Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64975 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64975 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATD11 wrote:
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's overhead cost and production cost. If the production cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in that same month?

(1) The overhead cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January.

(2) Before the changes in January, the overhead cost of producing item X was 5 times the production cost of producing item X.

Guys i marked B but its wrong.

Pls discuss

Goal: determine the exact percent increase/decrease in the total cost of producing item X in January. In order to arrive at a specific value, we need to know the relative change for the overhead and production costs, since they sum to the total cost, as well as their relative size. We are told that production costs fell by 5%.

Statement 1) We know that the overhead cost increased by 13%, but we don't know its size or the size of the production costs. Insufficient.

Statement 2) We are told that the overhead costs are 5 times the production costs, but we don't know the size of either. Without the size, we can't do a weighted average to find the overall change. Insufficient.

Statements 1+2) We are told that the relative sizes of both as well as the change to the variable costs over the period we care about, so we can set up a weighted average formula:

1/6*(-5%) + 5/6(13%) = 10%

Sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
GMATD11 wrote:
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's overhead cost and production cost. If the production cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in that same month?

(2) Before the changes in January, the overhead cost of producing item X was 5 times the production cost of producing item X.

Pls discuss

Hi,

I saw many replies to this and people rejected B because QUESTION DOES NOT TELL US ABOUT CHANGES IN OVERHEAD COST!

My query is WHY ON EARTH ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT Overhead cost?

We are given
C= O+P

and P in January became = 95/100 *P
Cost in January will be = O + 95/100 * P

Statement 2 ) Before changes, O = 5P

So our original eqn will be

C= 6P ...................................... eqn 1 (before change)
C = 6 * 95/100 * P....................... eqn 2 (after change)

Hence we can find out percent change! isn't it?

I need help please GMATNinja bb VeritasPrepKarishma Bunuel
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64975 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rocko911 wrote:
GMATD11 wrote:

Pls discuss

Hi,

I saw many replies to this and people rejected B because QUESTION DOES NOT TELL US ABOUT CHANGES IN OVERHEAD COST!

My query is WHY ON EARTH ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT Overhead cost?

We are given
C= O+P

and P in January became = 95/100 *P
Cost in January will be = O + 95/100 * P

Statement 2 ) Before changes, O = 5P

So our original eqn will be

C= 6P ...................................... eqn 1 (before change)
C = 6 * 95/100 * P....................... eqn 2 (after change)

Hence we can find out percent change! isn't it?

I need help please GMATNinja bb VeritasPrepKarishma Bunuel

The problem with your method is that you are assuming that the overhead cost REMAINS SAME. That may not be true.

Before changes, O = 5P
C = O + P
After changes O may not be 5 times P. What if O actually increases? Since P decreases in Jan, O will be more than 5 times P.
So you cannot write C = 5P + P for January.

Statement 1 should anyway give you a hint that statement 2 is not sufficient since you do not know the change in O. Stmnt 1 tells us that there is a change in O and the two statements cannot be in conflict.
Hope this helps.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
GMATD11 wrote:

Pls discuss

The reason 'B' is not the answer is that you are not allowed to 'assume' anything in DS questions.
You know that production cost increased by 5%. Using statement 2, you also see that production cost is a sixth of the total cost. So you assume that you know the change in the total cost. But remember, you are assuming here that overhead cost hasn't changed. Since you do not know whether overhead cost is the same or has changed, you cannot say anything about the decrease/increase in the overall cost. Even if you overlooked this, statement 1 should have reminded you that overhead cost could have changed too. Hence the answer has to be (c).

Quote:

In the ques if total cost is fixed cost + variable cost, then fixed cost should be fixed so therefore answer should be (B). I am not assuming anything. I am just considering fixed cost as fixed.

But most of the people answered option C as correct. Please help me.

What is the meaning of fixed cost of producing something? It is the overhead cost that must be paid irrespective of how many units are produced. For example, rent of the premises must be paid and is the same irrespective of whether you manufacture 10 units or 10,000.
Variable cost depends on number of units produced - say cost of raw material. If more units need to be produced, this cost is more.

Fixed cost does not mean that it cannot change. When you assume that fixed cost is the same month on month, you are assuming that say the rent has not increased etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 363
Schools: IE
Send PM
man, you always rock!!

