GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 16:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Haas '21
GRE 1: Q162 V161
GPA: 3.1
Premium Member CAT Tests
Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 02:46
I use a scratch paper timing strategy similar to the ones outlined below:

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-3/

My question is how much time do I have on the first few instruction screens? Since I take the exam in the quant/verbal/IR/AWA order, I would like to know how much time Ill have to set up my scratch paper for the quant portion.

I understand that I cannot write on my paper during the break, so Ill only have 30 seconds to set up my scratch paper for the verbal section (unless I am missing something).
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 18:25
jmabach wrote:

My question is how much time do I have on the first few instruction screens? Since I take the exam in the quant/verbal/IR/AWA order, I would like to know how much time Ill have to set up my scratch paper for the quant portion.

I understand that I cannot write on my paper during the break, so Ill only have 30 seconds to set up my scratch paper for the verbal section (unless I am missing something).

Great question. Times have been cut in half:

New GMAT format:

2 minutes for Tutorial screens
1 minute for Section Order
30 seconds for Section Instructions

Old GMAT Format:

4 minutes for Tutorial screens
2 minutes for Section Order
1 minute for Section Instructions

For the verbal section, here is an alternative I often recommend:

Set up one page (the final page of the pad) for the verbal section in advance, during the initial instructions screens (and don't swap out your pad during the break). Orient the pad horizontally (so that it's wider), and make 36 columns to record your Process Of Elimination. Of course, this one page method will work best if you are not taking a lot of notes. Some people recommend notes on RC, but I recommend focusing time and energy instead on Finding Specific Proof In The Passage, based on the Keywords and focus of that specific question. I believe that Finding Proof is the best method to ensure 90+% accuracy and a very high score; our memories are flawed and the wrong answer choices take advantage of this.

I offer online tutoring -- please message me if you would like a free consultation.

Intern
Intern
Re: Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 09:51
A few quick follow-up questions - will there be a timer displayed in each of those sections (tutorial, section order, and section instructions)? And, will I physically need to scroll through the tutorial or will it automatically shift to the section order after 2 minutes?

Also, I'm assuming the school selection is separate from the tutorial, section order, and section instructions, correct? Thanks!
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 21:35
greenbj1 wrote:
A few quick follow-up questions - will there be a timer displayed in each of those sections (tutorial, section order, and section instructions)? And, will I physically need to scroll through the tutorial or will it automatically shift to the section order after 2 minutes?

Also, I'm assuming the school selection is separate from the tutorial, section order, and section instructions, correct? Thanks!
1. Yes, there will be a timer on all those screens, so you will be able to see how much time is left.

2. You will have to click the "next" button at certain points in your test (you can try the tutorial here). However, if you don't do anything, the section you're on will automatically time out (after the allotted time) and the next section will start. For example, if you don't make a selection on the select section order screen, the test will choose the default (AWA-IR-Quant-Verbal) order after one minute and start your test.

3. School selection is indeed separate from the tutorial :-)

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Re: Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 21:35

Timing Strategy Question: Time limit of the new instruction screens?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap