Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:22 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9250 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [1]
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Took the GMAT, got 660. Help me get 740+ in 2 months [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi energetics,

660 is a nice start! I’m happy to address your questions.

-- I'm already working on the issues (mentioned below) but would like specific advice on how to go about fixing things like weak algebra (besides "do more algebra problems!"). Is it really just as simple as sitting down and re-doing all the problems I get wrong to drill the steps necessary?

Since you scored Q43, it’s clear you have some significant knowledge gaps that must be addressed in order for you to improve your GMAT quant score. Thus, rather than just redoing old problems, you should follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each quant topic and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. By studying in this way you can ensure that you methodically and gradually improve your GMAT quant skills. You can follow a similar approach for verbal.

-- Am I burning myself out trying to do too many timed CATs? Recently I have taken them almost every other day and I feel like it was a mistake to do my last GMAT Prep the day before the test.

I don’t think you should take any further practice exams until you’ve improved your quant and verbal skills.

-- Is it worthwhile to hire a private tutor? My hope would be that they could identify weak concept areas even though I feel like I mostly don't have 'specific' questions so it might be a waste. I also feel like I mostly understand the concepts but - to use a metaphor - have more trouble reaching into my bag of knowledge and picking out the correct thing quickly under timed pressure.

Before thinking about a GMAT tutor, the real question that you need to answer is why, after significant prep, you are still 80 points off your score goal. Although a tutor can certainly help you improve your GMAT skills, the bulk of your prep will still be done independently. Thus, even if you end up working with a tutor, you want to ensure that you use thorough prep materials to improve your GMAT skills in between your sessions. With that in mind, I recommend that you spend some time reading success stories of past GMAT students as well as reviews of various GMAT prep courses to see what prep materials have worked for other test-takers.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach out.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi energetics,

To start, a 660 is a strong score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. The Q43 won't "impress" anyone though, so there's a certain logic to retesting (and you certainly have the opportunity to pick up some serious points in the Quant section). Since you're interested in some highly-competitive Schoos, beyond having a strong GMAT Score, you need to have a strong OVERALL profile AND you need to properly "market yourself" to each individual Program that you apply to. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. While you probably already know this, there's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

From what you describe, there are areas that you clearly have not been working on. You're probably trying to do too much work "in your head" (which is the WORST way to approach a GMAT question). Based on your Quant Scaled Scores from your CATs, your general "math skills" are likely fine. Getting in some extra Algebra practice would probably be a good idea, but you seem dead-set on not taking advantage of how the GMAT is written - and that mindset is keeping you from scoring higher. The GMAT is a big 'critical thinking test' - and as such, it rewards Test Takers who know how to think about questions in critical and strategic ways (the same ways that Business Schools want you to be thinking). Quant and Verbal Tactics are absolutely essential to scoring at the highest levels (and Tactics work on questions of all difficulty levels, so if you want a Q49+, then you're going to have to hone your Tactical skills).

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you have purchased the ESR, I'll be happy to analyze it for you. If you would rather not post that information publicly, then you can feel free to PM or email it to me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
energetics wrote:
I scored a 660 Q43 V38 on the GMAT I took last month. I'm looking to get it up to at least 740 in the next 2 months. I suppose I had some test jitters and definitely timing issues (I ran out of time to submit my answer on the last question on quant so it was unanswered and was at a 5 something minute deficit on verbal because I took too long of a break...) but looking at my overall averages for previous official practice tests the score is actually exactly on point.

Some indicators of previous performance:

-- This month I started to do timed GMAT Club Tests, Scores: Q:47,40,34,36,42,49,42,46,30,29, V:45)

n.b. I take CATs at fluctuating times and with poor sleep sometimes, so some of those low scores can be chalked up to that but surely there are still other issues.

My Prep & Plan:
-- Timeline: about 2 months
-- Applying: Top 10 schools and a couple safety schools in R2
-- I've finished all the OG/Quant book math (haven't looked at the newest editions for extra Qs yet), doing GMAT Club tests now
-- Did about half the verbal questions, no time recently, but I need to do these on a regular basis to not forget things.
-- Rereading MGMAT books, useful posts on GMATClub

Some questions:
-- I'm already working on the issues (mentioned below) but would like specific advice on how to go about fixing things like weak algebra (besides "do more algebra problems!"). Is it really just as simple as sitting down and re-doing all the problems I get wrong to drill the steps necessary?