Bunuel wrote:
knabi wrote:
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's fixed cost and variable cost. If the variable cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in January?

(1) The fixed cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January.

(2) Before the changes in January, the fixed cost of producing item X was 5 times the variable cost of producing item X.

-----------
My question is, why isn't the answer B? The prompt didn't say fixed cost MUST change...

(2) is not sufficient as we don't know what happened with fixed cost in January. Didi it increase? Decrease? Remained the same? As we have no information about it we can not assume anything. So it's clear C. Below is calculations for C:

Let the total cost in January be \(C_2\) and the total cost before be \(C_1\).

Given: \(C_2=F_2+V_2\) and \(C_1=F_1+V_1\), also \(V_2=0.95V_1\).
Question: \(\frac{C_2}{C_1}=\frac{F_2+V_2}{F_1+V_1}=\frac{F_2+0.95V_1}{F_1+V_1}=?\)

(1) The fixed cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January --> \(F_2=1.13F_1\) --> \(\frac{1.13F_1+0.95V_1}{F_1+V_1}=?\). Not sufficient to get the exact fraction.

(2) Before the changes in January, the fixed cost of producing item X was 5 times the variable cost of producing item X --> \(F_1=5V_1\) --> \(\frac{F_2+0.95V_1}{5V_1+V_1}=?\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(F_2=1.13F_1\) and \(F_1=5V_1\) --> \(F_2=1.13F_1=5.65V_1\) --> from (2) \(\frac{F_2+0.95V_1}{F_1+V_1}=?\) --> substituting \(F_2\) and \(F_1\)--> \(\frac{5.65V_1+0.95V_1}{5V_1+V_1}=\frac{6.6}{6}=1.1\) --> in January total cost increased by 10%. Sufficient. (Actually no calculations are needed: stem and statement provide us with such relationships of 4 unknowns that 3 of them can be written with help of the 4th one and when we put them in fraction, which we want to calculate, then this last unknown is reduced, leaving us with numerical value).

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I think B has to be sufficient here. From the day we started studying DS, we have been told that when evaluating each of statement 1) and 2), we need to evaluate them independently and in isolation.

1) here is clearly not sufficient. When we evaluate 2), this is the information we have with us:

a. Total cost = Fixed + Variable
b. Variable cost decreased by 5%
c. Fixed cost = 5 times of Variable cost

By what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in January?

We can answer this question. If nothing has been given about Fixed cost, surely we have to assume that it did not change. I don't think we need to account for the possibility that Fixed cost could have changed too, we need to operate strictly within the boundaries of the information provided to us. You would not need to account for such random assumptions in an official GMAT question, or even a GMATClub question for that matter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
144144 wrote:
Karishma - can u plz post ur blogging that dealing with this weighted average system?

Here you go:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... -averages/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/04 ... ge-brutes/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/04 ... -mixtures/

My signature gives the link to all my blog posts (they are together under the section 'Quarter Wit, Quarter Wisdom'). I have given the link for the weighted average related posts above.

KarishmaB
These links don't work anymore. Can you share updated links?
Tutor
Send PM
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
144144 wrote:
Karishma - can u plz post ur blogging that dealing with this weighted average system?

Here you go:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... -averages/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/04 ... ge-brutes/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/04 ... -mixtures/

My signature gives the link to all my blog posts (they are together under the section 'Quarter Wit, Quarter Wisdom'). I have given the link for the weighted average related posts above.

KarishmaB
These links don't work anymore. Can you share updated links?

Namangupta1997
Please check my signature for the link to the relevant blog posts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 2385
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
I was able to solve this question quickly without any calculation by using the mixtures / weighted averages concept.

Item 1: overhead cost
Item 2: production cost
Two items combined: total cost

"Weight" of item 1: Not given
"Weight" of item 2: Not given

"Average" % change of item 1: Not given
"Average" % change of item 2: 5%

S1. Provides the average % change of item 1 but we still need the relative weight of the two items to know how much each change in average impacts the combined item: total cost

INSUFFICIENT

S2. Provides relative weight of the two items but we now don't have the average % change of item 1

INSUFFICIENT

Combining the statements, we have all the info we need for a definitive value.

SUFFICIENT
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92974 posts