 4 as numbers for Action 1 (Urgency 3, Local expertise 3 and Local resources 1) is greater than Action 4 (Urgency 2, local experise 2 and Local resources 1)

Action 2 might not take priorities as numbers for action 2 and action 4 are the same

Similarly action 3 might not take priority over action 4 as 3 has only one task which is greater in number whereas action 4 has 2 tasks greater in number

I am confused by action 3 since it's said - if X is higher than Y by one or more standards, then X will take priority over Y. Urgency of action 3 already higher than action 4 so why the answer is maynot
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [1]
Given Kudos: 222
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: ISB IIMA INSEAD
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q79 V79 DI77
GMAT Focus 2:
575 Q80 V81 DI75
GMAT 1: 460 Q36 V18 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: The table ranks the urgency of, and local expertise and resources for, [#permalink]
Kudos
JoeAa wrote:
Omkar_GMAT wrote:
Action 1 will take priority over 4 as numbers for Action 1 (Urgency 3, Local expertise 3 and Local resources 1) is greater than Action 4 (Urgency 2, local experise 2 and Local resources 1)

Action 2 might not take priorities as numbers for action 2 and action 4 are the same

Similarly action 3 might not take priority over action 4 as 3 has only one task which is greater in number whereas action 4 has 2 tasks greater in number

I am confused by action 3 since it's said - if X is higher than Y by one or more standards, then X will take priority over Y. Urgency of action 3 already higher than action 4 so why the answer is maynot

Firstly in all the categories ranking should match atleast and to make it apple to apple comparison.

Secondly in order to take priority it any one or more category ranking should exceed in order to take the priority.

So simply said it ranking should be similar in all three categories and higher in order to take the priority.

Hope this clarifies
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
jack5397 wrote:
JoeAa wrote:
Omkar_GMAT wrote:

Firstly in all the categories ranking should match atleast and to make it apple to apple comparison.

Secondly in order to take priority it any one or more category ranking should exceed in order to take the priority.

So simply said it ranking should be similar in all three categories and higher in order to take the priority.

Hope this clarifies

Thanks for the reply and in that case does it mean the second line is totally irrelevant? 'higher than Y by one or more standards, then X will take priority over Y.'

or another scenario I could think of is when two categoryies having items rank the same, except for one and that determines the decision? Is that what you are trying to say?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [2]
Given Kudos: 222
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: ISB IIMA INSEAD
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q79 V79 DI77
GMAT Focus 2:
575 Q80 V81 DI75
GMAT 1: 460 Q36 V18 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
The table ranks the urgency of, and local expertise and resources for, [#permalink]
Kudos

Hope this clarifies[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and in that case does it mean the second line is totally irrelevant? 'higher than Y by one or more standards, then X will take priority over Y.'

or another scenario I could think of is when two categoryies having items rank the same, except for one and that determines the decision? Is that what you are trying to say?[/quote]

Yeah second line is irrelevant and just to make the question stem confusing.

In simple terms all the 3 categories need to have same ranking to qualify.

For e.g.

Action Category - 1 Category - 2
A-1. 2 3
A-2. 3 3

In the above example A-2 will have priority over A-1. A-2 ranks are => A-1 ranks in both the categories.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q76 V84 DI80
GMAT Focus 2:
615 Q78 V86 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Can someone say the directions in simple english? I think the difficulty of this problem stems from it being so convoluted in its description of the directions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V32
Send PM
This is such a poorly written question in my opinion. How are we supposed to know that the comparison is from Action 4 (X) to either Action 2 or 3 (Y). The way the question is written it sounds like we are being asked if either action 2 or 3 would take action over action 4, and thus making action 2/3 the X variable and action 4 the Y variable. Bunuel any input or am I clearly missing something. (I am also disregarding the action 1 question as that is straight forward)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644343 [3]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
The table ranks the urgency of, and local expertise and resources for, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Jake7Wimmer wrote:
The table ranks the urgency of, and local expertise and resources for, various actions a certain nonprofit environmental group is considering in order to address potential local effects of climate change. Higher numbers indicate greater urgency, greater amounts of expertise, and greater amounts of resources. Principle: When comparing any two actions, X and Y, if X ranks at least as high as Y by all three standards, and higher than Y by one or more standards, then X will take priority over Y.

ActionUrgencyLocal expertiseLocal resources
1. Advise city on comprehensive plan331
2. Assess watershed vulnerability to climate change2I2
3. Create planning and discussion forum311
4. Incorporate dimate change effects in habitat
restoration plans
5. Research dimate change impact on fishery
sustain ability
6. Restore tidal wetlands211
(Sort ↕ the table by clicking on the headers)

This is such a poorly written question in my opinion. How are we supposed to know that the comparison is from Action 4 (X) to either Action 2 or 3 (Y). The way the question is written it sounds like we are being asked if either action 2 or 3 would take action over action 4, and thus making action 2/3 the X variable and action 4 the Y variable. Bunuel any input or am I clearly missing something. (I am also disregarding the action 1 question as that is straight forward)

Firstly, this is an official question, and its wording is as good and precise as it gets.

Forget about X and Y. The highlighted part in the stem means that when comparing any two actions, if an action has at least as high standards as the second action in all three standards, and it surpasses the second action in one or more standards, then the first action takes priority over the second action.

We are comparing Action 4 with Actions 1, 2, and 3:

Action 1 has all three standards higher than Action 4. Hence, Action 1 will take priority over Action 4.

Action 2 does NOT have all three standards as high as and higher than Action 4: Local expertise for Action 2 is not at least as high as that of Action 4. Hence, Action 2 will NOT take priority over Action 4.

Action 3 does NOT have all three standards as high as and higher than Action 4: Local expertise for Action 3 is not at least as high as that of Action 4. Hence, Action 3 will NOT take priority over Action 4.

Hope it's clear.­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
94621 posts
DI Forum Moderator
997 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11475 posts