-- Am I burning myself out trying to do too many timed CATs? Recently I have taken them almost every other day and I feel like it was a mistake to do my last GMAT Prep the day before the test.

-- Is it worthwhile to hire a private tutor? My hope would be that they could identify weak concept areas even though I feel like I mostly don't have 'specific' questions so it might be a waste. I also feel like I mostly understand the concepts but - to use a metaphor - have more trouble reaching into my bag of knowledge and picking out the correct thing quickly under timed pressure.

-- Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

My thoughts about current weaknesses:
-- Timing is definitely an issue. On verbal I usually just go until I run out of time and then start guessing at the end. I think I need to nail down specific rules to eliminate faster in SC and have a better algorithm for evaluating CR rather than just going off gut feelings, but honestly I have spent 95% of my time studying math because I am so weak at it... just to give you an idea, at the start of my prep I had to do the MGMAT introductory math guide because I didn't remember how to express negative exponents as a fraction or that I had to switch the sign when multiplying by a negative number in inequalities and other elementary things like that.

-- I think the biggest issue are lingering weak understanding of fundamentals. Like, getting confused and not being sure about performing some operation, second guessing myself and then asking “wait, am I allowed to do this” and then taking time to figure it out. On quant I try to guess 'strategically' following MGMAT guidelines from Advanced Quant and their time-keeping strategy. However, I'm pretty bad at using backsolving or 'thinking logically' and eliminating answer choices when I feel pressure due to being behind on time; I just want to rush into doing calculations. Obviously, I would rather not guess at all, but again, it takes me too long do some problems. Another issue is applying the knowledge I have to solving problems. Sometimes, it just takes me too long to figure out what they want and how to get to the solution.

-- Algebra is also a big problem, in particular, I'm horrible at manipulating equations in stems and AC ... I don't see shortcuts enough so I resort to number picking. I feel like if I can grasp underlying concepts better I can use logic to come to quick deductions about ACs ... I think this is a big problem currently because if I 'see through' a 700 level problem I can solve it in under a 2 minutes correctly, but if I'm unsure and I have to pick and test numbers and it will take 3 or 4 minutes. This is especially the case for hard number properties/inequalities/modulus questions and statistics questions. If I can draw or picture what is going on in a problem it is a lot easier to intuit answers on DS rather than making equations to figure out what's going on.

-- Writing neatly and systematically (on my actual exam I remember I made a mistake in calculations on what I'd say was a low 700 level percent problem and I couldn't figure out what I wrote to get to the end result so I wasted about 5 minutes...) Along with this I need to not get mixed up with simple arithmetic and check answers for traps/common mistakes (again, the problem is that I feel like I DON'T have time to do this, even though I know I must). Sometimes even on problems I know how to solve 100% i get mixed up in writing down variables, etc and end up wasting a lot of time or make stupid mistakes.

P.S. Hopefully this is not too huge of a wall of text...

P.P.S. I have my ESR if it's necessary. I don't think it was that useful other than that it told me I need to work on inequalities and FDP which I already knew were weak going into it, and that my RC was 'weak' because I ended up having to guess on an entire passage.

energetics
You have a very low quant score, I suppose that could arise from exposure to too much outside material, I've got two posts for you that might help
Please leave kudos if they help.

I'd suggest you to stick with official GMAT Material develop momentum and strike. I also think you can easily score a Q 49, 47 atleast.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginner-to- ... s#p2313182
https://gmatclub.com/forum/hit-a-platea ... s#p2314655

You can apply momentum strategy discussed in link 1, plz leave a like if i was even a lil helpful
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Would really appreciate any expert insights into what I'm doing wrong or what I can do differently to improve.

EMPOWERgmatRichC JeffTargetTestPrep ScottTargetTestPrep IanStewart VeritasKarishma GMATNinja GMATGuruNY
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you for the responses, Scott and Rich. I've added my redacted ESR below:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi energetics,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Thanks for posting energetics! Our ESRs are remarkably similar... I took my GMAT on July 21.

Looking at our ESRs really makes me wonder what happened in Section 2 of the Verbal section on our GMATs...

Rich: do you mind sharing what you shared with energetics with me given our similarities?
Attachments

File comment: GMAT5
GMAT5.JPG
GMAT5.JPG [ 250.73 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

File comment: GMAT4
GMAT4.JPG
GMAT4.JPG [ 302.51 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

File comment: GMAT3
GMAT3.JPG
GMAT3.JPG [ 256.2 KiB | Viewed 1300 times ]

File comment: GMAT2
GMAT2.JPG