Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4041 [32]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [4]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: There are also, unfortunately, of the myriad of concerns [#permalink]
Mike,

Can you please explain, what's the difference between special and especial?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
piyushm01 wrote:
Mike,
Can you please explain, what's the difference between special and especial?
Thanks,

Dear Piyushm01,
That's a fantastic question.

First of all, the adjective "especial" is exceedingly rare. It actually makes this sentence sound a bit awkward, because the adjective form of "especial" is almost never used. This word is used almost exclusively in its adverb form, "especially". That's one huge difference ---- 99% of the time, you will see the adjective "special", not the adverb, and 99% of the time, you will see the adverb "especially", not the adjective.

Both words mean "out of the ordinary" ----- the difference is subtle. The word "special" connotes rising above the ordinary or standing out from the ordinary ---- "special delivery", "a special occasion", etc. The words "especial" and "especially" connote something unique to a particular noun. We never talk about someone being "specially good at something", but we would talk about something being "especially good at something" ---- that is to say, a level of "goodness", a level of talent or competence, that characterizes this individual and sets this individual apart from others.

Again, don't take the usage in this sentence as typical. As I have said, it is exceedingly unusual to see the adjective form "especial" in any context.

Mike :-)

Thanks Mike..for detailed clarification :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Don't you think removing "unfortunately" for option E is changing the meaning of the sentence? I was thinking B is nearest that keeps the meaning intact.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [0]
Expert Reply
Quantumdigitz wrote:
Don't you think removing "unfortunately" for option E is changing the meaning of the sentence? I was thinking B is nearest that keeps the meaning intact.

Dear Quantumdigitz,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the text of the question again. Unfortunately, there seem to be a few mistakes in the way it was posted, and I can find no other copy on the web to make corrections. :-(
There are also, unfortunately, of the myriad of concerns facing our nation, especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches these bodies require careful scrutiny and oversight by experts.
A) There are also, unfortunately, of the myriad of concerns facing our nation, especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches
B) Unfortunately, there are, of the myriad concerns facing our nation, especial reason for concern regarding government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches; the
C) Of the myriad concerns facing our nation, especially there is reason for government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches; these
D) Especially there is reason to be concerned over government corruption, out of the myriad concerns facing our nation, as it is both within and without the legislative and executive branches, the
E) Of the myriad concerns facing our nation, there is especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches as these

Choice (B) has a few problems
(a) The "There are ...." is a particularly weak and unimpressive opening, especially when the subject is halfway across the sentence
(b) The big issue: SV Agreement --- "There are ... especial reason"
(c) The word "especially" as an adverb sounds natural, if a little colloquial; but the corresponding "especial" sounds awkward.
(d) The ending & transition to the rest of the sentence --- "branches; the these bodies" --- I don't whether this was a mistranscription by whoever posted the question.
The point is, though, for all these reasons, (B) cannot possibly be the answer.

Does (E) change the meaning? I don't think so. You see, the fact that we are concerned about the major problem of "government corruption" ---- that's bad. We already know that's bad. We don't need the word "unfortunately" to tell us that it's bad, or to tell us that the speaker is gravely concerned with this problem. One could argue that, in the context of the whole sentence, the word "unfortunately" is redundant --- even if it's not, it really adds no new information to the sentence, to it's superfluous, and (E) wisely discards it.

Here's a free video lesson about redundancy on the GMAT SC:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/920-avoid-redundancy

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A) There are also, unfortunately, of the myriad of concerns facing our nation, especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches
B) Unfortunately, there are, of the myriad concerns facing our nation, especial reason for concern regarding government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches; the
C) Of the myriad concerns facing our nation, especially there is reason for government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches; these
D) Especially there is reason to be concerned over government corruption, out of the myriad concerns facing our nation, as it is both within and without the legislative and executive branches, the
E) Of the myriad concerns facing our nation, there is especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches as these

Can I consider option A and B have MODIFIER phrase issue and no clear subject?
So eliminate A and B
E
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
rvcrackgmat31 wrote:
Could you please breakdown this question ?

Hello, rvcrackgmat31. I am guessing you already checked out this post above by Mike McGarry, who offered his take on each of the options. (If not, you should check to see whether the question makes more sense.) I will offer a brief analysis on how I approached the question, since it differs somewhat from what I see in that post.

emmak wrote:
There are also, unfortunately, of the myriad of concerns facing our nation, especial reason to be concerned about government corruption both within and without the legislative and executive branches these bodies require careful scrutiny and oversight by experts.

I will be honest and say that I wrote off both the original sentence and (B) for making the same subject-verb agreement violation: there are, a plural subject that starts the main clause, needs to agree with a plural noun as the clause continues, but we get the singular reason instead. Note that the prepositional phrase (of... nation) does not continue the main clause, but breaks off of it to provide additional information. We can tell this by the use of the double commas. Thus, the main clause in (A) and (B) goes, There are... especial reason... There could be other issues, but once I know something is wrong in a sentence, I get rid of that option and see how other continuations might correct that issue.

emmak wrote:

Again, we see two answer choices that fall into a similar track and suffer from the same shortcoming. I like the opening phrase of (C), and there is reason is fine in terms of subject-verb agreement, but we see the unidiomatic and out-of-order especially there is reason. I did not bother getting into the subtle differences between special and especial, opting instead to interpret especially as particularly: particularly there is reason is not an acceptable way to convey this idea. You can say, there is particular reason or, slightly more antiquated (not that I would expect to see it on the GMAT™), there is reason particularly, but the adverb should not start the main clause. Once again, I have a compelling reason to cross off two answer choices without going past the first few words, so that is just what I do. All I hope at this point is that (E) makes sense.

emmak wrote:

The prepositional phrase works just as well as it did in (C), and now the adverb problem has been fixed: there is especial reason (or particular reason) is fitting. A quick check at the end to ensure that it would also work—as these bodies require careful scrutiny—and yes, I can see that as is used in a since capacity, and nothing stands out as being problematic. This is undoubtedly the best answer of the bunch.

If anything, I would like to stress that you do not need to have a complete grasp of every technicality or split in a Sentence Correction question to walk away with the correct answer. Neither does it have to be a laborious process. This question took me about half a minute in all, since I knew that (A) and (B) were definitely incorrect for subject-verb agreement violations, while (C) and (D) were off the mark for a shared misplaced adverb. A quick check of (E), and that was all the confirmation I needed.

Sure, I can accept that I am more well-versed in SC than a lot of GMAT™ aspirants. At the same time, I write a lot about working smarter, not harder, to arrive at the correct conclusion. If I approached each iteration of a sentence on its own merits, sooner or later everything would start to look the same. I get rid of what I know is wrong first, then I check for doubts, and finally I choose the answer with the fewest marks against it.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts