Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:09 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39638 [18]
Given Kudos: 5866
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39638 [4]
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1303 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: The table summarizes total sales information for a large production co [#permalink]
1) Consumer purchases of electronics typically drop just after the month of December, but they revive within two to three months.-> Would not help explain

2) Companies that have electronics, housewares, and automotive product lines tend to have higher total sales in housewares than do companies that sell only one or two of these product lines. ->Would help explain

3) The housewares division took a $1.1 million loss in March due to an accounting change.-> Would not help explain
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.96
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: The table summarizes total sales information for a large production co [#permalink]
Would help explain Would not help explain
Consumer purchases of electronics typically drop just after the month of December, but they revive within two to three months. - would help explain since in the first three months the elctronic sales of company is going from 1831.8 to 2091.49 to 2243.20
, thus info if true helps explain some of the info in table

Companies that have electronics, housewares, and automotive product lines tend to have higher total sales in housewares than do companies that sell only one or two of these product lines.: would not help explain now if we see table tje houseware share in sales is less than elctronics share , so this does not help explain information in table in any way -
The housewares division took a $1.1 million loss in March due to an accounting change :
would not help explain :if we see household sales in feb and march these are 2112.51 k and 2165.13 k respectively , so a change of only 52.62K from feb to march and then from April onwards it maintains the sales in 2000K types , so nowhere does loss of 1.1m$ reflect in the houseware divisions functioning
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail: E-commerce)
Send PM
For each of the following statements, select Would help explain if the statement would, if true, help explain some of the information in the table. Otherwise, select Would not help explain.

Consumer purchases of electronics typically drop just after the month of December, but they revive within two to three months. Would help Explain - The electronic purchases (In Million dollars) in Jan=1.83; Feb=2.09; Mar=2.24; Apr=2.54. We can see an increasing trends following the month of Jan. Even though we do not have info about purchases in Dec, it can be partially inferred. (since the ques is asking "some of the information in the table"

Companies that have electronics, housewares, and automotive product lines tend to have higher total sales in housewares than do companies that sell only one or two of these product lines.Would help Explain
Jan = 2.05
Feb = 2.11
Mar = 2.16
Apr = 2.37
May = 2.20
Jun = 2.38
Even though the contribution is decreasing, the total sales in the months of Mar-Jun each (since the inception of automotive) is greater than that of Jan-Feb Each.

The housewares division took a $1.1 million loss in March due to an accounting change.Would Not Help Explain
Sale in Feb = 2.11, in Mar=2.16. There is an increase in sales.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39638 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is a medium level question with answers are as follow:

Would help explain, would help explain and would not help explain.

I don’t know where you guys fell in trap, I will post the OE though. Sumi1010 good effort. rocky620 rocked here once again, very well explanation.
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Well, the math is not a challenge here, but deciding whether the statements would help explain the numbers certainly is. For the first statement to be true, the difference from one month to the net at least should be somewhat significant. We are talking about a disappearingly small difference between february and march that could have happened due to chance.

But ok, I learned from this that even a small difference is enough.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 890 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
95944 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11496 posts
71 posts