Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [4]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: This year, the total number of hotdogs sold was higher than total numb [#permalink]
MentorTutoring wrote:
ankit1607 wrote:
A would be correct if it was stated as -

Henry's hotdog opened atleast one new stand this year..... instead of past year, which refers to year had lesser number of sales

Hello, ankit1607. The answer choice is fine as written: in the past year could refer to any time from 365 days ago (or thereabouts) to the present. As long as some new Henry's Hotdog had opened and sold hotdogs within the past year (maybe even today), the apparent discrepancy between the higher number of hot dogs sold last year and the decreased number of hotdogs sold at every stand that was in operation this year and last year would be resolved. I think your interpretation of the timeline is a little too strict, although I understand how you could have arrived at such a conclusion.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

- Andrew

Thank You for your reply. After knowing correct answer, answer choice seems to be correct but I would still prefer 'this year'. As, same is used in Choice B s well.
I want to know if Choice A would appear as is, if had put in real GMAT or GMAT usually avoids such possible misinterpreted Choices?
I am new to CR so may be this sounds silly to you but Please bear with me here.

-Ankit
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: This year, the total number of hotdogs sold was higher than total numb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankit1607 wrote:
Thank You for your reply. After knowing correct answer, answer choice seems to be correct but I would still prefer 'this year'. As, same is used in Choice B s well.
I want to know if Choice A would appear as is, if had put in real GMAT or GMAT usually avoids such possible misinterpreted Choices?
I am new to CR so may be this sounds silly to you but Please bear with me here.

-Ankit

Hello, Ankit. No, your question is not silly at all. I know what you mean about ambiguity of meaning, a feature that is a hallmark of incorrect answers in SC, for example. That is fine to prefer the phrasing of one choice over another, but it is really the content that steers one answer into a correct path and another into one that is off-course. I would like to say that official GMAT™ questions always avoid such issues of potential misinterpretation, but sometimes that is not so. You have to be careful in weighing up the pros and cons, in terms of holistic meaning, of each answer choice in CR and RC before committing to something, without getting caught up too much in the way the same idea may be conveyed. In choice (B), for instance, even ignoring the temporal part, you have fewer people are eating hotdogs, and no information from the passage allows you to make such a conclusion about the number of people who may be eating hotdogs altogether--notice that Henry's is not even mentioned specifically. In your first sweep of the answer choices, look for obvious outliers to pick off, then go back through whatever remains and see if you can determine which answer is easier to argue against. Get rid of that one and choose the other.

I hope that helps. Keep the questions coming if you have them. That is what GMAT Club is all about.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The first line of argument should be "This year, the total number of hotdogs sold by henry's was higher than total number sold last year." Because if it's not mentioned then E could also be correct.

So Lets say the total number of hotdogs sold last year = 100
Total number of hodogs sold this year = 200

Henry sold last year = 50
henry sold this year = 40 (since at every store, there was a decrease in number of hotdogs sold)

so henry's share (last year) = 50/100 = 50%
Henry's share (this year) = 40/200 = 20%

Also A could be invalidated by considering the case of new chain in town.

please share your insight. Is there any alternate explanation?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts